• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crossfire 700 M7 BD Turbo kit - electrical problems

D
Dec 29, 2007
Norway
Just finished my CF7 turbo, and more or less everything is up and running.
Having problems with the electrical systems. Not enough voltage at idle.
In the kit there was a rectifier and capasitor, and I have the following on this circuit:
- BD control boks - OK
- Fuel pump - OK
- Oil pump - OK
- NGK AFX A/F - Not OK, it needs 11 volts to work.

My digatron gets AC from the same place, but before the rectifier at the acc harness by the ignition, and it is working on and off, not very consistent.

I have a Snowbunje 12v 1.4mah small battery which I will use for the NGK AFX, and hoping the sled will recharge this battery when above 12volts.

Any suggestions on modifiying my setup? How is your M7/M8 turbo set up different from mine.

P1000643 (Medium).JPG P1000659 (Medium) (Small).JPG

nothinbutcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hector, MN
does your wiring harness have a chassis ground that you attached to the frame? If it does it does not need to be there on the 700 motors its for the electrical systems on the M8s. I had low voltage on my setup and could not figure out what was the problem and it took boondockers about a month and a half to finally get the idea to reomve the groud and i got everything to work perfect after that.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
here is what ive learned and experianced....
at idle and low rpm, the 700 cats generally dont supply enough volts to power the big fuel pumps.i eventually went back to a stock pump and works fine for my little aero.as for your digitron, when running w/ my race pac, my hand warmers and headlights wouldnt work.shane stanger said to try drawing from the same lighting circuit, but not in the cowl area, instead draw from the wiring harness just before the connctor to the hood. i did this and have had no problems to date.apparently there is some kind of regulator/resistor that cuts down the juice before it gets the the cowl area, but hooking up before the hood harness, bypasses that problem.and lastly i run an aem a/f gauge that requires 12v dc. cutlers sold me a rectfier made by redline gauges that is nice and small 2 wire hook up that converted my a/c to d/c for the gauge. once again i have not had any problems to date.hope some of this helps....

D
Dec 29, 2007
Norway
does your wiring harness have a chassis ground that you attached to the frame? If it does it does not need to be there on the 700 motors its for the electrical systems on the M8s. I had low voltage on my setup and could not figure out what was the problem and it took boondockers about a month and a half to finally get the idea to reomve the groud and i got everything to work perfect after that.

YES! Where else would I ground it? Glad to hear your response!

D
Dec 29, 2007
Norway
here is what ive learned and experianced....
at idle and low rpm, the 700 cats generally dont supply enough volts to power the big fuel pumps.i eventually went back to a stock pump and works fine for my little aero.as for your digitron, when running w/ my race pac, my hand warmers and headlights wouldnt work.shane stanger said to try drawing from the same lighting circuit, but not in the cowl area, instead draw from the wiring harness just before the connctor to the hood. i did this and have had no problems to date.apparently there is some kind of regulator/resistor that cuts down the juice before it gets the the cowl area, but hooking up before the hood harness, bypasses that problem.and lastly i run an aem a/f gauge that requires 12v dc. cutlers sold me a rectfier made by redline gauges that is nice and small 2 wire hook up that converted my a/c to d/c for the gauge. once again i have not had any problems to date.hope some of this helps....

I see! So if I am running about say 3-8psi of boost, I won't need the extra fuel pump provided by boondocker? I'm sorry but by cowl, do you mean coil? What colors are you hooked up to?
I'm gonna look into getting power straight out of the ecu somewhere.
Thanks, sort of good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. About 3 weeks ago I didn't really know how a turbo worked... iNoob :)
Happy Easter!

nothinbutcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Hector, MN
on the 700 motor you just take the ground wire and remove it from the harness it causes a direct short if you connect it to anything that would be a chassis ground. Just unhook it and black tape it so it won't touch anything and start the sled. It should have full power to run lights gauge and digitron no problem.

S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
If you still experience low voltage for your air fuel gauge, you may try running it off the stock fuel pump circuit. We’ve been doing this on our M-7,8 and 1000s. This is a higher voltage circuit and runs our Innovate gauges even at idle. It is a low amp circuit though, so I would not use it to power anything else.

D
Dec 29, 2007
Norway
The only ground wire I have with the turbo-kit harness, is the one for the stock injectors. If I remove this I get the 6 flash led - servo motor failure!

The aux inj harness with capasitor and rectifier does not have a ground.

I have not used the fuel/oil pump harness wich was provided in the m8/m1 kit, since I got the additional m7 aux inj. harness.

What colours should I connect to at the ECU?:confused:

fueloilpumpharness.jpg m7-aux-inj-harness.jpg

D
Dec 29, 2007
Norway
It works!

Thanks all for your help!

I've finally got everything running now.
Fuel/oil pump is running from the BD kit capacitor and rectifier. 8-9v dc at idle
NGK Air fuel is running from stock fuel pump approx 13v DC
Digatron: yellow wire going from ecu to tach, and chassis ground. 13v AC

Running on avgas and been out riding all day, got the boost at 4.3 psi. Its running great on boost, but still have to dial it more when riding at 4-5000 rpms.

Thanks

the fuel pump/oil pump harness goes with the m-8 m-1000 kits with the aux inj. harness. The m-7 kit has this all built into one. so any of you that received the m-7 turbo kit with the aux inj. harness and the fuel pump/oil pump harness....DONT USE THE FUEL PUMP/OIL PUMP HARNESS on, this will cause you to have low voltage (cuts it pretty much in half actually).

Premium Features