• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Narrow bars

Braap Wraps

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2013
Laramie Wyoming
www.sledthreads.biz
Thinking of putting narrow bars on my wife's gen 4. The reason is it seem like she is jut reaching to far and would like to try a shorts set but I have a few questions.

People that have changed them out what brand and model are have you found that you like?

How narrow is to narrow? I mean some point you would lose most of your leverage.

At what width did the ride become uncomfortably narrow?

Thank you
Kyle

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Great post, I've often wondered how people can blindly pick a handlebar setup without trying it first. I think I could likely benefit from a narrower bar as well but don't know where to begin.

Coblue

Premium Member
May 15, 2010
Before committing to a bar, move your controls inward and try it. You can remove the grips and cut the ends off the bar with a hack saw or pipe cutter. The biggest obstacle I see is moving the grip heaters successfully.

Did this on mountain bikes all the time.

Braap Wraps

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2013
Laramie Wyoming
www.sledthreads.biz
Will have to move the controls in a bit and give it a try. I really don't want to cut the stock bars down. Would rather buy an aftermarket set cut them down.

Removing the grips and hand warms are easy. I would have more of a problem cutting to much off the end of $1XX.00set set of bars.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The Dan Adams Fly bars have cut marks on them so it’s easy to cut correctly and test out dif lengths standing on the sled. The rise is wrong for most Doos tho unless you get a short riser. I used them on a Pro and a Cat, cut an 1 1/8” off the Pro set(steering effort on the Cat was so high I wanted longer bars lol) and it was a pretty dramatic difference. Maybe start at an inch.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If I were going narrower I'd start with a flat aftermarket bar without hooks. No sense getting hooks if you're going to cut them off. You'll still have enough flat area to mount controls after trimming this way too. You might have to go to a taller riser to compensate for the flat bar profile though. Grab the bars where they feel most comfortable, mark, and cut.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
Last three sled I have taken at least an inch off the stock bars, makes reaching the levers/throttle on a side hill easier.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Before committing to a bar, move your controls inward and try it. You can remove the grips and cut the ends off the bar with a hack saw or pipe cutter. The biggest obstacle I see is moving the grip heaters successfully.

Did this on mountain bikes all the time.

So...you are going to cut the hooks off?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
The heaters are easy to move. Heat up the bars (gently) with a small torch, give it a couple minutes to soften the adhesive, and peel them off. Can remove them at least 2 or 3 times with no issues.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
I’ve done this 2 different ways on my 850s. The first time I removed the heaters and cork, cut the bars narrower, installed RSI aftermarket hooks, new cork, old heaters, and long RSI grips.
This year I went with an easier way, and it’s working well. I have a video but can’t figure out how to add it here.
Remove heaters gently with a blow dryer, remove cork, get new long grips like odi, rsi, or Cfr. I went with CFR since they’re very thin and small hands plus thick grips don’t work well. Measure where they’ll end up on the inside, put new cork and your heaters there, install grips, bolt everything back in place. This narrowed my grip a little over an inch on each side and it feels great, no cutting and you still have the hooks. For the hook that now has no cork, I wrapped it with pipe tape so the diameter is the same. The brown mark is where the new grips / heaters go.

92feef452f5ed88c359d575593260797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9f98fcae7fb7cbc042a4e2a9b4964a89.jpg

T
Dec 19, 2016
Mapleton Utah
Sled solutions

I ran into a tree and broke a heating element.
So I took the dive and cut the hooks off my bars, and replaced the both elements with the sled solutions square hi power elements they heat up quick and in excited to try out tomorrow. https://m.imgur.com/gSLZgeu
This is how much I cut off and I'll post a picture tomorrow on how they look.

Premium Features