• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wiring up a cigarette lighter

M
Sep 13, 2010
I just recently purchased a 1992 Arctic Wildcat 700 without a battery. I am going to use the sled strictly for ice fishing. What I'm wondering from you guys is can I wire up a cigarette lighter so I can run my gps off of it? My sled doesn't have a battery, but I was wondering if there was a way that I could somehow splice it in to some other wires to make something work. I also wouldn't have a problem using a small battery that I could mount inside my hood just so I could run the cigarette lighter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
That sled has a 12 v AC system which won't work for your GPS. It needs a 12 V DC system. It is possible to install a DC converter out of a later model sled, but it would be a pain and pretty expensive to do.

I would suggest buying a battery pack for camera equipment that already has the lighter plug installed. You can then stow it somewhere handy and plug your GPS into it while traveling. It should get you out and back, but you will need to charge it up at home.

Good luck.

B

bmunsell

Jan 15, 2010
12 volt DC

Snobunge sells a battery and diode system designed for your needs. I have one on my RMK and run a hardwired GPS off of it. You can add just a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in, but the problem is that it will only have good power at higher RPM's

Premium Features