• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no tach on 06 summit 600

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Tach quit working 06 summit 600

I start by saying that this is likely caused by me.

The tach no longer works. the odometer displays the word SCALE.
when first starting the oil, temp, and (!) lights illuminate like normal.
The tach needle does a twitch and then doesn't move again.
10-9 MI flashes a few times before SCALE is displayed.
by depressing the RER button everything normal happens, it goes into reverse and lights flash as motor flips direction.
The headlight low beam and high beams operate normally but the Blue high beam light no longer illuminates.
The sled is very new to me, but when I bought it everything worked normally.
I rode the sled 2 weeks ago and then took some of the front plasic off to remove
the gas gauge because it was stuck. After reassembling everything the current symptoms arose.
I have verified that the 2 20amp fuses are good, I have unplugged the tach and replugged it in. I have removed the DESS plug and inspected it, I have unplugged the ECU (except the last BIG plug-too hard to unplug-don't yank on wires)
Ideally I plug my tach into a friend's sled or plug their tach into mine but that isn't an option at this moment.
Has anyone else run into this problem? I imagine that the 800 adrenalines have the same tachometer.

Last edited:
T
Feb 24, 2008
Kalispell, Montana
My buddys sled did the exact same thing, I think it ended up being the relay that is hangin around up by those fuses somewhere. its a little black box about 1.5"X1.5" plugged into like 4 or 5 wires. good luck!

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
My buddys sled did the exact same thing, I think it ended up being the relay that is hangin around up by those fuses somewhere. its a little black box about 1.5"X1.5" plugged into like 4 or 5 wires. good luck!

I have been wondering about that little relay. I might as well replace it and see what happens, I can't imagine it will cost more than a few bucks. Thanks

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Put the tach back on the sled today and fired it off. It is back to working correctly about 90 percent of the time. Didn't do anything different except pushing on the trip meter button from the side instead of directly on.
Had the relay off and energized the coil with 12 volts and heard it click on and off. verified that it was going open to closed with my DVOM. Don't know if the relay is the problem but have a new one coming from the shop. Thanks for the input, All I really care is that it works.

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Rode last weekend at Mt Baker, tach worked the entire time without hiccups. It must have been that trip button being stuck. All fixed with no money out. I love it. Thanks for the input
Justin

Premium Features