• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Twisted Turbo Pump Gas M1000

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
From what I have seeing adding the extra injector helps delivery more equal fuel to the motor. The reason for this a injector is nothing more then a garden hose with a spray nozzle on it. When you just crack it open you get a nice mist of water when you open it up all the way it has more of a blob effect. So instead of running a garden wide open you run two garden hose’s at half as much and you get a nice mist. This equals out to a nice fuel atomization given you a clean and full burn. Even though you AFR number are ok your fuel is not being burnt all at the same time.

I hope that makes sense.

Mike

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
From what I have seeing adding the extra injector helps delivery more equal fuel to the motor. The reason for this a injector is nothing more then a garden hose with a spray nozzle on it. When you just crack it open you get a nice mist of water when you open it up all the way it has more of a blob effect. So instead of running a garden wide open you run two garden hose’s at half as much and you get a nice mist. This equals out to a nice fuel atomization given you a clean and full burn. Even though you AFR number are ok your fuel is not being burnt all at the same time.

I hope that makes sense.

Mike

BUENO!! That makes perfect sense, thanks Mike!

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
mike is dead on it also takes fuel to make hp the more fuel you can burn with the same air = more power
on the 8s I like to run them at 12.0 to 11.8 above 10#s below you can run 12.8

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
I must say that the more posts I keep reading that Shane replies to in a calm and rational matter in respect to others is definitely winning me over to his kits. Despite how much BS was going on questioning him and his kits he continues to stay calm and answer issues very well. Props to you, looks like I might just be looking to run Twisted in a new M10 build for next season! Only thing holding me back before was the oil injection delete. Wasn't looking forward to premixing every trip and when stranded with no premix.... I tend to run outta gas often... Bad enough when nobody has race gas to give you, having no oil to premix just makes it worse and something else to pack with you on long trips.... Oh well... ;)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
mike is dead on it also takes fuel to make hp the more fuel you can burn with the same air = more power
on the 8s I like to run them at 12.0 to 11.8 above 10#s below you can run 12.8

Thanks, I didn't mean to be rude, I just really want to understand better the how & why to tune what I have & have a better basis for making a decision on what I'm getting next!

Appreciate the info, this is outside my normal comfort level, learning a lot lately.

K
Dec 31, 2007
being able to run higher boost at different elevations came up a few times in this thread so for some of the guys that dont really understand why here is a chart. that shows you loose atmospheric pressure at higher elevations so you can gain it back with higher boost pressure. (boost = psi above atmospheric)

Atmospheric Pressure/Elevation Chart

elev.ft. PSI
0 14.7
1000 14.18
2000 13.67
3000 13.17
4000 12.69
5000 12.22
6000 11.78
7000 11.34
8000 10.91

hope that helps some get the basic idea
happy boosting

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
So you're saying if you don't adjust anything to compensate for the higher elevation, you drop about 3.8 psi for every 1000'?

Dave

being able to run higher boost at different elevations came up a few times in this thread so for some of the guys that dont really understand why here is a chart. that shows you loose atmospheric pressure at higher elevations so you can gain it back with higher boost pressure. (boost = psi above atmospheric)

Atmospheric Pressure/Elevation Chart

elev.ft. PSI
0 14.7
1000 14.18
2000 13.67
3000 13.17
4000 12.69
5000 12.22
6000 11.78
7000 11.34
8000 10.91

hope that helps some get the basic idea
happy boosting

H
Nov 30, 2007
Hardin, MT
Thumbs up to twisted

Hey, I am a skidoo guy that normally says I would quit riding if I had to ride a CAT. But I am impressed with Shain's responses and would have a hard time not believing his claims! The best thing he has is happy customers. Dyno numbers and other claims don't matter on the mountain. I do know if I ever bump my head to hard (coma hard) and go to the dark side it would have a twisted turbo. For now I will just use a pump gas N/A motor and a little old 3"x174 to pick on the CAT bad boost tuners. I say CAT tuners because hopefully soon my other sled will run propane.

O
Dec 1, 2008
Bozeman, MT

I hope that makes sense.

Mike

Injectors funtion very similarly to a solenoid. They are either fully open or fully closed. There are varying types of spray patterns generated by valve types, but injector design and atomization are a subject for another day :D

The injector pulse width determines how long the injector is open and the injector duty cycle is the percentage of time the injector is open during the intake stroke. The amount of time it is open is what determines how much fuel is injected into the motor.

Injectors are rated for a certain flow at a certain pressure, obviously by upping this pressure we are able to move the horsepower ceiling up a little, hence why adjustable fuel pressure regulators are a common installation. When you add boost to the motor, you effectively loose injector pressure because the pump is operating at atmospheric pressure whereas the injectors are working at atmospheric pressure plus boost pressure, thereby dropping your effective operating pressure.

This is why we install a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Depending on the ratio you choose, it will raise the fuel pressure in step with the boost so that the amount of fuel injected remains constant. So long as your fuel system can keep up....

So air/fuel ratios, fuel atomization, and number of injectors....

Peak horsepower and peak torque are achieved with slightly different a/f ratios. A little richer gives you higher peak torque, a little leaner gives you higher peak hp.

The number of injectors changes the duty cycle of the individual injectors but not the amount of fuel injected. Does it matter? Yes. Does it matter in a real world situation? Questionable.

Premium Features