• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

push turbo???

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't remember the brand of turbo, possibly aerocharger? Seems they have like a 3 ounce reservior. So they do have an oil supply, just no pump.

As to the big industrial and truck diesels using engine oil for turbo lube, most do have oil colers and engine oil normally does not get much past 260 deg or so. While this may not sound very cool, it is all relative, and those numbers are enough to keep the oil from breaking down and scortching.

Sorry, sort of off topic.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
aerocharger

Yes I did forget about that turbo and yes it will last as long as you do not push it.But they are like 1800 just for the turbo.

I don't remember the brand of turbo, possibly aerocharger? Seems they have like a 3 ounce reservior. So they do have an oil supply, just no pump.

As to the big industrial and truck diesels using engine oil for turbo lube, most do have oil colers and engine oil normally does not get much past 260 deg or so. While this may not sound very cool, it is all relative, and those numbers are enough to keep the oil from breaking down and scortching.

Sorry, sort of off topic.

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
Just my 2 cents.

Automotive and diesel turbos are supplied by MASSIVE quantities of oil helping to carry away excess heat from the seal and bearing. They routinely run 700,000 miles. We wanna run the ragged edge of performance with minimal extra machinery, many turbos have been installed with no pump, just a small reserve. I guess I am trying to say that longevity and reliability is the goal here.

Also, you don't see many water jackets on turbos smaller than those on ships. If the turbo actually has a water jacket, that is a new one on me. I didn't notice it on the show machine, but I ran short on time.

The diesel turbo's you are talking about are journal bearing turbo's totally different design. They use the oil pressure as a bearing from what I understand. Need a lot of oil, and pressure, so much flow that it cools off the center section. The ball bearing turbo's just need drips of oil. You can get a ball bearing turbo for your Diesel, but you will need to restrict the oil flow to it and it will also require coolant lines run to it... I think this is why you don't see many journal bearing turbo's on sleds... Too high of oil requirement.

D

dubbs

Dec 8, 2007
Calgary ab
While I see what you are saying with the volume of oil, you also have to consider that the engine is also using/heating this same oil. While my truck uses 3 gallons of oil, it's also a 6.7 liter engine heating that volume of oil. Think about an import car, they hold about 4 quarts of oil and both the turbo and the engine are working to heat that oil and there is no cooling. They turn over that 4 quarts of oil pretty quickly. In a 2 stroke turbo, the only thing heating the oil is the turbo and on a ball bearing turbo the oil pressure is really low, like 1 or 2 psi so while they only hold a 1/2 to 1 quart of oil, the oil isn't being heated by the motor, the only thing heating the oil is the turbo itself and the full capacity of the oil is being turned over very slowly. Cold starts are the hardest thing on an automotive turbo and engine, partly because the oil has drained into the pan but partly because the oil is cold and moves slowly. I understand where the theory of cooling the oil comes from, but isn't that the job of the coolant we pump through the turbo? I guess what I'm asking is, is there any solid engineering or testing that has proven that cooler oil is better for a turbo than warm oil?

I don't want to totally pollute this thread with this topic, I'm not trying to say that push has it wrong. I only put it here because it's a selling point of this turbo and I have questions about it. If we need to move it to another thread as not to derail this one I'm fine with that too. It seems that the turbo manufacture and some of the kit builders have a different opinion about whats best for the life of the turbo, I'm just wondering if the theory's that are being used by kit builders are supported by any real world testing/engineering and if so, what are the results of that testing/engineering? Again, not turning this against push.....they are not the only builder doing this.

I don't want to bash either, I think your point is valid as hell... With a quart of oil in the tank getting pumped through the turbo as slowly as it is it would be pretty much impossible for it to get out of range hot in my opinion. I have felt my oil tank after bagging the piss out if it for long periods.. It's hot but not
too hot..

Maybe he has reduced the oil capacity to cut down on weight and now has a need to cool it? That would make sense?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Ken changed his design and no longer uses the belly pan mounted oil cooler. His new design runs engine coolant through the oil reservoir. I don't know enough to say if this is a good or bad thing. I would think it would sometimes heat the oil and sometimes cool the oil, depending on the oil and coolant temp.

toesmack

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2008
Reno, NV
It may serve to heat the oil quicker during warm-up, but our sleds run only around 135 deg or so. Primarily you would see only the cooling benefits. Oil below 200 deg will last forever and give great lube. Excellent idea.

searchandrescue

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
It allows you to run like 12oz of oil insted of 32 to 96oz of oil.

Looks like Yamaha Corporate thinks its a hell of a system. You can find it on their web site and 2011 catalog.

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
I have never seen one yet I can not imagine one ride with out oil to turbo.

aerocharger has no oil cooler a self contained set up. the factory set up on the Nytro is a push I saw this dude at the puyallup show great simple set up. After having several turbo set ups I think the key to the kit is the electronics and the fuel control. The best stuff for me is the stuff I dont have to mess with just start and ride at any elevation without adjustments.

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
It allows you to run like 12oz of oil insted of 32 to 96oz of oil.
QUOTE]

That's cool, plus the way he builds them is so simple and hopefully a part of getting costs down.

I ran about 15 - 21 OZ of oil last year in my system and didn't have a heat issue. I think the cooling/heating tube would tend to keep the oil at a consistant temp kinda like our throttle bodies.

If it doesn't raise costs why not!

Innovative ideas help grow the sport!

N
Nov 12, 2010
Phone#?

I called and talked with Ken he said his web page should hit the internet by tomarrow

PUSHTURBO.COM
HI There! I was at Intermountainshow in Salt Lake 2 weeks ago, i talked to the PUSH people, but i have lost the card i got from them, could you please PM me their phone#, need to order som turbo kits ;)

Thanks!

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Turbo's run 180-230 oil temp in auto and truck applications all fricken day long. I know sledders like to think that sled type temps are too high, but really, they aren't.

Oil doens't even start to break down till the 250 range. Far as the run 2 stroke oil to lube the center housing??l......:face-icon-small-con Really?

Not that cooling oil is bad, but is it really needed?

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
Jeff Medinger at Dakota Performance is still offering Power Commander 5's with the Push Turbo Kits. This year the PC V will have Fuel Trim Capabilities in the LCD-200. The LCD will allow you to tab in our out fuel on the fly when temps. or other things change. When the new firmware is released it will be posted on our website for customers to upgrade for free.

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
Jeff at Dakota Performance has one setup with the PCV. He did some testing around the shop and said the sled pulled supprisingly hard. He had aother pump gas turbo there and had both of them set to 7lbs with the exact same clutching. He claimed that the chineese turbo was running 200 rpm more than the other sled. He threw some extra weight at the primary and now the chineese turbo will pull the other sled by 3-4 sled lengths.

hcrider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2009
wyoming
i have one ordered should be in next week. hopefully be riding turbo cat next week end. if all works out i will post ride results with a perma grin

K

knuts82

Dec 12, 2007
Bismarck ND
I dont think anyone has one yet, I ordered one the end of september and still dont have it. Ordered it through Dakota Performance, Jeff from there will have his in the mountains this week and my kit should be here this week. I started a post in Member sled builds and will be putting up pics of the install if I ever get the thing..

Premium Features