• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Must do! for the 2007 Summit 800r ???

S
Dec 19, 2008
Hey Guys, I've been on here for what seems like the last 24 hours research all about the 2007 summit 800's and weather or not I should buy one. Well the deal I got was to good to pass up so this morning I bought it!

2007 Summit XRS 151" - 1200 Miles, BRP can, Aftermarket Clutch kit, New Track (not sure which one). Stock motor with no problems
Paid $7000(canadain) Roughly $5600

Has 125 PSI in both cylinders, which I know isn't great but also isn't terrible.

The sled seems to run good and lots of power, but I was wondering what I MUST DO to ensure that I don't blow the motor or get some other surpises?

How can I tell what type of track is on my sled?

I love the site and the wealth of information on it!

Thanks Guys
~Scottie

J
Oct 18, 2008
Whitefish Mt.
I have a 07 XRS and I have never had a problem with it, and I might add I used the same belt for 1800 miles and its still going strong, I bought a 09 xp
and so far so good, happy motor in!

O
Dec 6, 2007
Give me a little more info on the thermostat thing for the '07's. Is there a housing already set up in this motor for a thermostat or do you need to put in some type on in-line kit. If it is already set up for a thermostat do you just order one for a '08 (the '08 came from the factory with a thermostat if I remember correctly)? Thanks in advance

S
Dec 19, 2008
Some more info on the thermostat would be much appricated...also probably a stupid question but what will this do for me and what does it protect?

Thanks

S
congratulations on the new purchase. i told myself last year and again this year that i was going to sell my XRS and get an XP but i just can't seem to do it. i love mine and have had no problems with it. make sure the clutch updates have been done and watch the oil consumption. i know you're in canada but ken at island park adventures could also give you some ideas on what else to do.

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
There should be a number on the track just lift the rear end up and roll the track till you find it. Then check it back on BRP website for which one it is. I have heard that this track trenches compared to other models of this year. You will have fun even if it does blow up all the time. Its part of this sport.

Happy riding

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Some more info on the thermostat would be much appricated...also probably a stupid question but what will this do for me and what does it protect?

Thanks
Multiple threads on this.

The 800r motor originally came without a TS. What they didnt realize is that this motor has a more effective cooling thus in deep snow with maximum cooling potential it can make the bottom end of the motor run too cool. Thus lots of heat (running wot in deep) from the top end of the motor and max cooling in case will cause PTO bearing to expand/contract thus resulting in premature failure.

08 they put in a thermostat and also reduced pto bearing size by 8 microns to try and compensate for this.

Good old BRP knows the problem and fix but would rather turn a blind eye to 07's and gamble on peeps not riding deep snow and loosing cranks then recall/address the issue. @#$#@$ pr1cks

If you search there is alot more info this was just some basics.

Some peeps may say their sled is fine but I will bet you any money that their crank run keeps increasing at an accelerated rate.

Talk to Al he has the fix and more in depth discussion. Slight change to stock head to allow the TS to drop in. About a 50$ fix that could save you a crank/rebuild.

Shaving power valves/heads/clutching/gearing.......make a world of difference. I have yet to see a XP version outperform a set up rev version.

Great sled just need to set them up.

C
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, AB
Diddo on Tuesdays comments....
07's are infamous for blown engines caused by ceased crank bearings due to 2 things:
1) Bearing races could be out of spec from factory
2) There is no thermostat from factory in 07, and when running in deep powder, causes a cold seize on the crank. Hot on the inside, cold on the outer case. Temp never gets much above 70 degrees without a thermostat.

If you check your crank runout and it is within spec, you might be able to save your engine ahead of time. Al did mine a few weeks ago, has 1500kms, and was within half a thou, basically like new. So he machined the head, and dropped in an 06 thermostat. I also installed a digital temp gauge to monitor engine temp.

Other than that, make sure your oil pump is adjusted, tends to run rich. And get clutch updates done. TurboAl also put in new primary and secondary springs, along with a new spring tower cap... they tend to wear out fast, causing vibration in the clutches.

I haven't had any issues, and my sled rips..... good luck.

S
Dec 19, 2008
Well I just returned from talking with the local dealership and they weren't much help...never heard of installing a thermostat on the 07's.
But i did check out getting extented warrenty...because the warrenty expired Nov 31 they are tryin to figure out a way around that so I can stay with BRP which is the cheapest. For a 24 month warrenty I'm lookin at about $1300...

Do you think its worth it???

Whats the total cost of a thermostat install...Gonna get that done too.

Thanks
~Scottie

C
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, AB
Take a drive out to Revy, talk to Al at the Sledshed, great guy with a lot of knowledge... get him to do a driftshaft run out, which will give you a better idea on how your crank is. If its good, put in a thermostat, and save the money and dont' get the warranty. If its bad, get the warranty, and ride the hell out of it in deep pow, and try to blow it up to get the new updated engine. Thermostat install should be around $200 or so.

Dealerships are hit or miss.... I haven't had any good experience with them. Al has been studying Skidoo's for years...

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier, just bought the wife on 07 151 Dren with 325 miles on it last night, can hardly tell the sled has been ridin still had plastic clutch cover on and original belt. Clutches looked alright when I cleaned them. Belt also looked good.
Oil adjustment still 19mm or is it 21mm on the 07's?
If the sled hasn't had the clutch updates is it still possible to get them?

Premium Features