• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Base model/SE coil shocks

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Anybody ride or have a set of the zero pros that come on the base model proclimbs? The evols on my 2016 LTD are really good for air shocks. But they're still air shocks. I kinda miss having springs that always return the same sag point.

AC's parts blowup on the fiche looks like they're pretty straightforward. Easy to reshim etc. Seems like they'd be pretty easy to setup. And they're cheap.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Honestly my problems aren't really with the tune.....a little stiff but the damping isn't my biggest issue. It's the springs.

L
Jun 7, 2013
Iowa
I have a 2016 m8000 se I purchased mainly for these shocks because I'm not a big fan of messing with air pressure. The se shocks are valved and sprung a little stiff compared to the ski doos I was used too but a little adjusting with the springs and they worked great overall. I still think valving could be better but they work for what I need

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
kidwoo have you greased the upper a-arm bushings yet? i cant believe i didnt sooner, it was actually binding and squeeking, not returning to position like it does now. i guess i assumed the dealer would do this :face-icon-small-dis

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I did last year mid winter. Same deal, lots of sqeaks. I did a full tear down, front and rear.

It's not the bushings, or at least not just the bushings. You can see it with any of the evols. You charge the evol chamber, charge the main spring, bounce on it (whether it's a rear shock or front) and then check the pressures. They'll be different. It's because that evol piston comes to rest in a different spot depending on the speed of the rebound, which varies. I keep my skid probably overly lubed because zirks are easy.

Like I said, fox and some other companies did this years ago with mountain bike suspension and it was the same story. These are light years better than the OG floats on the m-series but they're still not the consistency of a coil.

On a side note, one thing I have done that helps is just leave the evol piston maxxed out. As in don't put much air in at all and just use the main chamber. You get a bigger/longer air spring without the 2 stage deal that the evol piston causes.

Anybody know the shock lengths on 2016+ cats? I know the ski shocks are like 16.25 and the rear track shock is something close to that.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
oh you are taliking skidframe, i was thinking fronts.
you know there is to be no weight on them when checking pressure too right?
its air, so it will show a little different reading at different temps/elevation, but i found mine pretty forgiving in that regard. pretty much set and forget unless i get picky, and thats kinda what i liked about them, but im sure coils are better for racing type stuff. i wouldnt want to add the weight of coils myself.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It's all of them, doesn't matter, front or rear.

And yeah I set pressures on a lift....definitely

My ears just perked up when looking at the parts fiche of 1) how cheap they are, and 2) the fact that they're fully rebuildable with a true piston/shimstack setup, hence tuneable

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Just got some ski shocks back from Andy at Gas Shock Repair. Got them revalved before even bothering with them because I already know they weren't valved for my size or soft snow.

Also bought the coil springs which very much say 'black' on the parts fiche and definitely show up 'the opposite of black'.

Kind of expected that but I got some polaris springs to throw on there while the stock ones get powdercoated.

Costs so far for REVALVED brand new fox ski shocks: about $350 with springs and collars.

I wanted some quick compression change settings for the rear so I broke down and got some fox QS3 Coils for the back.

Last edited:
Premium Features