• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has This Happened To You??? Please Help

J
Nov 27, 2007
So I have a 2008 700 RMK. It has about 200 miles on it and last weekend we went out and in a meadow i was doing a cookie and fell off but my throttle somehow got stuck and went about 200 yards full throttle into a tree. The sled is bad and when we got up to it the throttle was still stuck open and the track was spinning at full speed until I hit the kill switch.

So what I need to know is if this is something that has happened to you or someone you know and what i can do about it. Will polaris step up to the plate and fix my totalled sled. I took a ton of pics showing that it was in a meadow and that the throttle was stuck, not rider error or anything like that. Let me know what you all think. Thanks very Much

Jesse

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
Son of a biotch! I have got to get a teather. I am sorry about the next line

thisthreadisworthless.gif

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I would argue it's a warranty prob since the switch on the throttle flapper wasn't working properly. Any pics!!!!!!! Was it insured?

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Have over 900 miles on my 08 700 with zero problems.
Yours is the first throttle problem I have heard about.

S
Jan 31, 2008
peters creek AK
I pulled the rubber off the throttle cable on the wifes 07 d7 its the same as my d8 and the upper part of the cable came out of the adjuster. it held the throttle wide open untill I stuck it back where it went. The sled was turned off at the time but if you hit or pulled the cable when you fell off it could have stuck open, I have since taped over both cables on each machine under the rubber cover. could have been what happen to you.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Yep my 900 did it but it was my fault. I thought I would adjust the throttle boddies so they were perfect when WOT. Well if you go so they are flat when when wide open they stick. Was a wild ride into the enclosed trailer LOL

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
Doesn't Polaris have the shut down in the throttle block yet? Sounds like they did away with it, with everybodys sleds leaving them behind.

yes polaris has the safety switch in the throttle block, they have for ages, I check mine all the time to make sure it's working. You just pinch the flipper where it hinges(while its running) and squeeze the throttle and the sled shuts off. Dont let your dealer tell you it's not warranty cuz your safety switch obviously wasn't working. What a bummer though!

S
Dec 13, 2007
Eagle, CO
check your owners manual. look at the trottle safety section. when i was reading my i remember reading about a safety feature on the trottle assembly. thought this might help.
mike

T
Dec 6, 2007
Regardless of who is going to pay it is still a HUGE pain in ars that could have been prevented by a $50 tether. I never ride without it. Sorry about your luck. I don't envy you at all. :face-icon-small-dis

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
mine got stuck the other way
after a good stuck it would not start
checked everything
then was going to throw in the towel and remembered the throttle cable adjustment
went to the handle bars and checked the cable and sure enough it was pulled out
I re-seated it in the cable adjuster and it fired right up
not sure why your kept running it must be a micro switch not working
you should meter it and then give it to your dealer to diagnose and then try Polaris for the Bill
Good Luck

M
Sep 4, 2007
Minnesota
Did it have a lefty?

It comes with the throttle safety switch but if you put a lefty on you have to disconnect it for it not to kill every time you use the lefty.

T
Nov 26, 2007
The problem isn't the switch, it's the fact that they rely on the flipper to be pulled back enough to hit the switch. The cable pressure is what pulls the flipper back... If the cable is stuck, what's pulling the flipper?? Wishes?? Hopes? Dreams?? Good intentions??

Polaris should just spring load the flipper in the handle with a super light spring.... Oh, and make the light spring pressure enough to actually engage the switch.

You will find the lefties work because the little white button actually has enough pressure on it to hold a loose flipper off of it. So if a person didn't have the time to pull the flipper into the switch while a cable was stuck.... braaap!! bang.

J
Nov 27, 2007
Figured it out

So here is what happened. My throttle housing got twisted down. Now normaly this wouldnt matter, but i have a lefty throtle that caused the problem. When the housing twisted down the lefty cable pulled the main throtle open and held it open. So if I didnt have a lefty then this thing wouldnt have happened. So beware if you have a lefty this could happen to you. The total damage to the sled is a huge $7,760.19. OUCH!!!!:eek:

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
So here is what happened. My throttle housing got twisted down. Now normaly this wouldnt matter, but i have a lefty throtle that caused the problem. When the housing twisted down the lefty cable pulled the main throtle open and held it open. So if I didnt have a lefty then this thing wouldnt have happened. So beware if you have a lefty this could happen to you. The total damage to the sled is a huge $7,760.19. OUCH!!!!:eek:
I almost bought my buddies king cat because of the same type of thing. Climbing a hardpacked hill, went between 2 trees at WOT, didn't realize a branch hit the lefty and pulled the cable tight. Decided to turn out, let off the main throttle and the stupid thing was still WOT. Barely got turned out, and was able to hit the kill switch. Next thing to go on was a set of handguards.

M

mtna_buzz

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Had it happen last year - got lucky

I had the same thing happen with a lefty last year. Came to a stop and stepped off the sled....with my weight off of it, it settled into a tree branch which pushed and twisted the throttle so it stuck...wide open.

Nothing worse than seeing your sled accelerating out of view by itself. Luckily, it was spinning the track so it didn't gain much speed and only went about 25 feet before hooking a small tree. No damage. Could just have easily been a total loss.

Installed polaris tethers on mine and two other sleds in the group I ride with - have had no trouble with them.

T
Apr 7, 2008
team bowwow

watched my friends xp come out of the trees wfo without him on it come across an opening and t-bone a friend of ours luckly he caught the extension of the tunnel after words found pine needles wedged in throttle every one should have a teather not only to save your sled but may save somebody thakfully no one was injured or killed

Premium Features