• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA 2.0

R
Feb 26, 2008
Anybody else having issues with the 2.0? So far my old one works better.
Sometimes I won’t get any incoming unless I turn it off and back on.
Another buddies just started beeping and wouldn’t do anything until we Turned it off and back on.

R
Feb 26, 2008
My original has been great. If you asked me based on performance, Id say the original was the second version and the 2.0 was the first prototype.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Mine works great. Had an issue with plastics during manufacturing and BCA replaced it no questions asked. 1st version, not 2.0.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got 2 new V2 radios last night.
Will have them out on the SnoWest Forum ride this weekend to see how they work.

I was at BCA in boulder last month. I bought a new avy vest and the zipper kept coming undone. It was obvious it was not aligned correctly, but they tired to say I wasn't zipping it right, that I had to FORCE it down. I have been using zippers for many many yrs and i have never had to force a zipper to work, even on a cheap Costco jacket. And to suggest it on a $900 product? I was very disappointed on BCA as a whole. Guy assisting me left 5 min into the meeting. No more BCA for me.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Imho, The bca link is a seriously overpriced toy. If you could buy it direct from china, it would cost about $9 + shipping.

I also have serious issues with Mike Duffy being such a proponent of the link and his stupid 9-11 emergency channel idea. I had some respect for Mike and his avi knowledge/instruction until, he started bad mouthing the baofeng and promoting the link. Now I have to question everything he says...

Sorry, back on subject....
The link meets FCC criteria for the FRS channels. Never intended to reliably communicate more than 3/4ths of a mile. These things are really only good for just a little further than you can shout. You know, one side of the Wal-Mart to the other.

The baofeng bf-888 (2 watt uhf 16 channel) can be had for $10. I consider it junk but, still 3 times the radio that the link is.

Get a real, cheap Chinese radio so that, you can enjoy reliable comms in the backcountry.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

R
Feb 26, 2008
I understand the limitations of the BCA vs a real radio. But until someone comes up with a mic to rival the BCA, the BCA will still be king of the mountain.

I understand the limitations of the BCA vs a real radio. But until someone comes up with a mic to rival the BCA, the BCA will still be king of the mountain.

The Mic is the worst part of the BCA. I have seen them become unplugged, channel changed by accident, and water in speaker. My $6 boafang mic is going on 4 yrs. Most of my group is dumping the BCA's and switching to BF.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
What is so wonderful about the bca Mic? The cool way you can change channels? The volume control?
I will pick reliable coms over consumer grade bells and whistles any day...

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Rode with friends last weekend with BCA 2.0 radios. Comms stopped about an hour into the ride and the 2 with BCA got separated from the us who had Baofeng. Very frustrating trying to locate them. What do you suppose happened when comms stopped??? Yep, those darn BCA got the channel changed somehow. I am NOT a big fan of BCA. This can be dangerous to have no communication with the rest of the group should something go wrong!

R
Feb 26, 2008
People complaining about the channel changing is retarded. It takes less than a second to verify your channel. I appreciate the BCA mic for its size, look, ability to integrate with most any pack. The quick change is handy for splitting groups or just getting everyone to change channels if theres interference. We always do A and B the same, C and D the same so as if it gets moved (mine doesnt actually get moved while riding) its still probably on the same channel. And yeah the external volume control is nice. Especially when you ride with 800 AXYS that have interference issues intermittently.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Imho, The bca link is a seriously overpriced toy. If you could buy it direct from china, it would cost about $9 + shipping.

I also have serious issues with Mike Duffy being such a proponent of the link and his stupid 9-11 emergency channel idea. I had some respect for Mike and his avi knowledge/instruction until, he started bad mouthing the baofeng and promoting the link. Now I have to question everything he says...

Sorry, back on subject....
The link meets FCC criteria for the FRS channels. Never intended to reliably communicate more than 3/4ths of a mile. These things are really only good for just a little further than you can shout. You know, one side of the Wal-Mart to the other.

The baofeng bf-888 (2 watt uhf 16 channel) can be had for $10. I consider it junk but, still 3 times the radio that the link is.

Get a real, cheap Chinese radio so that, you can enjoy reliable comms in the backcountry.

Right
And lets not forget about the Itsy Bitsy Tiny Weenie issue of being a FREAKING FEDERAL CRIMINAL every single time you key up your cheap little Chinese Baofeng HAM Band RADIOs unless it is in a TRUE EMERGENCY where LIFE or LIMB is at risk.

Ya, lets encourage EVERYONE TO COMMIT A CRIME by using those without a license. Thats a great idea.

Now I am all in favor of using those HAM Radios, as they are a far better Transmitter and Receiver than the BCA units. But they require a FEDERAL LICENSE to use, and for the most part I don't know a single Sledder who has bothered to go get certified to use them.

W7AVW
EXTRA CLASS HAM RADIO OPERATOR

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Right
And lets not forget about the Itsy Bitsy Tiny Weenie issue of being a FREAKING FEDERAL CRIMINAL[/B] every single time you key up your cheap little Chinese Baofeng HAM Band RADIOs unless it is in a TRUE EMERGENCY where LIFE or LIMB is at risk.
Ya, lets encourage EVERYONE TO COMMIT A CRIME by using those without a license. Thats a great idea.
Now I am all in favor of using those HAM Radios, as they are a far better Transmitter and Receiver than the BCA units. But they require a FEDERAL LICENSE to use, and for the most part I don't know a single Sledder who has bothered to go get certified to use them.

Good comments here! Is it indeed illegal when one programs their baofeng radio to only transmit on FRS, GMRS, and MURS channels?

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure if boafang used only with frs/gmrs is illegal, but I assume it is for the fact of transmit power and having removable antenna.

Either way, I could care less. If the govt has time to chase me for using a radio for legitimate reasons, that must mean they have arrested all the drug dealers and child rapist. They need to chase the real battles.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am not 100% sure if boafang used only with frs/gmrs is illegal, but I assume it is for the fact of transmit power and having removable antenna.

Either way, I could care less. If the govt has time to chase me for using a radio for legitimate reasons, that must mean they have arrested all the drug dealers and child rapist. They need to chase the real battles.

NO
That is 100% LEGAL.
You can buy and own and carry HAM radios with NO infraction of the law so long as you do not transmit on a HAM BAND "UNLESS" its a true emergency.

In the event of an emergency you are clear and legal to transmit on ANY FREQ to save life or limb!

Premium Features