• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 02 RMK 700 looses power @ 7000 RPM...?

D
I would appreciate any input...

I have an 02 RMK 700, it has an SLP pipe and can, V Force Reeds, team clutches... i think those are the only applicable mods. I was riding my sled this weekend and noticed as soon as the sled was at operating temp it would loose all power around 7000 rpm. It just breaks up and sounds horrible and looses power. I was thinking it might be dirty power valves or a broken reed. I also switched oil to the blue polaris oil..i used to run amsoil, and i added artic cat chain case oil... It would be great to get some input..

D
im on it.. couple questions... what exactly do the bellows look like, and where should i be looking for tears..is it obvious?. are new gaskets necessary? Can this problem damage the motor?

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Pull the black caps off the power valves and the belows are the rubbery donuts in there. If there is a tear then the top side will be dirty with oil/grudge. If you are careful you don't have to pull the valve assemblies off the motor and therefor won't damage the gaskets.

BUT, if the sled has more than 1 season on it and the valves haven't been cleaned its well worth taking the time to do that.

sled_guy

D
So i got to the power valves tonight. One had a torn bellow and both had tons of carbon build up. I cleaned it up with carb cleaner a brillo pad and a wire brush. What i noticed was that one side of the valve looked smooth and the other looked pitted. Is this normal? And do you think it is a big deal to use a wire brush? Any suggestions on what to coat it w/ before reinstalling? Also are there any spring recommendations; i have orange.

Thanks for the input...

S
Dec 23, 2007
ya sounds familiar a friend had bought a 800 rmk and went to service the valves and one was so carboned up it would not pull out...out come the vise grips and pry bars.....finaly but had to buy a new valve.

A
Dec 12, 2008
a couple of my buddies ride polaris' with the liberty motors in them, they clean there power valves every 400 miles and say everytime they need it everything sounds normal with it, one of the causes for the cracks is the carbon build up the vacume tries to open the valve but it cant and the weakest part of the bellow cracks, i ran amsoil in my 97 583mxz and had to clean the power valves all the time, i switched back to skidoo oil and i dont have toclean them anymore

E
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane WA
When i had my 02 700, i had to clean my power valves all the time, about 2 to 400 miles. I switched to ams oil and went about 2000 miles and not one bit of build up. One of the best moves i made.

T

theUltamateTBM

Feb 20, 2008
polaris ves motors should be run with a synthetic oil such as ves gold which has a detergent in it to help prevent carbon build up. wire brush is not a good idea o the older sleds pre 2004 or 2005 after that it is ok because they switched to a stainless valve when cleaning your power valves first put a little ves gold oil on them and see what I mean

S

Snowjunky

Jan 19, 2008
Loveland,Colorado
Klotz here on 4 polaris motors. Valves look good every year when I clean them. Could probably go 2 years but what would I do in the summer then.

Premium Features