• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx Supercharger kit??? WTF

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
only plus of the supercharger over a turbo I can see is no turbo lag.

I can get my 2871 M7 to spool 1psi before the clutch engages and make it act like a big bore thru the power band.

It just blows my mind when I say that last night. I doubt that it can even go higher then 5psi with out just blowing thru the ports.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I can get my 2871 M7 to spool 1psi before the clutch engages and make it act like a big bore thru the power band.

It just blows my mind when I say that last night. I doubt that it can even go higher then 5psi with out just blowing thru the ports.
yeah getting stuck with 5 psi max sounds like a blast!!! lol. or not at all. probably just sell to the rouge suckers here and there and make plenty off it to cover minimal sales.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
yeah getting stuck with 5 psi max sounds like a blast!!! lol. or not at all. probably just sell to the rouge suckers here and there and make plenty off it to cover minimal sales.

Just so odd, had they priced it appropriately off the bat, they'd have sold more, and they'd likely have a bigger share of the low boost PG type market.

Instead they went with the "rapist" version, telling us it would install in "a couple hours" but charging $1000 for install... and selling a low boost setup for more than a race gas setup from anyone else. Just seems like an odd way to go about things. I was REALLY looking forward to this kit until Jeremy got involved, I felt this would have been perfect for my riding style & the quick install/ removal would have been ideal for my sled buying habits, so I could swap from one sled to the next easily.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Not to mention the the weight and mechanical issues with a supercharger. I just don't see how this was a good business decision on speedwerx parts.

But to each there own.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Not to mention the the weight and mechanical issues with a supercharger. I just don't see how this was a good business decision on speedwerx parts.

But to each there own.

Well, I'm not sure about the business side of things, but the idea was to have a boosted system without lag, and that was a bolt on simple install.

In theory the weight was supposed to be minimal as well.

It sounded like a pretty nice setup in theory.

A
Nov 21, 2008
I think the kit was designed for a certain type of on and off throtle say tree riders and jumpers. Yes turbos spool up quick if your holding it wide open but in a techical spot its very easy to back out a litle to much in the mid range and get below the fine line where they blowoff and loose all the boost for a second before it can charge the intake pipe again. Also anytime your in the air and need power to pull the nose up a turbo cant provide because the track must be loaded in order to make boost. I havent seen the speedwerks supercharger but i was STOKED on the ripcharger kit if they can hit the right price point.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think the kit was designed for a certain type of on and off throtle say tree riders and jumpers. Yes turbos spool up quick if your holding it wide open but in a techical spot its very easy to back out a litle to much in the mid range and get below the fine line where they blowoff and loose all the boost for a second before it can charge the intake pipe again. Also anytime your in the air and need power to pull the nose up a turbo cant provide because the track must be loaded in order to make boost. I havent seen the speedwerks supercharger but i was STOKED on the ripcharger kit if they can hit the right price point.

As a jumper that rides a turbo... trust me, the turbo spools FAST in the air. It actually really changed the way I jump because I can make huge track speed quickly, so re-entry type jumps & other hits where you use a lot of throttle are much easier. Going from a strong 1000 to boost, the turbo makes way more track speed in a jump, and changes direction fast.

That said, I think the supercharger will make that big track speed a little quicker, but it's loaded situations where the turbo is slower, not the other way around. Hardpack spools slower than soft snow for example...

EDP

Lifetime Membership
Been saying that for a year now.:face-icon-small-win

They said it was going to be cheaper than a turbo, which would have brought them a bunch of the Pump gas type customers, but instead they got greedy & put out a so so product for a ton of money.

Just so odd, had they priced it appropriately off the bat, they'd have sold more, and they'd likely have a bigger share of the low boost PG type market.

Instead they went with the "rapist" version, telling us it would install in "a couple hours" but charging $1000 for install... and selling a low boost setup for more than a race gas setup from anyone else. Just seems like an odd way to go about things. I was REALLY looking forward to this kit until Jeremy got involved, I felt this would have been perfect for my riding style & the quick install/ removal would have been ideal for my sled buying habits, so I could swap from one sled to the next easily.

As a jumper that rides a turbo... trust me, the turbo spools FAST in the air. It actually really changed the way I jump because I can make huge track speed quickly, so re-entry type jumps & other hits where you use a lot of throttle are much easier. Going from a strong 1000 to boost, the turbo makes way more track speed in a jump, and changes direction fast.

That said, I think the supercharger will make that big track speed a little quicker, but it's loaded situations where the turbo is slower, not the other way around. Hardpack spools slower than soft snow for example...

Always finding a way to speak on this kit like you have rode one let alone even scene one in person.....

