• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wireless router

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
have a couple friends that want wireless internet in their house. i beleive they have quest dsl so what router do they need? none of us know much about this stuff and their are alot of choices. what are the differences between them all?

thanks for any help

Q

Q-BALL

Nov 26, 2007
northpole,ak.
I recently upgraded to a D-Link(model DIR-655) wireless N,6xrange &14xspeed faster than the previous Linksys wireless G we were using. super performance between house and the shop.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Don't need a specific one. The wireless routers/switches you get from bestbuy/walmart work fine. Linksys and D-Link are usually my choices for consumer-grade hardware.

On the back they usually have 5 network holes, 1 for "Internet" or "WAN", and 4 for "LAN".

Plug a computer into one of the "LAN" ports, go into the router's setup page (usually or similar) and turn off DHCP server. While you're in there, set up the wireless side with network name/channel/encryption (don't use wep).

Take the ethernet cable from the Qwest router and plug it into one of the LAN ports (NOT the "Internet" or "WAN" hole).

This is probably the #1 problem people have with setting up wireless in their house. When you don't do this, you'll be running your network through two networks before you get to "internet", complete with two firewalls, two NATs, etc. Totally fcuks with VPN, some HTTPS pages won't work (Banks, DoD/.mil, some online shopping), and it slows down your whole network.

Premium Features