• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 WR450 setup Timbersled Feedback

AkBob

Premium Member
Apr 3, 2008
I thought I would chime in on some setup things that I have discovered as a bit of a bike newbie. I have a Timbersled kit mounted on a 2005 Yamaha WR450f. I am 6'4 and about 220 all geared up. I changed the rear shock air pressure to 65lbs rear and 80lbs front and I took out the 1/2 inch spacer from the coupler block to attempt to aid in weight transfer. A little better I think. Per Timbersled's recommendation, I moved the ski back as far as possible by redrilling the spindle such that the rear mounting hole is as far back as possible and still capture a piece of the spindle. In conjunction with doing that, you need to reverse the billet aluminum block between the spindle and the ski AND reverse the rubber cushion between the billet block and the ski. Repositioning the ski does improve packed trail manners noticeably.
As far as bike runnability, I talked with Jerry Dean from JD jetting, explained the mods that were done to the WR( basically "uncorking" the bike) and purchased his jet kit. Much richer than stock for my temps and elevation. In my case... Sea Level to 5000', 5 steps up on the main to a 170 , three steps up on the pilot to a 48 and his needle. Those changes improved cold start and overall runability I opted for a K&N filter primarily because their filter sock fits their filter very well. I rerouted carb vent lines AND THE CRANKCASE BREATHER tube to the airbox... both good moves. I sealed the air box the best I could and drilled several holes in the left and right side side cover. I covered those new holes with some frogskin material. Last weekend, our ride started at -10f varied to about +15 average 0. Bike ran good enough all day, no snow in the airbox and no internal icing. Carb itself was ice caked, but the bike ran and started all day. I was out with a couple of M8 162's and they could climb hills I could not. The chutes that were chosen were too narrow to tack and I just ran out of snort. The one attempt that led to a minor stuck forced me to sidehill my way out.... with help it was a ten minute oops. Same scenario with a sled would have involved a great deal more heavy breathing. Two weeks ago, I was with a group of 8 'A' riders all on current top end sleds. I kept pace and surprised the bunch. While the bike won't necessarily go everywhere a sled will directly, it will get there and you will have more fun along the way. One thing that is extra cool is you can pull into the trail head with the bike in the back of your pickup and take your pick of parking spots. When you are surrounded by 20' trucks with 30' enclosed trailers, you feel like a sports car!! I think I am getting close to getting the runablility issues sorted out regarding the bike.... my issues are more between my ears as to what it can do. It climbs where you think it shouldn't, it sidehills with zero effort, it threads trees effortlessly..... downhill in fluff great until it stops..... 2" crustlayer on top of three feet of sugar.... not so hot.

bottom line, after 25 years of riding in most of the same areas..... we have a lot to choose from in Alaska.... this new twist has captured my imagination and makes going to familiar places fresh and different. I committed to this enough to sell my 2010 M8 and I don't have any sellers remorse.

I would be interested in hearing from people that have experience with both carb and injected bikes and anyone one that has experience with the Rekluse clutch... Pickings are slim for injected enduro type bikes.... out local dealers include Yamaha,Honda, Suzuki and KTM.... no injected enduros in that mix.Husaberg a maybe but the step up would have to be substantial to justify no dealer support and price.comments?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I'm Glad you like the Bike conversion. They definitely allow you to get where no sled can go.. The Timbersled is the cats meow. Having owned and ridden the others, I got the chance to throw a leg over a few Mtn horses this last weekend. Very Impressive..
I have used both EFI bikes and Carb models, A power commander on the EFI took care of a hard to start and ill running RMZ. I really like the Rekluse and wouldn't own any bike, (snow or not) without one.
That being said, It was a real help on the 2moto for getting unstuck. I dont see that as such a big deal on the timbersled, as it floats so much better
The one issue I do have with a rekluse is freewheeling down hills.. Its tough to gas it when you are already going faster than you may want to..
Other than that you can work it as a normal clutch and have the ability to crawl out of a hole if you need to.

I'm Glad you like the Bike conversion. They definitely allow you to get where no sled can go.. The Timbersled is the cats meow. Having owned and ridden the others, I got the chance to throw a leg over a few Mtn horses this last weekend. Very Impressive..
I have used both EFI bikes and Carb models, A power commander on the EFI took care of a hard to start and ill running RMZ. I really like the Rekluse and wouldn't own any bike, (snow or not) without one.
That being said, It was a real help on the 2moto for getting unstuck. I dont see that as such a big deal on the timbersled, as it floats so much better
The one issue I do have with a rekluse is freewheeling down hills.. Its tough to gas it when you are already going faster than you may want to..
Other than that you can work it as a normal clutch and have the ability to crawl out of a hole if you need to.

Since you have ridden both 2moto and mountain horse, I get the impression from your post, that you would rather own a mountain horse. What are some of the reasons for picking a mountain horse over the 2moto.

AkBob

Premium Member
Apr 3, 2008

Regarding the freewheeling, same story with a sled, counter intuitive to add gas, but a spinning track is slower than a skidding track. Pucker factor for sure

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Since you have ridden both 2moto and mountain horse, I get the impression from your post, that you would rather own a mountain horse. What are some of the reasons for picking a mountain horse over the 2moto.

I owned a 2moto for almost 3 seasons, Loved it, But started riding larger Mtns with Snowhawk guys. I sold the 2moto and built a custom Hawk.. Love that..It isnt going anywhere..
I had the chance to ride a Timbersled outfited KTM 690 and CRf 450 back to back this last weekend. Deep snow, tight trees. I was amazed at how slow I could poke around threw the tight trees and not even think about getting stuck. My 2moto would have been sunk.
I also found the Timbersled to be easier to ride.
I think there are pros and cons to each.. But if I where to purchase a kit right now, The MtnHorse would be my choice.

