• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A good gps???

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Whats a good gps that is a decent price. whats everbody running these daz.

If you have a smartphone you can get a software aplication to work on the phone (even though no reception just need line of site to satellite(s)) for under $30.

Otherwise as long as the GPS has WAAS (which all do today) it boils down to what bells and whistles you want.

Can get a good basic one for under $100 or get the best for $400

Last edited:
R
Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
I run a Garmin Montana 600 with a Garmin Montana AMPS mount using RAM balls and arm. I made a plate to mount the GPS on top of handlebar riser and hardwired it.

XF1100GPSSPOTGoPro.jpg

XF1100GPSSPOTGoProSide.jpg

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I run a Garmin 62s. I like it for what I use it for (spot checking of locations and marking of waypoints once in a while). I really enjoyed setting it up with my own maps and the trails for the areas I ride most often. Once that was done I really haven't used it much.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think the biggest thing is what you need it to do AFTER you come back from a ride.

Devil is in the details.

How you use the data to "mark" where you've been so you can go there again.

Spot GPS does not show you where you are at the trail BUT displays it on a detailed map and with the accress code all can see where you have been.

Contour GPS camcorder will post LAT Long for outdoor videos WHEN uploaded to Contour software.

Then of course the Garmin RINO phone/GPS which tells others users where you are when they key up the mic.

Last is a regular ole dedicated GPS unit.

Garmin and Magellan are the two most common hand held GPS.

Personally I would look at the software to see what you can do with the data and then decide what device will download to the software.

Premium Features