• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 MC or 2018 MC

L
Nov 25, 2018
So...I've decided to move away from riding street/tracks on my racebike, (KTM RC8) and take up snowmobiling. There is only 1 track in my area, and canyon chasing just isn't my thing.

It seems snowmobiles are the only thing close enough with regards to power-weight ratio that could give me the same adrenaline/feeling of riding a 180hp motorcycle.

I also just moved to Utah and plan to retire here (USAF), so I'll be here in good snow for the long haul!

At first I thought of buying a used 2014ish AC M8 variant, but then started reading about the raving reviews of the 2018 MC.

I don't want to get into the situation of wanting to upgrade in less than 2 years, so I'm leaning towards a new 2018 MC. They have great deals on them right now w/the rebates:

2014 used - $6,000ish
2018 NEW - $10,000ish.

Am I being overambitious w/getting something new and diving into too much power/technology as a beginner.?

Will I be able to pick it up quick since I've been riding quads, motorcycles, dirtbikes, etc for going on 25 years?

Any thoughts, or anyone who has transitioned from liter street bikes to sleds would be greatly appreciated.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
For the price difference get the 18 it's a pretty solid machine so far and there's a lot of stuff you won't have to learn on the older stuff that the new sled doesn't have to deal with. I prefer the 162 for Mountain riding but power to weight sleds is close to the street bike it's more like riding a jet ski without the world being flat

L
Nov 25, 2018
Ya, I love the idea of open terrain that you seem to get w/a sled. The 18 seems to be the strongest machine in it's class for that year, and the ACs seem to be a solid motor.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
do yourself a favor and buy the 18 ! I remember when I started sledding 6 years ago, I bought a used 2008 skidoo xp 800 and within two years I had put a new motor in it and was wanting to upgrade ! So ever since then I have always bought a year old machine or a new holdover from dealer ! So at least u will have warranty with the 18 and its a awesome machine, I just got one this year and its defintley a performer !
The 14 m800 will probably feel like a tank compared to the 18 but I guess u wont know any better if u dont ride the 18 first lol
one thing the 14 does have going for it is the motor is probably the most reliable of all the two strokes out there!
One other sled that is a solid buy would be a 2013-2016 ski doo summit 800 etec!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
2018 for sure if you can swing it. The good news if you do end up with a 2014, and you like to wrench and tinker, is there are a lot of improvements and updates that can be done to it since the basic framework of the sleds are the same. That being said you can quickly tie up the $4k difference in making those updates to try to turn it into a 2018, and you'll still have a sled that's 4 years older and likely need more maintenance.

Note: 153 track lengths are more maneuverable. Especially in more set-up snow. 162 track lengths float through deep, fresh snow better and are more forgiving to slow/stop while you pick your lines. If you are 225-250lb or more I recommend the longer track. When you're that big it's hard to get the shorter track to plane out in the deep.

If you have skied or snow boarded that feeling you get when you set an edge and carve is how I would describe mountain snowmobiling. Except you can do it going uphill, down hill, across the hill, and in the flats and valleys. Plus the excitement of a motor propelling you as you do it. I raced quads for a lot of years and have a dirt bike as well. Snowmobile handling is somewhere between the two.

L
Nov 25, 2018
I see Country Cat has many 2019's on sale including the Alpha 1! :juggle:

Haha, I just did the math for the Alpha 1 and it's not much more monthly. Talk about innovative technology, the Alpha has that in spades.

holy hell I'm in a rabbit hole for sure!

Maybe I'll see if I can rent an alpha for a day to see!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would advise the newer the better as well. Sleds have been moving forward at a pretty good clip recently. The 2014 isn't a bad sled but it needs updates to be a great sled. The 18 has all of those updates and will last you a few years before you will feel the need to upgrade.

I went with a guy yesterday that had been dabbling in sledding for years, always coming out on older borrowed machines. This year he went all in and showed up with a new Doo 850 154. He had MUCH more fun because his sled was no longer the handicap, just his skill set. We took him all over the mtn and his skills are rapidly advancing. The new machines are simply easier to ride.

Another buddy just picked up and Alpha Cat. That thing is like cheating for ease of riding in off trail conditions. It will probably be my next sled. Amazing advancement in sled handling!

I have been a 153-155" track rider forever. I am 225 before gear and with the new 3" paddle tracks I never feel the need for a longer track. I have more buddies coming back to a 153x3 than going long anymore. I even broke trail in 3 feet of bottomless pow yesterday on my short track, no problem.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Definitely go for the 18 or 19.
I have a 14 that i put over $6k in to it.
To make it better than a 2016. It's still not as good as the 18.

I'm not sure that i would recommend the Alpha to a beginner.....
The 18 is better for the trails, primarily for the cooling and track.

The 14 and 18 will benefit greatly from some polaris gripper skis. 16-18 skis straight up suck on the trail and can be real scary in the right snow conditions. The 19 skis are pretty good but i am putting the grippers on mine to compare.

