• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1/2 Ton Flatbed

CD156

Premium Member
Mar 22, 2016
Anyone ran a aluminum flat bed on a newer half ton? What kind of gas mileage are you getting hauling two sleds highway cruising? Looking to go back to a half ton as have no need for my 2500 other than sled trips and it’s a gas so gets not great mileage as is. With a sled deck last trip averaged 9-13mpg per tank depending on speeds and wind.

With 4-5 trips a winter from WI to Co/WY gas mileage does have some importance.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Why not flatbed on the 2500?

Might gain a little with a 1/2 ton, but guessing the flatbed getting the sleds out of the wind will do more?

CD156

Premium Member
Mar 22, 2016
It’s been a thought to flat bed my current truck. Been tossing around the idea of doing that too. Wasn’t sure if I would gain much as far as mpg’s go. The 2500 is more truck than I need for about 90 percent of my driving around home but then again it’s nice to have for when I do pull my trailer. 22 ft aluminum enclosed, half tons pull it fine but little extra confidence with the larger truck. Generally don’t take the trailer west as parking is a issue for the family friends where I stay at in Steamboat.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
With my 2500 Gasser I get the exact same millage with the sled deck or pulling a 7'x25' enclosed. On a 3400 mile round trip to BC from MN it was a .3 difference in fuel millage in both trips (one with the deck and one with the enclosed. I would be interested to know how much better the flatbed would be.

For reference the truck with no deck sees about 14/15 on the interstate, 8-9 with the deck.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
With my 2500 Gasser I get the exact same millage with the sled deck or pulling a 7'x25' enclosed. On a 3400 mile round trip to BC from MN it was a .3 difference in fuel millage in both trips (one with the deck and one with the enclosed. I would be interested to know how much better the flatbed would be.

For reference the truck with no deck sees about 14/15 on the interstate, 8-9 with the deck.

This

Premium Features