• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary stuck open

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
2003 mountain cat 600 electric start efi after everything gets warmed up pulling a sled with dogs in it. my secondary gets stuck open replaced the rollers brass bushing and a new spring and it still does it.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Is the primary holding the belt tight and holding the secondary open? Or do you remove the belt and it is still stuck open? If it just holds open by itself, it is the bushing.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The secondary goes in when you pull the belt up.

This might be a primary issue...because if the secondary goes in when you pull the belt up, it is able to create tension. I wonder if the primary is sticking open but snaps shut when you basically come to a stop.

If it were me, I'd pull the belt off, pull the springs out of both the primary and secondary and actuate them in and out to check for any binding or freeplay. Something between the 2 is binding up and likely very worn.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
If it was frozen up with significant misalignment, maybe.

But points more to me that there is a lot of corrosion and your main bushings in the secondary are likely in need of cleaning or replacement.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
This would be the old reverse cam driven. When you put the spring in did you turn it roughly 120 degrees before it went over the towers to tighten down. (clockwise)

Premium Features