Give it up already

EDP

Lifetime Membership
http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1400

$6,000 for 5psi at 210hp. why would anyone in there right mind buy this over a turbo?

You have to understand how much air is getting moved at said psi rating. Also the kit has and will be able to go past 5 psi if you would like.

I dont think they sold many.........for good reason

They sold many kits and more are going out this year as well already. Just because you dont see people on the net does not mean they are not out there.

But to each there own.

Procharger is the manufacture of the supercharger and has a very extensive reputation with quality and results. The procharger head unit itself is within reason of lbs to a comparable turbo. All said and done I would say the Procharger kit may be a touch lighter then comparable hp to hp turbo kits.

Correct this was designed off the ultimate all around forced induction upgrade with back country in main mind set. Turbo are on or off to be efficient at peak hp to throttle. A correctly mapped out super charger setup is designed for a wider range of forced induction and performance rpm ability. It is a whole different ride that just needs to be experienced before making judgment.

As for price look at what you are getting price to price hp to hp capability.
Cutler
ProClimb 800/ProCross 800 Turbo Kit "Stage 2"
You can customize this kit to run on pump gas or turn up the boost and let it fly on race gas.
The kit includes:
Garrett 2860 or optional Garrett 2871 turbo, 4 inch cold air intake with lightweight hood plentum, equal distribution & rubber mounted air box for performance & no vibration, 2.5 inch one piece charge tube and super large air box for more horsepower,CPC high quality fuel pressure regulator with gauge holds pressure for easy starting, vented oil tank that does not spill oil, boost gauge and handle bar boost gauge bracket, CPC Clutch kit, Retains stock oil injection so you don't need to mix fuel, exhaust exits out of stock belly pan for easy clean install, CPC 50mm high quality BOV for improved throttle response, CPC plug and play wiring harness & electronics,CPC reed injector block adds 2 extra injectors. The 4 injector design provides surplus fuel to build more power at high boost, high quality high flow fuel pump prevents injectors from starving from fuel, 10,000 + hour rated oil pump for durability, stainless steel rubber mounted hanger bracket & exhaust intake for quality and appearance. Pre assembled for easy installation.
Part # CP-001-8121
ProClimb 800/ProCross 800 stage 2 Retail $5399.95

BoonDocker:
• 2012-13 Arctic Cat M800 ProClimb
• High boost turbo wastegate actuator and high elevation clutching
• Boondocker Torque Builder™ non intercooled intakes are designed to increase air flow and velocity producing better throttle response and off boost torque.
• With its 60mm cast aluminum compressor wheel this turbo charger is an excellent value, offering a great balance between bottom end throttle response and efficiency at high boost levels. The GT2860 has been the preferred choice for several years now and has set a bench mark for all other turbo chargers to compare.
• The standard cast iron exhaust housing with Boondocker adjustable waste gate actuator is equipped with an internal waste gate and manually adjustable waste gate actuator.
• No Gauges Required
• Louvered durable plastic side vents increase air flow to the engine compartment.
$5664

Mod Rods:
Arctic Cat M Series 6, 7, 8 Race Gas/Pump Gas Basic Turbo
Arctic Cat M Series 6, 7, 8 Race Gas/Pump Gas Basic Turbo Kit. Send throttle bodies to us before shipping. Kits include: Duel injected throttle bodies, air box, charge tube, blow off valve, pre air filter, oil tank and filter, 2871 Garrett turbo, 3" down pipe, and 2" weld on pipe end, in tank high-output fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator. Boost and fuel pressure gauges, fuel control box, and manual boost controller. All lines, hoses, clamps, and fittings, with easy install detailed instructions with pictures. ***(Items in images may vary depending on turbo kit selected)***
$5100.00

Speedwerx:
KIT INCLUDES:
Speedwerx full supercharger exhaust system
Speedwerx Clutch kit
Speedwerx Injectors
Power Commander PCV boost ready controller with 3D mapping
Pro-Charger Supercharger
Necessary mounting brackets and hardware for complete install
Chrome-molly steering shaft on 2007-2010 models
Drive pulleys
Drive belt
High flow aluminum air box and charge tubes
ECU update to most current OEM specifications
Sled is lighter than stock once complete kit is installed.
Self contained oiling system. (No oil pumps to worry about!)
Lower under-hood temps and charge tube temps when compared to a turbo set-up.

Instant throttle response.
Best fuel controller on the market with 3D mapping.
No chassis mods required to install!
$5995.00

last I heard was that the program on ripcharger was at a stand still

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Always finding a way to speak on this kit like you have rode one let alone even scene one in person.....

