• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF? A Time Limit On the Edit Function?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I recently found out that there is a time limit on the Edit function (EDIT Button disappears after an administrator settable time period).

I find the expiration of the EDIT feature a completely worthless feature. As it eliminates error correction of inaccurate data, as well as the inability to repair bad links for photos, video, and the like. Not to mention spelling and grammar errors that may have gotten overlooked originally.

It is my belief that Christopher has the power to change this, and is likely the one who set (whatever time frame) is currently set as the expiration of the EDIT Feature.

IMO there should be no expiration of the Edit feature. As you can only EDIT your own Posts and Threads, thus having an expiration is useless.

I have no power to leverage this change alone, but we can if enough of us call it what it is; ( I.E. BS) and make him understand the error of this mentality.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I agree the time limit on edits is a huge hassle. Such as for items where they are for sale for a while (example: sled in spring), want to revise ad (more miles, or change what options are on the sled)... I can see maybe after a YEAR not allowing changes or deletions.

The only place where I find people's edits annoying is in swapmeet when they sell something, delete the entire text of their post and just say "SOLD". Since I am searching for that particular item (say a track, or a set of skis) it is good to know about what price something sells for! Adding "SOLD" to the end of the post or (lacking that) to the last post in the thread is good enough...

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I recently found out that there is a time limit on the Edit function (EDIT Button disappears after an administrator settable time period).

I find the expiration of the EDIT feature a completely worthless feature. As it eliminates error correction of inaccurate data, as well as the inability to repair bad links for photos, video, and the like. Not to mention spelling and grammar errors that may have gotten overlooked originally.

It is my belief that Christopher has the power to change this, and is likely the one who set (whatever time frame) is currently set as the expiration of the EDIT Feature.

IMO there should be no expiration of the Edit feature. As you can only EDIT your own Posts and Threads, thus having an expiration is useless.

I have no power to leverage this change alone, but we can if enough of us call it what it is; ( I.E. BS) and make him understand the error of this mentality.

I could be wrong but I believe this was enabled back in the day as there was a couple members who wanted to go back and delete all of their old posts thus making the threads useless. It was to protect the old information, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure Christopher will chime in on that but for now if you have an older post you needed edited shoot myself or any other mod a message with what you want changed and will take care of it for you. Some members just report the post with the changes they want made also.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
It also keeps people from changing posts and making following posts look ridiculous.

example.

Make an outrageous post and get a follow on post.
OP retorts with inflammatory remark and starts argument.
go back and change your post then report the follow on post.

He looks like a jerk when OP was the instigator.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
... and is likely the one who set (whatever time frame) is currently set as the expiration of the EDIT Feature.

Loudhandle,

The time limit on edits was in place before Christopher took over management of the forums.

Suggesting that Christopher somehow implemented the edit time function, however, is Not correct.

You make some good points with your desire to be able to repair bad links, correct spelling etc...

Suggesting changes or airing concerns about the forum here, in a rational way, IS a great way to be heard and as a forum-community, work to make things better for all.

It would be best, IMO, to ask:
"Why is this time limit on edits in place?.... and, if benefits outweigh concerns , is there a way to change the policy?"

It also keeps people from changing posts and making following posts look ridiculous.

I agree with this... within the prescribed current time limit of, I believe, 60 days (correct me if I'm wrong)... any member can still change their post, making this a moot point.

Last edited:

acgreen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Want to update ad but can't.

After time has expired to update my ad, I would like to make changes in my ad, but can't. This needs to be changed so I can make changes in my ad and maybe help in selling my item.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
So "Why is this time limit on the EDIT Feature in place?

Loudhandle,

The time limit on edits was in place before Christopher took over management of the forums.

Suggesting that Christopher somehow implemented the edit time function, however, is Not correct.

You make some good points with your desire to be able to repair bad links, correct spelling etc...

Suggesting changes or airing concerns about the forum here, in a rational way, IS a great way to be heard and as a forum-community, work to make things better for all.

"Why is this time limit on edits in place?.... and, if benefits outweigh concerns , is there a way to change the policy?"

My apologies to Christopher; He has been the administrator for as long as I can remember, so I assumed (probably wrongly) that he was the one who set the time frame on the EDIT Feature.

And yes I likely could have posed the question with less of a bite, but being a passionate sort and feeling strongly as I do about the subject. Tact evaded me at the the time of penning the original post.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Loudhandle,

If that's true the limit was significantly longer pre Christopher. I remember it becoming apparent when the site went pay and some long standing members decided to delete their older posts in protest.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Loudhandle,

I agree with this... within the prescribed current time limit of, I believe, 60 days (correct me if I'm wrong)... any member can still change their post, making this a moot point.

I call BS on this .......... I even PM'd Christopher and he tried to tell me it was always in place , BUT , I have always been able to this (edit) up until a couple of months ago. Maybe it wasn't his call - but he is definitely aware of it. It is extremely irritating now as all I really only do on here is swap meet stuff and now I have do contact a moderator every time I want something changed in an ad. PITA

At least open it up to the swap meet area - 30 days only to edit is REDICULOUS !! Makes me start to question my Premium Lifetime membership.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Loudhandle,

If that's true the limit was significantly longer pre Christopher. I remember it becoming apparent when the site went pay and some long standing members decided to delete their older posts in protest.

Eric, no disrespect intended but this is not correct.

ICR is correct.

This was a feature that was implemented shortly after the site went pay and people were upset and began deleting their posts.

I believe we as site paying members should be granted this feature. Keep the non-payers on the current plan.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Being able to edit posts makes sense. What is the rationale for a limit?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I will no longer be contributing to SnoWest

Due to the Communist like control of the Edit function; I will no longer be contributing to Snowest.

This is solely a result of the Administrator's blind eye and complete lack of explanation towards the subject.

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
Being able to edit posts makes sense. What is the rationale for a limit?

To prevent members from deleting their provided content. The owner of this website understands it's the users who provide the value of any forum and doesn't want to allow them control over that value.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Time limit

A time limit on editing post is ridiculous.
If I run into this issue I'll be deleting my account also!!!

Premium Features