• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What will it take before you change brands

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You guys talk like your married to a brand... Its a freaking sled, if you don't like yours sell it, go buy a different one.

Ride it, if you like it more, keep it, if you like it less, sell it and go back to do.

And FYI, all sleds break, all sleds use gas and oil and blow belts. Ride which one you get comfy with and learn how to upgrade to get past the little issues each sled has.

BRP cares about you just as much as Polaris and Cat do. NONE. They all have their known issues. Learn to handle them and Go out, ride, and have fun. Or sit and cry on the interweb.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No offence bud, but you are treated differently than the average Joe Doo rider. And you came from the biggest POS on the snow, so anything would have been an upgrade. Seriously, Doo has been f-ing us the last couple of years, the only reason I am so happy with my 2018 sleds is because they stuck it in so deep last year, it feels good to have it not jammed in so far. Longtime Doo-er. (14 Etecs since 2013.)

Just so we are clear here.
I walked into a retail dealer, Rexburg Motor Sports, and bought my sleds RETAIL just like every other joe here...

That said, YES, I absolutely have a direct phone line to BRP and I DO call/message them from time to time when things crop up here on the forums, but that doesn't get me any "Special" treatment.

I upgrade and mod my sleds exactly the same as you do.
I buy my gas, oil and belts just like you do.
I buy my accessories and bolt them on just like you do.

Don't confuse "ME" with the guys that work at the Magazine.
We are two completely SEPARATE entities.

They are under strict Non Disclosure Agreements with all the manufacturers and as a result get a ton of inside info, advance knowledge and test products.

I do NOT participate in any of that.
I could, but I have chosen NOT TO so that I can honestly participate here on the forums and interact with everyone as I do.

As for the Yamahas..
With all due respect, I will disagree with you.
While they were WILDLY difference than my 850s, I would not call them a POS. Those sleds do what they do VERY WELL.

When it comes to hard core vertical climbing there is NOTHING on the market that could keep up with my 275HP Turbo Viper. When the snow was good, that sled was a JOY TO RIDE.

But for me, the reality is, most of the time down here in SE Idaho the snow was NOT good enough to make that a "FUN" sled for me at 55 to ride. I found the 850 to be far better suited to the kind of riding I found myself doing on most weekends.

But as I head back up to Pemberton and Revy in a couple weeks for what should be some truly EPIC mountain riding, those Yamahas would be right at home.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Biggest 2019 release Ski-Doo could make is fix the clutching or chassis issues causing hot temps & blown belts. 2018 was better but a fix in 2019 is needed to keep up with cat. This is the first year in a long long time I would put Cat & SkiDoo on top with Polaris in 3rd.

I think that would be universally appreciated by everyone.
Even though there are a TON of riders who have not blown any belts.

D
Mar 13, 2014
:yo::yo::yo::yo:
You guys talk like your married to a brand... Its a freaking sled, if you don't like yours sell it, go buy a different one.

Ride it, if you like it more, keep it, if you like it less, sell it and go back to do.

And FYI, all sleds break, all sleds use gas and oil and blow belts. Ride which one you get comfy with and learn how to upgrade to get past the little issues each sled has.

BRP cares about you just as much as Polaris and Cat do. NONE. They all have their known issues. Learn to handle them and Go out, ride, and have fun. Or sit and cry on the interweb.

Hahahahaha perfect

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I think that would be universally appreciated by everyone.
Even though there are a TON of riders who have not blown any belts.
Probably because the majority of sledders can't keep their sled from getting stuck or out of a tree long enough to blow belts.
Basically anyone I know who can ride hard and for any amount of time has belt issues. Those in BC with lower elevation/higher power and generally deeper snow ALL have substantial belt slaying issues. OEM polaris clutching isn't much better in deep snow and cat seems to be out front right now. Yamaha wont get mentioned since nobody really rides those in an sort of actual terrain.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I'm hoping someday if I keeping watching all these schooled videos that I'll ride good and hard enough to blow a belt... :face-icon-small-con
Maybe its just my experience, but 500 miles from a belt is basically dream land. If its not blown by then its absolutely worn beyond proper funcionality. That is ALL brands. Doo just seems to be the worst right now with OEM sleds.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I'm hoping someday if I keeping watching all these schooled videos that I'll ride good and hard enough to blow a belt... :face-icon-small-con

I only break them in my dreams.

It is like this with everything...Truck transmissions boat drives etc. Had a buddy always blowing up drives than I ride with him one day and I watch him slam the stick about 20 times on one little ride. I have never done it once in 300 hours.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Maybe its just my experience, but 500 miles from a belt is basically dream land. If its not blown by then its absolutely worn beyond proper funcionality. That is ALL brands. Doo just seems to be the worst right now with OEM sleds.

I guess I'm different then everyone because I think 500 miles is acceptable... I've only replaced 2 belts and I have about 1500 miles on my 850's

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
What will it take for people to stop post stupid chit on these forum's

Or better yet what will it take for unhappy people to just stop snowmobiling because everything sucks and move on to a different hobby?:face-icon-small-dis

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Show me a sled that is

-as fun as the 850

-powerful as the 850

-4 year warranty

-great dealer in my area

-as easy to handle as the 850

-holds its value like the 850

... then I will consider switching...

Ace

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Probably because the majority of sledders can't keep their sled from getting stuck or out of a tree long enough to blow belts.
Basically anyone I know who can ride hard and for any amount of time has belt issues. Those in BC with lower elevation/higher power and generally deeper snow ALL have substantial belt slaying issues. OEM polaris clutching isn't much better in deep snow and cat seems to be out front right now. Yamaha wont get mentioned since nobody really rides those in an sort of actual terrain.

Well.
Heading up there for a full week of riding.
If you're right, then I should blow belts on both of the 850s I am taking along for the very first time.

Premium Features