• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SBA 800...Need Better Off Trail

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
So I was able to get out and get some riding in this past weekend and for the most part I love the sled. That said I was not overly happy with the off trail riding. I need better flotation and more track performance.

My 1st issue was in powder as soon as I would come off the throttle the skis would bite in and that was it the sled would stop. No coast at all. And of course as soon as the nose would dive in leading to my second issue the 1.35 Cobra would just trench to China. Even when I wasn't stuck I really thought the Cobra would give me a bit more traction than I got.

So I am looking for skis and a track. I still do a lot of trail riding but I definitely want better performance off trail than I am getting. Here is the setup I am considering:

Gripper Skis w/ 6" Shapers
Camso Backcountry 9206R Sno X
https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/backcountry

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
So I was able to get out and get some riding in this past weekend and for the most part I love the sled. That said I was not overly happy with the off trail riding. I need better flotation and more track performance.

My 1st issue was in powder as soon as I would come off the throttle the skis would bite in and that was it the sled would stop. No coast at all. And of course as soon as the nose would dive in leading to my second issue the 1.35 Cobra would just trench to China. Even when I wasn't stuck I really thought the Cobra would give me a bit more traction than I got.

So I am looking for skis and a track. I still do a lot of trail riding but I definitely want better performance off trail than I am getting. Here is the setup I am considering:

https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/backcountry

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I had a SBA 800 (2014). I put grippers with shapers, just like you are doing but it did come with the 2" track and lower gearing that the 2" track came with. i believe they did the same gearing as the RMK on those. I would take that thing ANYWHERE and it be pretty good. I had to work harder than my RMK now, but that is to be expected. I would strongly suggest the 2" track. Ran one scratchers down on icy stuff and never had issues. This is midwest snow that can be thin and icy.

As far as trenching, that probably was a symptom of the track and some shock adjustment.

Your sled will never be an RMK, but that is also the reason you have it. It will go most everywhere you buddies go on pure MTN sleds, just might have to use more gas and "want to".

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
As mentioned, go with a 2” track...it’s the largest you can go without a driver swap. I’d go with a challenger....the Series IV Poo track is good in soft snow but is a bit soft if you do a lot of hardpack trails. The stock Pro Steer Skis are pure garbage. Grippers, Powder Pros or Mohawks. Swap gears if you change tracks....good idea even if you don’t.

At the end of the day, it will be better but it will still not go where an RMK 155+ will in the deep. Period. Been there, done that. Loved my 2014 SBA but too many frustrating days running with longer sleds was enough for me.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Moving your front controll arm into the upper hole also helps when riding in deep snow. I also had a 14 sba. Loved it and went a lot of places i shouldnt have with it. Also got stuck in a lot of places to. Haha.
If you are serious about keeping it I would look into some narrower shorter boards

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
My setup was a 2014 sba 800 with the 2 inch track and lower gearing

Gripper skis
Swaybar removed
Front control arm in upper hole (makes better approach angle)

Thats about all the free stuff you can do. Maybe well have a pro 146 option for 2020.

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
My setup was a 2014 sba 800 with the 2 inch track and lower gearing

Gripper skis
Swaybar removed
Front control arm in upper hole (makes better approach angle)

Thats about all the free stuff you can do. Maybe well have a pro 146 option for 2020.

I've wanted a 146 made for midwest Pro RMK for so long that I just went with the 155. I'm happy with it, but think a 146 would be perfect for me. I know everyone would say go SKS, well no I want the belt drive and every other aspect of the Pro, just think 155 is overkill for the boondocking in the UP and northern MN we do.

FlatLand_J

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2013
Same situation in NY. I had an SKS 146 last year. The running boards load up right where you want your foot. The rear suspension is poorly matched with the front. Too stiff in the rear and too soft up front. Went to an 850 SKS 155 this year with Raptor Kinetics all the way around. 2.25 Peak track. Really liking it so far even though our season just started this week. 155 is definitely overkill but short lug is trail friendly (ish). Still waiting for a 146 RMK/SKS that has vert steering post, true RMK running boards, rails and weight. Anyways, 155 gets up on the snow much better at the cost of the light front end feel of the 146.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
You will be happier with the Grippers as they are wider and the front won't dive as much as it does with trail skis.

Another option (my preference on my 15 SBA) is SLP Mohawks. Great in both powder (floatation) and trails (tracking).

R
Mar 25, 2019

https://camso.co/en/snowmobile/products/backcountry/writemyessaytoday

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Hi there,

I ran 9" on my Pro Steers and now I run 6" on my Slydogs. However, that's too much. Btw, I found a guy on Hardcoresledder forums who is sharing his experience with SBA 800 (@talkiesled).

Last edited:

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Grippers. 2" track with gearing, could honestly go about 1 tooth lower... quick disconnect the sway bar, I left my disconnected most of the time, still did well on trail. Also lowered the limiter strap to bottom hole.

It did well, but is nothing like my PRO I upgraded to this year. I did like the width and nible of the short track, but had to get speed into anything you did. Not sure how well it would of done in the fluffy powder.

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
You will be happier with the Grippers as they are wider and the front won't dive as much as it does with trail skis.

Another option (my preference on my 15 SBA) is SLP Mohawks. Great in both powder (floatation) and trails (tracking).

i agree 110% on the slp Mohawks ! i thought the grippers were good, then installed them on my rmk and switchback. amazing to say the least... go with a 1.75 backcountry track...

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
The problem was almost entirely solved by putting on the Mohawks. Absolutely amazing skis! I also ended up swapping the track out for a 2" Challenger. The SBA was a whole different sled. My only issue after that was it isn't the easiest to get on edge. So I snow checked an SKS 155 with a 2.6.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I had modded 15 SBA 144x2".
I added gripper skis, and Bmfab boards and front bumper.

It was a good mountain sled for meadows and some hill climbs. But when in more technical slow speed terrain. It just seemed the 144 did not have enough flotation for me. I tried all sorts of different suspension setup. Top hole, bottom whole on skid. I preferred the stock hole for more wheelie ability.

If you're not planning on steep and deep terrain, do the 2" track with gearing, and put on gripper skis. I think you'll be surprised how well that 2" track does in powder. I know I was. Good luck

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The problem was almost entirely solved by putting on the Mohawks. Absolutely amazing skis! I also ended up swapping the track out for a 2" Challenger. The SBA was a whole different sled. My only issue after that was it isn't the easiest to get on edge. So I snow checked an SKS 155 with a 2.6.

The SBA has a suspension set up for trails. I.e. wide stance, and a stiff sway bar compared to a RMK. Also a chain case and heavier duty rails. The SKS will be the same. Just like an Assault RMK.

On my '15 SBA, I changed out the front end to a Pro RMK (39"). Arms, shocks, sway bar, etc. Since I ran Fox Floats, that also allowed me to up the shock pressures and remove the sway bar. Now I had a 800 RMK with a 144. Slightly heavier duty rear skid (torsion springs vs coil over) and tunnel but the concept worked great ! In the end, I put it back to stock as it gets used on MN trails once per year, the rest of the time, I'm out in WY where a 155 or 163 is a better fit.

Premium Features