• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-doo Summit 700 engine

L
Jan 4, 2015
My son bought this machine 2 years ago and we didn't have much snow in the Northwest last year, so it sat as it did for the previous owner the year before. Not much running for 3 years, and only 1700 miles. First trip out he ran over a ditch and saw antifreeze running out the bottom. He shut it down and said it ran kind of louder that it was. They towed it back to the trailer and it started first pull to load it and brought it home. I saw the antifreeze leak behind the water pump, thinking the gasket I pulled the pump housing only to find BIG junks of metal. It appeared to be cylinder skirt so I pulled the cylinders and the mag side rod was broken about half way up, chunks of case and the bottom skirt of the cylinder took a hit from the rod still on the crankshaft. Looks like the upper rod piston pin bearing came apart. Just a coincidence that it broke when he hit the ditch? No other damage to the machine....So here is my dilemma. Anyone know if you can use a different engine from another chassis that is a 700 or from a year or 2 newer or older if I can find one and install it? Do I need special tools to pull the case apart and what about buying a used case and crank and putting it all together? Not a novice at engine work, just never had one of these this far apart. A&P aircraft mechanic, grew up on a farm and been inside all kinds of engines and such. Or do I scrap the sled? Just trying to help my son out as he is not real happy about his $1300 investment right now and only running it one time.....Thanks in advance for any help. Parts if you have any? I need a case, crank, and 1 cylinder........

Premium Features