• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What video camera

B
Jan 5, 2008
NW CO
I am just curious what types of video cameras people are using to record their rides. I am looking for something a litle more high quality / high speed than the average home video camera.

Thx

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Handheld or helmet cam?

If you get a good handheld (I'd go MiniDV) with a line in, you can get a little bullet cam and mount that on your crash lid.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Handheld or helmet cam?

If you get a good handheld (I'd go MiniDV) with a line in, you can get a little bullet cam and mount that on your crash lid.

That is what I have..........Sony handheld (DCR-HC96.....great cam) with a Viosport ''lipstick" camara on my helmet. All in all the system works good and I have some pretty fun clips BUT..............it is all a bit cumbersome with all the wires and the remote (not wireless) which is in my pocket. This enables you to go from "record" to "stand-by" w/o having to pull the camara out of the backpack all the time.

I;m looking into this camara...........sounds pretty slick and simple.

http://www.vholdr.com/

Quinton

B
Jan 5, 2008
NW CO
I want both...of course. I think handheld will give me better videos, but I will need to setup, etc. But I like the helmet cam idea, some great action shots, and I get to ride too... I think a good handheld to start.

Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
I am just curious what types of video cameras people are using to record their rides. I am looking for something a litle more high quality / high speed than the average home video camera.
Thx

You need to be looking for a seperate Mini-DV and helmet camera. All of these small one piece mini cameras or mini DVR's using memory have their limitations. The best helmet camera's out there are made by Sony. The most compatable Mini-DV recorders with features like LANC controls are also made by Sony. I've done the research and trail and error thing and getting what you want in the "high quality" arena is out there but not packaged and advertised for easy sales. Most of the newer Mini-DV cameras don't have LANC control or video in so you will probably need to look for an older top of the line camera.

Here is the Helmet Camera:http://www.helmetcamera.com/acart/agora.cgi?product=HelmetCamera_&xm=on

R
You need to be looking for a seperate Mini-DV and helmet camera. All of these small one piece mini cameras or mini DVR's using memory have their limitations. The best helmet camera's out there are made by Sony. The most compatable Mini-DV recorders with features like LANC controls are also made by Sony. I've done the research and trail and error thing and getting what you want in the "high quality" arena is out there but not packaged and advertised for easy sales. Most of the newer Mini-DV cameras don't have LANC control or video in so you will probably need to look for an older top of the line camera.

Here is the Helmet Camera:http://www.helmetcamera.com/acart/agora.cgi?product=HelmetCamera_&xm=on

Thanks for the write up quickdraw ... I have been considering that HC-2 system for a few weeks now. No audio in the waterproof box though ... gotta have sound. The only thing that bugs me is that it's a wired system ... but I may just live with that and carry the DVR in a chest pouch or something. The vholdr cam looks pretty decent, and it being a single wireless unit is a huge plus for me ... I just know the video quality will not be anything like the Sony set-up. Decisions, decisions ....;)

Last edited:
Q
Nov 28, 2007
Island Park, Id
Thanks for the write up quickdraw ... I have been considering that HC-2 system for a few weeks now. No audio in the waterproof box though ... gotta have sound. The only thing that bugs me is that it's a wired system ... but I may just live with that and carry the DVR in a chest pouch or something. The vholdr cam looks pretty decent, and it being a single wireless unit is a huge plus for me ... I just know the video quality will not be anything like the Sony set-up. Decisions, decisions ....;)

2 years ago after I already had my HelmetCam and my Sony Mini-DV I bought an earlier version DVR from HelmetCam.com. It was small and worked OK but the picture quality @ .35 megapixles was not very good. My 7 yr old Sony DCR-TRV30 is 1.5 megapixle and has a picture that even looks great on a 60" tv. I was putting the DVR in my coat pocket so the wire issue wasn't a big deal. With my Sony Mini-DV I carry a backpack and have 1 wire coming out of the backpack right up the back of my helmet to the helmetcam. The I run the LANC cord over the backpack strap to about chest high. I can control the LANC very easy to turn the camera on, off, standby and record. I just don't like to carry a backpack. Last year I bought a fanny pack that I might like better but haven't tried it yet. I also went on Ebay and picked up another Sony Mini-DV for around $300 because I use mine in an underwater video housing and for that price it was a good backup. Also when I'm recording using video in on the camera the microphone it still active so I get sound and the Helmetcam.com kits com with an external mic if you need it.

Last edited:
A
Sep 18, 2008
pierre, sd
the vholdr is by far pry the easiest to run as far as turning record on an off with gloves and the video quality is good too. i think the best feature tho is the size and there are now wires.all video is stored in a small sd disc like the ones taht go in a cell phone. the only drawback in the wind noise you get but a little tape muffles the wind sound pretty good and you still get the engine noise.. id post some vids but due to a computer crash i lost them all

Premium Features