• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheating

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I have a 96 summit 670. Went for a ride on groomed trail with 1-2 inch of new. when running around 20 mph overheat light comes on. I went to check the thermostat for proper operation after I got home and there isn't one installed. I took the water pump out, doesnt look bad but will replace if I can find one. Any ideas why this would overheat without a thermostat? The heat exchangers would get warm but not hot. Probably due to no thermostat I guess. This is a new sled to me so not real familiar with standard problems.
Where can I find a thermostat for this thing? Not finding any online at the dealers. thanks

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
My doo dealer has some for like $10-$20 or something like that, i'd say your thermostat isnt oppening but we know thats not happening. ;) I'd look into the waterpump, make sure the coolant is actually flowing, how olds the coolant? Dosnt hurt to change it, i'd probly go 30/70 water/antifreeze. Someone will jump on here and help ya.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Off the top of my head....

Put the t-stat back in. Some cooling systems work better when there is a restriction slowing the flow of coolant, allowing more time for the coolant to give up heat to the exchangers. Plus, the t-stat will better regulate temps helping warm up time, and make the engine run more consistant. I have always ran a t-stat in all of my 670's.

New to you sled? Has anybody messed with the jetting? Has the HAC been removed and the sled re-jetted incorrectly? Running lean could bring up the temps.

Make sure that there is no air trapped in your cooling system. When you refill with coolant, try to raise the front of the sled as high as practical, to purge any air trapped in the coolers. Afterwards, always bring sled up to temp, and verify coolant flow through the hoses by feeling for heat in them with your hands. If you do not feel any heat, re-check coolant level. You also have a plug on top of the t-stat housing that is there to release trapped air if you remove it. After the sled is warmed up, let it cool completely, and then top coolant bottle back off if the coolant level has dropped any.

The water pump on a Rotax is unbelievably simple. It either works, or it doesn't. Basically all you have is an impeller on a shaft spinning inside a housing. The only way it can go bad, is if-
A. a seal goes bad
B. catastrophic failure of the RV shaft assembly
C. Debri enters cooling system, damaging pump impeller.

Last thing, and probably the simplist- Idjit light sending unit could be bad.

That's it.... I'm out of ideas

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
Do you know what temp the sensor should kick on? The shop didn't have the info and thought that might be a problem. I put the stat back in with the front elevated. Going to take it out tomorrow if the rain hold off long enough. Will let you know what the outcome is with all parts in place.

Thanks

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Do you know what temp the sensor should kick on? The shop didn't have the info and thought that might be a problem. I put the stat back in with the front elevated. Going to take it out tomorrow if the rain hold off long enough. Will let you know what the outcome is with all parts in place.

Thanks

Thermostat should open at 108-111, overheat light comes on at 180 (weigh to hot).

Premium Features