• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone using wireless backup cameras?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I had one for my camper. It was made by Voyager but I don't know the model (don't have the camper anymore). It was sweet when backing up or passing cars to see if I was clear. It worked off of RF so every once in a while it would act up. Nice to have.

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
Back up Camera

I bought one at either Sam's Club or Costco. It was around $100 bucks. I attached it to the license plate bracket so I can hook up to my enclosed trailer. It's not totally wireless. You have a wire that plugs into the cigarette lighter,then it goes up to the monitor on the dash. It takes some practice to get the hang of just where the hitch and ball meet. So far my only problem is that you have to wipe off road grim off the lens. I would do that with something wet so you don't scratch the lens. Probably just made out of plastic. Hope this helps.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm thinking about mounting a wireless backup camera on my enclosed. Looking for opinions, good or bad, and what models?
I use this one.
Swift Hitch SH02 Portable Wireless Camera System
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BFBK2W/ref=oh_details_o06_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SwiftHitch01.jpg

hiw%20mount%20resize.jpg

hiw%20view%20resize.jpg

O
Oct 15, 2010
Clarkston, MI

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Christopher, I'm talking about mounting one on the back of the enclosed to be able to see behind you when going down the road.

Otter, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. At first I thought about putting quick connects at the hitch, but this seemed like a much better option.

Was there much, if any, lag in the system? What kind of range did it have?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Working in the RV business I have installed the voyager several times. Good system. Wire the camera into a running light and plug in the monitor. If you don't want the lights on to power the camera then run a direct power sourced. The wireless term basically means the monitor and the camera doesn't need a cable between them.

http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/voyager-wireless-backup-camera-delivers-a-clear-view/

Damn!! Thats pretty spendy.

This one looks good http://www.iballhitchcam.com

O
Oct 15, 2010
Clarkston, MI
Christopher, I'm talking about mounting one on the back of the enclosed to be able to see behind you when going down the road.

Otter, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. At first I thought about putting quick connects at the hitch, but this seemed like a much better option.

Was there much, if any, lag in the system? What kind of range did it have?
Very little lag. I have put them on 40 foot toy haulers and they reach the cab of the truck with no problem.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Never considered that.

But it would actually be pretty dang nice to have that view once in a while.

For me I bought the little one just to make it MUCH EASIER for me to back up and hook up the trailer by myself.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I'm talking about mounting one on the back of the enclosed to be able to see behind you when going down the road.

The hard part is finding a place to put it where it won't get covered in snow dust as you go down the road. I know TecPro in Anchorage makes lens heaters for webcams, but you would need a small amount of power for them to work.

Premium Features