• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 600 re-awakening

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
going to be getting back into riding after a 4 season hiatus. I still have a 2007 600 155" im going to clean up and get ready to ride. my list of things to do are:
clean clutches
replace chain case oil
clean carbs
grease chassis
fresh fuel

anything else?
ive never taken the clutches off, anything special for removal, install, cleaning?
same with carbs, anything I need to know before hand? any special tricks or anything?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Sitting for four years? I'd pull the skid and go through the shafts and wheels - depending on how it was parked, shafts can get enough corrosion that will never stop binding unless you scotchbrite them. Bearings on rear idlers are most important. If it's been sitting, do yourself a favor and replace the pilot jets, and look at viton needle float valves closely, or just replace. Check reeds, check compression. Hopefully it was fogged if it was sitting. Bottom end is the most likely failure, e.g., rod bearings, on the mountain, if it was sitting dry. New clutch springs are a must do. Good luck!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Also check the power valve springs. One of them sits directly below the hood vent and will collect water and rust. Then it is weak and will eventually break. Go ahead and clean the valves while you are in there.

Also check the fuel pick up line in the tank. If submerged in ethanol for that long it may not be usable.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Nothing short of rebuild if there's already corrosion in there. Run a mineral oil with anti-corrosion additives. Which is probably what you were running before. If you freshen up the small stuff and fuel delivery, have good compression and it runs well, I wouldn't sweat it and wouldn't consider doing anything else, at least until your run it alot more. After jumping back in, you might find yourself jones'ing for an Axys or Pro, too. FWIW. Good luck!

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
Cool thanks guys. I'm going to try and do everything that was mentioned. Hoping the bottom end survives. By starting on it now I can take my time and get everything done before first ride. This was/is the wife's sled so hoping to get it tip top for her, she really likes the iq chassis so hopefully it runs well for her

Premium Features