• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo w/ Nitrous..... how does this work?

S
Oct 29, 2008
I have a 2008 PGT Dragon 800. It runs like a bat out of hell. I am extremely happy with its performence. My friend who has a 830cc rev with nitrous keeps telling me that I can pop some nitrous onto my sled to work in conjunction with the turbo. According to him this is how alot of the lake draggers in the mid-west make thier sleds fly. I have no intentions of doing this I am just really curious.

* How does this work? Do they nitrous right off the line to spool the turbo?
* Does this make your sled a "ticking timebomb"?

In a head to head race his rev beats me (660 foot) but I am closing hard at the finish. It is mainly his launch that makes all the difference. He is out by three to four sleds right off the line.

Once again, my sled is a mountain sled and not a drag machine so I have no intentions of doing this but it is a cool thought. Is it possible and what are the "need to knows"

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
there are couple guys on here with TD7's that ran nitrous to speed up spool times on their race gas kits, makes for a little less lag. on the pumpers they spool up quick enough that if your looking to drag race (which your not i see) you can just gear down or change your clutching to make your sled get off the line quicker. i've ran nitrous on two of my past sleds (never in conjuction w/ a turbo just big bores) and dont ever plan on using it again. it is possible but in my opinion would make the sled a ticking time bomb.

S
Oct 29, 2008
ticking time bomb, that is exactly what I was thinking. I am gearing down a bit this season. Yeah not a drag racer here although it is fun to run with the fast sleds in the area and there are plenty.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
From what I have heard, guys are running controllers so that off boost it helps spool the turbo. Once its reached 2~3 psi it deactivates so that you don't melt your motor. This could be used with a button style or WOT switch.

Personally mine spools quick enough and its really not needed.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Depending on what box you have the BD system can be setup to only inject the nitrous when you are off of boost and when you get on boost it will stop all on it's own so you can arm a switch and you can also change when and were the nitrous comes in and out at as well as use it conjunction with a manual switch as well.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The RMSHA hillclimbers were using nitrous on their turbos a few years ago before they (I THINK) put the clamps on that.

Primarily they used it to spool the turbo on the bottom end. I've got pics of Shane Harts 600 RMK back in 05 that was set up that way.

B
Dec 18, 2007
I've ran a 150 H.P. wet shot on a front mount Apex for holeshot and found it to be good for 1-1.5 sled legnths out of the hole. Also had an override button to inject at full boost. Good if you only needed a ski legnth or two to win the race but IMO not worth the time or $ to install. Also extremely hard on the engine when using at 22 psi....

Premium Features