• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommended Spark Plugs (SLP Stage 3)

MaxSimoneau

Premium Member
Oct 5, 2017
I have a 2017 Axys with a SLP stage 3 with the bullydog.
Second ride that I did with it , I fouled the 2 spark plugs trying to cold start the sled. It started right up on 1 cylinder and then the second plug fouled also.
Running the oem recommended BPR9ES.
Are there better plugs to use ? or ones that resist more to fouling? I've heard about BR9ES or BR9EYA..
What do you recommend me ?
Also is the plug gap important on these motors ? what gap should I set the plugs at ?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Be prepared to buy plugs by the case, i had this same problem on my 13 pro with stage 3 bikeman kit, the kit ran awsome with a very hot engine but as soon as i putted through the tress or did low throttle position riding id foul a plug.
I contacted bmp and was told, thier kit was made to be a runner not for putting through the trees so i removed the whole kit and rode it stock.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
You shouldn't be fouling plugs. I'm running the stage 3 with no issues. What altitude are you running, If you are 5000 ft and below the map has more fuel added to it. If your tps isn't set right you could be fat on the bottom end. The only way to properly way to set tps is is to adjust your throttle butterflys to zero, adjust zero tps voltage spec and then adjust butterflies to voltage spec. The slp stage 3 rips.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Be prepared to buy plugs by the case, i had this same problem on my 13 pro with stage 3 bikeman kit, the kit ran awsome with a very hot engine but as soon as i putted through the tress or did low throttle position riding id foul a plug.
I contacted bmp and was told, thier kit was made to be a runner not for putting through the trees so i removed the whole kit and rode it stock.

WOW can't believe that bikeman told you that, they must have had a fat map in the bottom and mid for other issues? I've been running every stage 2, 3 and 4 kits available from slp since 2000 and never fouled a plug. The last time I fouled a plug was on my stock 11 pro because the tps was just a little fat and it was in breakin mode yet.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
My stage 3 hasn’t had any issues sea level or 10,000. I did run their suggestion of the iridium plugs, but have since went back to the stock plug. With the iridium I was starting to get a miss and hesitation under load. Got back to lodge to investigate and was soon as I pulled the the plug boots one plugs spark plug cap was off stuck in the boot and the other was loose. Put in a new set of iridium and used a pliers to make sure the caps were tight. Next day same ****. I deep six’d the iridium and went back to stock with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Slp did email me a updated map late February when I was out in tog. Sled idle better and I picked up about 200 rpm. Ran great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxSimoneau

Premium Member
Oct 5, 2017
I ride at 0 - 2000'' .
I got the map from SLP last month so I guess I have the updated map..
I Will put in new BPR9ES plugs and see If it fouls again..
Also, it still has the old gas from last season , so maybe this has an effect too

Premium Features