• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox float leaked oil, How do I fix?

L
Jan 19, 2009
I have an 08" M8 with fox floats. When I got it out of storage this winter, the left float had leaked oil and puddled up in the ski. Do i need to send it off to be fixed? who fixes them? It still had the same psi as the right one, it think it was around 45psi. But now that i took it for a test run i can see it leans to the left when parked. Any help would be appriciated.
thanks
Lee

K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
You are supposed to service the air chamber at least once a year, directions came with the sled.
float_manual.pdf

Y
our FOX FLOAT AirShox are designed using the highest quality materials and most advanced coatings to ensure a long operational life. For maximum performance, FOX recommends the following maintenance schedule:
• Monitor the air pressure in your shock once every other month
• Perform air sleeve maintenance once a year.* (see instructions in Air Sleeve Maintenance section)
• Perform shock absorber oil service (complete shock rebuild) every 3,000 to 5,000 miles**
Of course, maintenance intervals depend heavily on the type of riding and the riding conditions. . The above recommendations are for the average rider. If at any point you feel a degradation of damping or air spring performance, stop riding immediately and identify the cause of the problem

1. Remove the shock from the vehicle.
2. Remove stainless steel reducers and clean with parts cleaner (application specfic).
3. If your shock has bushings & sleeves instead of spherical bearings, they may be too wide on the body end to slide the air sleeve over. I f this is the case, remove body end bushings & sleeve with a screwdriver and/or pliers.
4. Clean the outside of the shock with soap and water. Cleanliness is critical!
5. Release all air pressure from air chamber filler valve.
6. Clamp air sleeve cap eyelet in a vise with soft jaws.
7. Loosen air sleeve, turning it counter-clockwise by hand and slide it down the body.
8. Remove the air piston slyde rings from the air piston.
9. Clean inside the air sleeve with parts cleaner.
10. Inspect the wiper and back-up wiper inside the air sleeve.
11. Replace if damaged or worn.
12. Clean body, air piston seal, air piston slyde rings and shaft with a clean, lint-free towel.
13. Inspect air piston seal for wear or damage.
14. Replace if damaged or worn.
15. Lightly lube the air sleeve cap o-ring and threads with FLOAT Fluid or multi-purpose lithium-based grease (NLGI #2).
16. Liberally lube the air piston seal and slyde rings with a commercially available fork seal grease.
17. Grease the wiper and back-up wiper.
18. Slide the air sleeve over the body until the leading edge of the air sleeve is at the air piston.
19. Install the first air piston slyde ring.
20. Carefully slide the air sleeve over the installed slyde ring and the air piston seal.
21. Install the second air piston slyde ring, as shown below.
22. Carefully slide the air sleeve over the second installed slyde ring and halfway to the air sleeve cap.
23. Refer to your setup sheet to see if any FLOAT Fluid is required for your specific application. . (Add FLOAT Fluid, if applicable, as shown below.)
24. Slide the air sleeve down to the air sleeve cap.
25. Thread air sleeve into air sleeve cap and hand tighten until the air sleeve bottoms in the air sleeve cap. Do not over tighten air sleeve or use tools other than your hands.
26. Inflate shock as described in usi si ng th th e fox fox fox high high high high pr pr esure pump mp on page 3.
27. Dry bushings and reducers.
28. Install reducers in spherical bearings (application specific), or install bushings & sleeve.

Last edited:
K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
What ever you do dont take the shock apart to see what the oil level is unless you have the proper nitrogen tools and you release the nitrogen first or you may need to visit the hospitol. You cant just added oil and then put it back together there are steps that need to be taken to remove the air from the oil and then you need a special tool to add the nitrogen and even before that you need to set you floating piston depth to do it right. I have also heard someone saying that you need to replace the oil every 300 miles on the float shocks I think they have some learning to do.. anyway just giving some info as I have done some shocks and installed some of Toms update kits.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I believe he is talking about floats, which have no nitrogen in them. The front track shock is nitrogen, and had my dealer add pressure from the stock setting. My float wasn't working for crap, and I just took the top off, and added a few ounces of oil, and its brand new now. tim

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
I just put a rear float upgrade in last week and i can garantee they have nitrogen in them so be carful if you are trying to disassemble them yourself, you can get a rebuild info sheet from cat that will show you all the internals. The float (air chamber) only takes the place of the spring the rest of the shock is still like the old ones with a floating piston, to seperate the nitrogen from the oil. Look at the bottom of a float shock they have a little white plastic plug in them that is the cover were you nitrogen fitting is. Take a look at this http://service.foxracingshox.com/powersports/Content/Resources/pdf/FLOAT/605-00-036 Rev C.pdf

Great info if you are trying to work on them yourself

Last edited:
K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
Those directions are from the fox website (I even linked the manual)
There is absolutly no special tools needed to service the air chamber, and it must be done every year.
The shock itself only needs to be rebuilt every 3,000 to 5,000 miles per fox, this is where the high pressure nitrogen is, you must have special tools to do this (you cant even take it apart without special tools)
Having rebuilt 500 or 1000 shocks over the years I can't imagine anything worse than an oil bath even if you do somehow manage to take one of these apart without knowing what your are doing.

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
The point I was trying to make is that the oil is not in the air chamber and yes the directions are from fox.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
huh

Are you sure there is nitrogen in a float? I'm pretty sure they isn't. I just unscrew the top of mine and add fluid in right there. There was barely any from the factory.

M

mhanson

Dec 12, 2009
how much oil do you put in each front float shock?? i have a 2010 m8 with floats that leans to the left, same psi or even few more in left shock and if you pick the back end up the left side sags down about 4 inches. hoping oil will fix this!!????

L
Jan 19, 2009
Thanks for all the info,,Im going to read the fox instuctions. I think my problem my lie within the internal oil filled shock portion, not the air side. I think this cause I had atlease a measuring cups worth of oil puddled on my ski. Unless the previous owner had put that much in the air side of it. Any other info is appreciated!

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Those directions are from the fox website (I even linked the manual)
There is absolutly no special tools needed to service the air chamber, and it must be done every year.
The shock itself only needs to be rebuilt every 3,000 to 5,000 miles per fox, this is where the high pressure nitrogen is, you must have special tools to do this (you cant even take it apart without special tools)
Having rebuilt 500 or 1000 shocks over the years I can't imagine anything worse than an oil bath even if you do somehow manage to take one of these apart without knowing what your are doing.

Krom, how did you link the manual???

Premium Features