• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are 99 SummitX 670 cylinders the same as a 97 Summit 670

W
Oct 14, 2011
I've got what mat just be a stupid question???

I am on the hunt for a good used cylinder for a 99 Summit X 670. Are the cylinders the same as the Summit 670's? They are the same bore size stock, which is 78mm. I've looked up the parts on Ski-DoopartsWarehouse.com, the measurements for the piston and ring assemble sets are the same (all thought they do have different part numbers)

Any input on this topic would be great, that would either put this dought in my mind to rest or prove it right?????

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
The heads have a different dome and squish, requiring a flat-top piston for the X/H.O. engines. You can mix and match as long as the pistons match the head used. The cylinders are actually the same, the only difference being that the X/HO cylinders have a window cut into the rear cylinder sleeve allowing a straighter shot into the rear intake transfer..... From what I have measured, the actual ports retain the same dimensions. The cases are also factory tunnel-ported in the X/HO motors as well....

You could take a standard cylinder, and notch it to match the X/HO cylinder. Quick easy job for a machine shop, as it is really just a round notch cut into it. You could do it yourself, if you are careful, with a die-grinder.

If you insist on an X/HO cylinder, I think I have one laying around....

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
The heads have a different dome and squish, requiring a flat-top piston for the X/H.O. engines. You can mix and match as long as the pistons match the head used. The cylinders are actually the same, the only difference being that the X/HO cylinders have a window cut into the rear cylinder sleeve allowing a straighter shot into the rear intake transfer..... From what I have measured, the actual ports retain the same dimensions. The cases are also factory tunnel-ported in the X/HO motors as well....

You could take a standard cylinder, and notch it to match the X/HO cylinder. Quick easy job for a machine shop, as it is really just a round notch cut into it. You could do it yourself, if you are careful, with a die-grinder.

If you insist on an X/HO cylinder, I think I have one laying around....

Premium Features