• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Deflection help!

R
Aug 30, 2008
I put the msd weights and spring in my primary, and now my clutches have to much deflection set. I know it is automatic on the 18, however today, my belt squeeled all day at idle. In fact, it sometimes wouldn't start, it acted like it was in gear. On my axys, I would typically loosen the deflection bolt, but on this cat, I am lost...

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
What MDS weights? The new design for the 18s or the 16/17 version? Did you try the stock weights?

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what was wrong with the stock weights? id check your clutch alignment and try stock weights if you havent yet.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Are the new weights holding the clutch closed a little?
Make sure the weights can move a little.
Tar

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
deflection

Ditto what Tar says. In the past I've had the MDS weights bottom out and would not let clutch open up. Had a very negative belt to sheave clearance
. Might want to check your clearance

D
Sep 17, 2017
Sweden
Hello! Borrowing your thread a little bit. Im having the same issues as you with my m8000 SP. Contacted my dealer and he sent me a washer to put between the secondary clutch. It stopped pulling but still squeels at idle.

After reading this thread i went to the garage and felt on my primary clutch bearing. It felt like a bad ball bearing.. like scratching. Don't know how to explain it in english.

Do you guys think it's okay to add another washer and drive with the strange feeling bearing? Made a couple washers on my own today because my dealer is closed until next week and i want to ride this weekend.

Oh, i almost forgot to say that the primary clutch was replaced like 100 miles ago and everything was okay before that.

D
Aug 18, 2014
Hellingham,wa
I have a stock 18 mt cat and at 70 mi, the belt started squeaking at idle fairly bad. I loosensd the belt and tried to roll the neutral bearing and it would not roll. Took clutch off machine and bearing rolled fine. Put clutch back on machine and no squeak for 20 mi or so then squeaking started again and bearing was hung up again. Dealer got me another primary and problem solved. Couple hundred miles since new clutch and a hundred of those miles were with Mds weights and spring which are absolutely incredible! The new cats are amazing machines! Meow

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Hello! Borrowing your thread a little bit. Im having the same issues as you with my m8000 SP. Contacted my dealer and he sent me a washer to put between the secondary clutch. It stopped pulling but still squeels at idle.

After reading this thread i went to the garage and felt on my primary clutch bearing. It felt like a bad ball bearing.. like scratching. Don't know how to explain it in english.

Do you guys think it's okay to add another washer and drive with the strange feeling bearing? Made a couple washers on my own today because my dealer is closed until next week and i want to ride this weekend.

Oh, i almost forgot to say that the primary clutch was replaced like 100 miles ago and everything was okay before that.

If your sled is an 16-18 the shims between the clutch faces are to adjust offset and should have no effect on belt tension.

Thanks
Woody

Premium Features