• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Push Turbo/Vipec install

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
y dealer is pretty close with push and vipec so I kind of got the inside scoop. Will probably have to run lower compression also. I know they want to get it setup for straight pump.

LOL, keep pulling the timing and dropping the compression while everyone else pulls ahead.:juggle:

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
LOL, keep pulling the timing and dropping the compression while everyone else pulls ahead.:juggle:

I don't know you and you don't know me, but you have been bagging on Vipec in every thread you can. I don't know what kind of problem you have with them. You have never run this system so I don't know what you can offer except running on and on how it's no good. If you can bring something constructive to the table I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Push kits.

It is just like I told all my customers I will not sell The Box till I test it. I will sell you a kit and put a box I know I can tune and when and if The ECU is ready then and only then will I set you up. I do not believe customers should be test dummies.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
you have been bagging on Vipec in every thread you can. I don't know what kind of problem you have with them. You have never run this system so I don't know what you can offer except running on and on how it's no good. If you can bring something constructive to the table I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

I personally have NO issue with the vipec ecu. I think its smart to have one system do everything the way it needs to be done, not two systems that can often struggle to work together. I do have a problem with this strange mentality of pulling timing AND dropping compression so you can just keep pumping up the boost on pump gas. You can do it with a Power commander, vipec, a simple timing filter, and throw a cut head on anything. Your borrowing from peter to pay paul is all i see with this logic stream.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Your right, I would rather run a couple gallons of race in each tank than leave power on the table. They have the Polaris running on straight pump, and running well, so I would think this is doable. Just need to figure out the right combination. I don't claim to be some turbo guru that knows everything. Just trying to be as knowledgable as possible. Vipec is dynoing different combos, just hope they get everything figured out.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Personally I could care less about running on pump gas, It's not even worth it to me to run a turbo on pump gas. Why would anyone at low elevation want to spend the $5-7000 on a turbo for the same power you can get out of a big bore for less than half the price. I wanted a map to run on AV gas for most of the time, and then a map for straight 110 to get silly with.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I personally have NO issue with the vipec ecu. I think its smart to have one system do everything the way it needs to be done, not two systems that can often struggle to work together. I do have a problem with this strange mentality of pulling timing AND dropping compression so you can just keep pumping up the boost on pump gas. You can do it with a Power commander, vipec, a simple timing filter, and throw a cut head on anything. Your borrowing from peter to pay paul is all i see with this logic stream.

Didn't want to jump in but......timing filter? That's one of your best reply of the year! This engine cannot be run turboed at 13.5:1 compression ratio. After 7200 rpm the power drop so bad it ain't funny and knock is there bad to. Several other issues with the exhaust backpressure need to be resolve before releasing mapping( nothing out of control) It is so easy to thrash talk when you are sitting there keyboard typing with only your mouth as a tuning tool...

Vi-pec powersports

Last edited:

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Mr vipec you are saying you take compression out to gain HP above 7200 rpm. What does that do to your bottom end performance? I run the 2010 m8t with the stock ho head as I was thinking pulling compression will make the bottom end doggy and it makes plenty of power on top now anyways. Maybe I am thinking this all wrong idk you got me thinking here.......

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Didn't want to jump in but......timing filter? That's one of your best reply of the year!

I know, i hate to give away the secrets of how these simple little circuits are being sold to them for $100+ when they cost pennies to MFG.

Low pass filter. freshman level EE stuff, its so simple it is comical.

and a fun little demo to see how much you would retard depending on component selection
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/experiment/lowpass/lpf.html

:cheer2:

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I know, i hate to give away the secrets of how these simple little circuits are being sold to them for $100+ when they cost pennies to MFG.

Low pass filter. freshman level EE stuff, its so simple it is comical.

and a fun little demo to see how much you would retard depending on component selection
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/experiment/lowpass/lpf.html

:cheer2:

build a circuit i will buy it from you then! so your option would be to retard timing all across the ignition map? brillant. enough now, leave this thread alone.
:focus:

C
Jan 13, 2008
Garwin, Iowa
Push Turbo/Vipec help

Ive got a 2010 M8 and just got the Push Turbo with Vipec. First turbo install I've done and struggling. Any of you out there with this kit installed on your M8, would you be willing to post some pics for reference? Any help would be better than the instructions that came with the kit ;)

THANKS!

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
So I wonder if they are going to be including a new turbo pipe with the kit or sending a new stinger for customers to fab up into their existing pipe. Either way, they need to take care of the existing customers to get these things up and running. Thanks for the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Vipec quoted me $2100 for their ECU

If i spent my hard earned $$$, on one of these and it wasn't absolutely bullet proof, I would be pizzed off royally. the thing should work flawlessly and be the next best thing to sliced bread

R
Feb 26, 2008
Just finished my own install on 13 M8 Push Vipec thanks to Bacon and a couple others. If anybody else needs some help, let me know. Might try and do a write up soon

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
scary for you guys investing money and not getting the feed back you deserve..
if mm wont install for any of his customers i would not even have touched this..
maybe send box back for refund and get the pl box till you see the vipec thing is proven... thats what i would do!!!!

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Just finished my own install on 13 M8 Push Vipec thanks to Bacon and a couple others. If anybody else needs some help, let me know. Might try and do a write up soon

good on you, but why do you have to give the help, where are the MFG.'s charging all this money?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
guys, you all understand we sell ECU and not turbo kits. we have all the necessary testing done to say the 800 arctic cat ECU is working flawlessly and we have incorporated a MAP sensor on the main board so you can save some installatlion/harware money.Now, if a particular turbo manufacturer is not doing his job, then it ain't our thing, while we are helping a few guys straightening up their stuff, it takes some time and commercialization need to be adressed. Again, We sell ECU and no turbo kits, we are willing to help the best we can but won't let go mapping on our side until satisfied with the hardware.....the push turbo kit is running good but need a few tweaking to make it stable that we are adressing with Ken right now. Hope this clarify the situation.

Last edited:

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
What I don't understand is how this kit ran good last year on the PCV and on the boondocker box, then when the VIPEC comes along and all of a sudden the kit needs to be redesigned. There are always things that can be tweaked and changed to make a kit work better. But how about making what we've got now work.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
What I don't understand is how this kit ran good last year on the PCV and on the boondocker box, then when the VIPEC comes along and all of a sudden the kit needs to be redesigned. There are always things that can be tweaked and changed to make a kit work better. But how about making what we've got now work.
What you consider "working good last year" is totaly different then what we consider working good. Since we are now involved in Push kit re-design/tuning (with the manufacturer, not retail), we will not send out mapping until we are 100% satisfied with it, same here with pinout infos or anything related on our side because we are not satisfied up againts our standards.

Premium Features