Give it up already

Funny, the things where I'm talking about how it would work I'm actually defending you... it's the way YOU guys work that you screwed the pooch on.
My heart bleeds for you man. I've heard more lately about how you work... teaming up with Jeremy was a perfect choice it seems.

So as far as performance you're now claiming that you're making the power of a 13+ psi stage II with 5psi huh?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada

I rode a turboed 1000 in tight steep trees for 3 years and the only time you feel any lag is just for a split second when your first come off idle. And if your not on hard pack you wont even notice that. Besides that I drove it just like a regular 2 stoke, on and off the throttle all day.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
They sold many kits and more are going out this year as well already. Just because you dont see people on the net does not mean they are not out there.

Lol i am not concerned if they sold "many" kits. I am sure plenty of people have bought into it, throw an add in a magazine/catalog and get a good salesperson "a fool and his money are easily separated"

on a CVT motor drive system, superchargers have so little advantage, the loss of big end is not worth it.

Last edited:

EDP

Lifetime Membership
Any RMSHA guys running this setup edp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFR3Gb_JxI&feature=fvsr
RMSHA Riders as for racing on the circuit this season with a kit I can not speak on that at this point. :face-icon-small-coo

Funny, the things where I'm talking about how it would work I'm actually defending you... it's the way YOU guys work that you screwed the pooch on.
My heart bleeds for you man. I've heard more lately about how you work... teaming up with Jeremy was a perfect choice it seems.

So as far as performance you're now claiming that you're making the power of a 13+ psi stage II with 5psi huh?

You really have no clue about anything in relation to me or my business relations keep on spreading crap around.

You should prolly have knowledge on how forced induction works before jumping into a tech thread just to trash companies all the time.

As for peak performance I am comparing HP to HP capability to kit and what is all included in the kit. I dont know how many times I have to explain to you how this kit can compare to hp to boost ratio. No different then I can show you how a large 94mm turbo from Precision has the ability to produce more hp then a 94mm turbo from Bullseye all while the Bullseye will create a higher pressure ratio. Boost is just a number go to turbobygarrett.com and do a little reading on pressure ratio and mapping. Simple little insight is that you can take one turbo and have it make more hp and be more efficient at a lesser boost reading. turbo compressor to turbine sizing is critical push a turbo past it designated rpm shaft speed and watch it create more boost and make less hp

Boost Reading is just a number for said setup.
Turbo Cars and Supercharge cars can make the same hp side by side with two totally different boost readings.

Quick little common rule of thumb when choosing a forced induction setup is knowing how many Lbs per Minute of air it will move when in peak efficiency range and that will get you through all the boost hype and tell you the actual hp capability. If a performance shop can not produce this number for you and just tell you a boost number I would look into another kit for upgrades.
Ever 1 lb per minute is on average of 10 hp Example 10 lbs per minute of air will produce 100 hp. 120 lbs = 1200hp. Now you take that number and simply use your boost number to verify that your turbo is running at its peak efficiency range.

When we engine dyno tune in setups from diesel to gas many times we wont even use the boost reading as a tuning factor. 90% of time we will use a shaft speed sensor on turbo.
Super chargers being belt or gear driven are never tuned off of boost it all calculated off shaft speed. Diesel applications are very critical to shaft speed you can take a turbo at 125000 rpm make huge power numbers and push it to 127000 and watch a decrease of 50 hp real quick. Simple proof showing how critical taking something one way to another in small adjustments can take power one way or another real quick.

Lol i am not concerned if they sold "many" kits. I am sure plenty of people have bought into it, throw an add in a magazine/catalog and get a good salesperson "a fool and his money are easily separated"

on a CVT motor drive system, superchargers have so little advantage, the loss of big end is not worth it.

When setup correctly you will not see hp to hp difference.

This kit really does not need much tech support.
Every Performance shop struggles in the phone support we all know that. Its tough to find good help that does not feel like they need 50k a year and work 40 hours a week. And now with the great Obama in office another 4 years its only going to get worse. I have gone through many sales people through out the years. It take a unique person to love what they do and have the patience of a saint to deal with the day to day responsibilities as well as having the knowledge at the same time. Myself I stick any extra funds profited into more product development which most your performance shops do the same. So when purchasing small little things that many of your major eCommerce guys offer it helps to buy from those that actually RnD and develop products for your industry first think to support them in chance to develope more new and exciting products so we can put them on the net and trash them before knowing all facts.

I am here to help you guys and the understanding of forced induction not looking to trash companies or consumers so if you have actual tech questions fee free to ask.

I am not stating gods gift of knowledge on boost or forced induction for that there is always some one out there smarter but I do have a very long history in dealing with forced induction and how it works.

Again I am here to help with your questions or concerns if you have issues with certain companies please keep them to yourself.

Premium Features