I owned a 2moto for almost 3 seasons, Loved it, But started riding larger Mtns with Snowhawk guys. I sold the 2moto and built a custom Hawk.. Love that..It isnt going anywhere..
I had the chance to ride a Timbersled outfited KTM 690 and CRf 450 back to back this last weekend. Deep snow, tight trees. I was amazed at how slow I could poke around threw the tight trees and not even think about getting stuck. My 2moto would have been sunk.
I also found the Timbersled to be easier to ride.
I think there are pros and cons to each.. But if I where to purchase a kit right now, The MtnHorse would be my choice.

Despite the MH having that long track hanging out the back, the jump dynamic did not chance? Does the nose tend to plow?

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Despite the MH having that long track hanging out the back, the jump dynamic did not chance? Does the nose tend to plow?

My rides where fairly short, Didnt get a chance to really hit a decent jump, But it didnt feel like there would be any issue. The front felt decent, a wider ski would have been nice in the conditions I rode, but the stocker did fine.

M
May 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought I would chime in on some setup things that I have discovered as a bit of a bike newbie. I have a Timbersled kit mounted on a 2005 Yamaha WR450f. I am 6'4 and about 220 all geared up. I changed the rear shock air pressure to 65lbs rear and 80lbs front and I took out the 1/2 inch spacer from the coupler block to attempt to aid in weight transfer. A little better I think. Per Timbersled's recommendation, I moved the ski back as far as possible by redrilling the spindle such that the rear mounting hole is as far back as possible and still capture a piece of the spindle. In conjunction with doing that, you need to reverse the billet aluminum block between the spindle and the ski AND reverse the rubber cushion between the billet block and the ski. Repositioning the ski does improve packed trail manners noticeably.
As far as bike runnability, I talked with Jerry Dean from JD jetting, explained the mods that were done to the WR( basically "uncorking" the bike) and purchased his jet kit. Much richer than stock for my temps and elevation. In my case... Sea Level to 5000', 5 steps up on the main to a 170 , three steps up on the pilot to a 48 and his needle. Those changes improved cold start and overall runability I opted for a K&N filter primarily because their filter sock fits their filter very well. I rerouted carb vent lines AND THE CRANKCASE BREATHER tube to the airbox... both good moves. I sealed the air box the best I could and drilled several holes in the left and right side side cover. I covered those new holes with some frogskin material. Last weekend, our ride started at -10f varied to about +15 average 0. Bike ran good enough all day, no snow in the airbox and no internal icing. Carb itself was ice caked, but the bike ran and started all day. I was out with a couple of M8 162's and they could climb hills I could not. The chutes that were chosen were too narrow to tack and I just ran out of snort. The one attempt that led to a minor stuck forced me to sidehill my way out.... with help it was a ten minute oops. Same scenario with a sled would have involved a great deal more heavy breathing. Two weeks ago, I was with a group of 8 'A' riders all on current top end sleds. I kept pace and surprised the bunch. While the bike won't necessarily go everywhere a sled will directly, it will get there and you will have more fun along the way. One thing that is extra cool is you can pull into the trail head with the bike in the back of your pickup and take your pick of parking spots. When you are surrounded by 20' trucks with 30' enclosed trailers, you feel like a sports car!! I think I am getting close to getting the runablility issues sorted out regarding the bike.... my issues are more between my ears as to what it can do. It climbs where you think it shouldn't, it sidehills with zero effort, it threads trees effortlessly..... downhill in fluff great until it stops..... 2" crustlayer on top of three feet of sugar.... not so hot.

bottom line, after 25 years of riding in most of the same areas..... we have a lot to choose from in Alaska.... this new twist has captured my imagination and makes going to familiar places fresh and different. I committed to this enough to sell my 2010 M8 and I don't have any sellers remorse.

I would be interested in hearing from people that have experience with both carb and injected bikes and anyone one that has experience with the Rekluse clutch... Pickings are slim for injected enduro type bikes.... out local dealers include Yamaha,Honda, Suzuki and KTM.... no injected enduros in that mix.Husaberg a maybe but the step up would have to be substantial to justify no dealer support and price.comments?

Thanks for the great post. It's not often you read something on a board that doesn't reek of exaggeration.

I might be looking for a kit this summer... not sure. Anyways, I just ordered a Revloc DynaRing for my 525. I never really paid any attention to them untill recently, but they're substancially cheaper than the Rekluse, and with the ability to bump start ( dial a knob first ) and lots of great reviews out there, I was sold. Worth checking out for sure.

AkBob

Premium Member
Apr 3, 2008
I want to thank MB1 for the tip about the Revloc autoclutch. The Dynaring looks like a great place to start...appears to be simple and much less money than a Rekluse... Thanks again. To further update the 05 WR 450 tuning game. I have had a couple of more rides in cold conditions since my earlier post. The additional holes in the left airbox with the frogskin was a great move. Good air flow and no snow in the box. The crankcase breather into the airbox was also good.... I lost the decompression plug a few rides ago, and I suspect it was a clogged breather. I also found that if the bike is going to be cold soaked overnight, it seems to help if you run it with the choke on before you kill it. I tried that last night and it fired right off this morning...about 0F overnight and +10 this am. Overall, a pretty fun tractor.... looking for a softer seat however, my rear gets a little sore after 50-60 miles. Almost forgot, Gaunlets are great!! No hot grips, and NO cold hands even with light gloves.

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.

found this today as I look at exactly this bike today. Are you still riding this bike or have you moved on?

Premium Features