U describe urself as happy racing on a track not chasing canyons.
Maybe a crossover sled would better suit u.
Mountain sleds are not meant for high speed trail runs. A crossover sled will have taller gearing, probably get u up to 100mph while mountain sled are 65-70mph and that is short runs not cruising speed.
A crossover will have a wider ski stance to handle the corners better but still have a decent deep snow track for off trail in the meadows and hillsides.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Buy the new sled, you will thank us later. I can sit here and over the differences between the 14 and 18 but when it comes down to it, the 18's(and 19s) and just such amazing machines there no reason why you shouldnt go that route. Plus theres nothing better than the secure peace of mind of owning a new vehicle

L
Nov 25, 2018
I drive a new Ram 1500 short box (5'7"). Can I get away w/hauling it in the back? I don't want to have to store a trailer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Trail sleds are ~9ft and mountain sleds can be up to ~11ft.
I have seen them in the back of Avalanche's, Toyota's, minivans, on top of Honda's, Cadillac's .......

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
As someone who is currently riding an '09 M8 Sno Pro, I'm going to be looking to update in a few years too... My understanding was that for AC, a lot happened in 2017, not 2018... Is that wrong?

Perhaps we're only talking about 2018 because that's the sled the OP has in consideration... ??

I'd also suggest that even going back to a 2009-10-11 cat would not be bad for a first sled, if one can be found in the right price range. I don't think the 2012 "Pro-Climb" chassis was much of a "marked" improvement over the last of the M-series until they made the 2017 changes... ??

I'd also suggest that as someone new to snowmobiling, the learning curve can be quite steep, as can the associated repair bill if you are pushing things and the sled gets away from you. Starting with a cheaper sled might be a better option... Learning some skills to get a lesser sled around the steep and deep seems like a better first step than going for broke with the baddest sled money can buy, and ending up broke as a result...

Good luck, and welcome to the sport!!

L
Nov 25, 2018
As someone who is currently riding an '09 M8 Sno Pro, I'm going to be looking to update in a few years too... My understanding was that for AC, a lot happened in 2017, not 2018... Is that wrong?

Perhaps we're only talking about 2018 because that's the sled the OP has in consideration... ??

I'd also suggest that even going back to a 2009-10-11 cat would not be bad for a first sled, if one can be found in the right price range. I don't think the 2012 "Pro-Climb" chassis was much of a "marked" improvement over the last of the M-series until they made the 2017 changes... ??

I'd also suggest that as someone new to snowmobiling, the learning curve can be quite steep, as can the associated repair bill if you are pushing things and the sled gets away from you. Starting with a cheaper sled might be a better option... Learning some skills to get a lesser sled around the steep and deep seems like a better first step than going for broke with the baddest sled money can buy, and ending up broke as a result...

Good luck, and welcome to the sport!!

Thanks, I'm excited.

From what I've read the big improvements came in 2018 & 2019 w/the new motor, chassis, and other big steps up. The 2017 is the old zuke motor (tried and trued), but much the same, and vastly different than 2018 models and up.

True about binning a sled, but I've been on enough powersports machines and can ride w/in my limits, so I'm not worried about going too fast and letting it get away from me. I figure w/the break in period programmed I can ease into it. Sure I won't be hucking over jumps or sidehilling the steep ones, but I think I can get the hang of it pretty quickly.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
To be clear, the danger of wrecking a mountain sled isn't going too fast and wrecking like most other powersports; rather, it's getting bucked off on some mild hillside and ghost riding it down into the trees... It happens to the best of us... I would recommend a tether for any new rider on a more expensive sled... :)

I think you'll like snowmobiling. The comparison to riding a jet ski, or snowboarding is pretty good. You can literally go ANYWHERE that the sled will take you, and you'll have a lot of fun doing so... No trails, no worries. I find I'm grinning a LOT when I ride.

If sleds were a little more practical, and perhaps a little more reliable, they'd say the same thing about them that they say about motorcycles... You never see a motorcycle parked outside a therapist's office. :)

Last edited:
L
Nov 25, 2018
Should be picking up my 19 MC this weekend.

Anything in particular I need to make sure the dealer does?

Oil fill
Suspension setup (dropping psi and adjusting for my weight)
Clutch adjustments?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Throttle cable adjustment,
Exhaust valve cable adjustment,
Track tension,
Code in the gauge (can't ride it if they don't)
Error code 1000?,
Correct clutch weights for ur riding elevation.
Adjust the shocks till the sled performs to ur liking.

L
Nov 25, 2018
Throttle cable adjustment,
Exhaust valve cable adjustment,
Track tension,
Code in the gauge (can't ride it if they don't)
Error code 1000?,
Correct clutch weights for ur riding elevation.
Adjust the shocks till the sled performs to ur liking.

Yup, that's what I was looking for. Thx

I'll also have them check to see if there are any outstanding service bulletins or ECU flashes that can/need to be done.

Premium Features