• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tampico 2018/2019

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
We finally have a decent base.
Now we just need more snow.
Parking lots are ice. Roads are ice for a few miles. Moguls are, well, getting bigger every day.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Anyone here when grooming will start? Plenty of snow a week ago and no grooming. Not sure now down low after the heat wave. Sure would be nice he made a valid effort because we all know the groomer will break down the first time out like every year.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Groomer can't go up the trail on the ice. (I can verify it was bad yesterday)
He tried today. Slid off the road and backwards.
It needs to snow or rain so he can have traction to get up the road.

lacyroof

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2010
Yakima,Wa
gate on middle fork tampico

I heard that the gate at the bottom was going to be locked today regardless of conditions. Anyone know if this has happened? Yesterday's report said little to no snow up to Whites ridge and thin to tree phones.

As of jan 1 gate was closed in tampico

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
There is enough snow/ice to make it up the trail, just use caution and watch your temps, stop when needed, but carry speed up the hills so you don't spin out.

I'd also like to share -

The Yakima Ski-Benders 2nd annual Scavenger Hunt based in the "old" Red Saddle Parking Lot on Saturday HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO FREEZING RAIN IN THE PARKING LOT AND LOW ELEVATIONS. Top prize is $250 cash for Adults (16+) and $100 cash for kids 15 and under. Come look for the YAKIMA SKI-BENDERS trailer Saturday morning to get signed up and grab a map and find out how it works! We'll have a good selection of prizes including many sled specific prizes to give away, along with lots of food and drinks for sale.

Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sad..
89e35658ac58da82b7b9f034639fe168.jpg

Tampico

Premium Member
Aug 20, 2008
Tampico, WA
Ahtanum Update + Misc

-As you can see, the Ski-Bender Scavenger Hunt has been cancelled - hopefully this is just postponement until we get more snow. DNR personnel were more than willing to work with us to schedule the event at a later date. The reason for the cancellation was unsafe/ice conditions in the parking lots and access to them. The parking lots themselves are not closed as of this time. Today, there have been a couple of instances where 'bilers in there trucks slid off off of the DNR roads just trying to get into the parking areas. It is not a great situation, especially with snow conditions being somewhat decent at this time in the higher elevations.

The MFork/Jackass gates are shut do to safety/ice concerns on the roads. This situation was not helped by last Sunday having a non-snowmobiler in a light blue Ford Expedition go past the "closed to all vehicles except licensed snowmobiles" sign. The individual made it nearly to Whites Ridge...He then spun out.

There has been no snow down low since last weekend and a bit of freezing rain this morning at the parking areas.

The groomer attempted to run today, but was stopped by DNR personnel for safety reasons - He would not have been able to pull any type of grade to even get past the gates...so this wouldn't have happened anyway.

Hopefully, the forecasts for next week are finally accurate - so that we can finally get some snow down low!

Drive safe!

Tampico

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Not sure how much snow fell sunday morning but we should have 3-6" tomorrow. That should be plenty for the scavenger hunt and the groomer to get up the trail if he hasn't already.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Went up to Tampico for a ride yesterday and had a good time... all the usual high traffic areas were tracked out, had to get into some of our secret spots to find clean snow and had a good time!

The elusive Corduroy has been spotted!!!! The groomer was on the trail and made the loop from middle fork to north fork on Saturday and it was greatly appreciated! Conditions are improving! Parking lot was stuffed full of rigs from what we saw and the tire tracks left behind when we got back.

Last edited:
I
Jul 5, 2001
I get the staying out of marked off areas, we all should obey....

But destroying asphalt with carbides ?? it leaves a couple little lines in it.....
You should see my shop if that's the case....LOL!!!!

Everyone, we all need to obey the boundary markers in and near the parking areas. Thank you.
254009fd5ef251681a15659c42175a4f.jpg

Premium Features