• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brace kits still needed :(

royd

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
I'm going to loosen my limiter strap a hole or two to decrease ski pressure somewhat. At least for a couple more weeks until the snow gets deeper.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
8" skis to keep the frond end from submarining / looking for landmines is a good start -- works for me.

yep i agree 100%..i do not like the keel on the g4 skis, its just to big and sticks out like a sore thumb. Going to put the slydogs on that i had on my xm, best ski ive used in powder. Keep the front end up and doesnt have a keel that protrudes to catch landmines

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
I say disconnect and remove the sway bar. That is adding a shot to the e mod that is not needed. I know its not ideal for guys with stock shocks but after shattering mine im going to do everything to help minimize the chances of doing it again. Hope the kits to beef up help. Gripnrip is saying soon.

all this talk about it screwing up how the sled handles....
i don't care about the physics, geometry, whatever....
mine is removed (stock shocks) rides great and sidehill's
like nothing i have ever ridden. i don't give two ****s about trail manners, its not a trail sled.
just my 2 cents

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
yep i agree 100%..i do not like the keel on the g4 skis, its just to big and sticks out like a sore thumb. Going to put the slydogs on that i had on my xm, best ski ive used in powder. Keep the front end up and doesnt have a keel that protrudes to catch landmines

i liked the slydogs, but too soft imo. had them fold over doing down hill carves and would throw me over the bars.
nice ski's, just too soft. the stock keels are too big, i think i might go with some grippers

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I would replace the carbides with plain wear bars to start with. Or just dump the wear bar completely for the time being?

R
Sep 20, 2008
Colorado
replace shocks? SP package

I smashed the front end to the point of needing left and right members, S module and all upper and lower a arms. The dealer did the work and I trust them completely. The shocks were not replaced. Has anybody else replaced the shocks or seen them survive the wreck? It seems hard to believe they would be alright after all that...

By the way, it's so heartbreaking to as I had such a good sled that never had belt problems, heat buildup problems or anything that other people were having issues with. It's going to be so disappointing if that ever changes... Such a fun ride!

rh damage.jpg lh damage.jpg

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
So as a guy that switched to Doo for the last year of the XM, I am really happy with the 2016 T3. I was going to check an 850 this spring. However.....this thread is concerning. Does anyone know what the real problem is/was? I ran Pro's before and we all know the glue problem ( a-arms or drive, you pick) or the piston problem or the ring problem or cylinder problem... but they were diagnosed and WE knew the problem. Is this a problem with design or just the metal not being the composition to hold up to a "pop"?

Had an 01' 800 Summit with problems that Doo rep awknowledged and then left me high and dry with. Hope they don't Doo that to all the 850 owners and they get it figured out and rectified.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have the worst luck with a arms so what is the main conclusion to fix this besides staying in the groomed trail

The XM wasn't strong either. Most that are ridden hard have bent S-mods. Bracing plus the alt impact arms, hardwelds no carbides, have helped me a lot. RS S-mod is slightly stronger too. The rod end on the lower arm snaps with a decent hit, saving chassis. No guarantees but better than those stupid strong stock arms with Honda Civic sized ball joints. I use the cheapest Chinese rod ends on ebay to make sure they snap on a moderate ski hit.

If I were on a G4, once bracing and these arms are available that would be my route without a second thought. http://www.alternativeimpact.com/2017-Ski-Doo-Gen-4-345-to-3725-Adjustable-Stance-2105526.htm

That said, the S-mod on the G4 may simply be too brittle to not crack, braced or not. Wish you all luck on these first year chassis.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'm really surprised that no one at SkiDoo Corporate said to the G4's chief engineer "You really think that this aluminum eggshell with the A-arm and sway bar mounts will survive anything but as an unridable display sled? Even the Polaris ones we bought to get ideas from, have gussets and reinforcements everywhere that there is a stress vector."

I feel for you guys! It's is a lot easier to upgrade parts than re-invent a poorly conceived chassis.

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
I smashed the front end to the point of needing left and right members, S module and all upper and lower a arms. The dealer did the work and I trust them completely. The shocks were not replaced. Has anybody else replaced the shocks or seen them survive the wreck? It seems hard to believe they would be alright after all that...

By the way, it's so heartbreaking to as I had such a good sled that never had belt problems, heat buildup problems or anything that other people were having issues with. It's going to be so disappointing if that ever changes... Such a fun ride!
Are we thinking that this /these cracks are originating from the weakness around the sway bar? thinking about unhooking mine for now!:face-icon-small-dis

B
Feb 18, 2009
I'm really surprised that no one at SkiDoo Corporate said to the G4's chief engineer "You really think that this aluminum eggshell with the A-arm and sway bar mounts will survive anything but as an unridable display sled? Even the Polaris ones we bought to get ideas from, have gussets and reinforcements everywhere that there is a stress vector."

I feel for you guys! It's is a lot easier to upgrade parts than re-invent a poorly conceived chassis.

I think saying poorly conceived chassis is excessive. It's just the bulkhead that needs to be reinforced. Give it 5 more pounds of metal in the right places and it will be good to go!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I think saying poorly conceived chassis is excessive. It's just the bulkhead that needs to be reinforced. Give it 5 more pounds of metal in the right places and it will be good to go!

The "Bulkhead" is the "Foundation" the entire chassis is built / based off of. So hence "Ill Conceived Chassis" stands. IMO

There is no way they did adequate R&D when the sway bar binds and Torques the Bulkhead with enough stress to explode (within it's range of travel). Additionally; There is no way they did any accurate FEA of the chassis, when it disintegrates even without hitting anything solid (a glancing blow to one ski should not total a sled, period / regardless). Bottoming one shock out should not end in a totaled sled either. Because that typically happens a dozen times a day in the mountains (sidehilling, jumping, off camber approaches and departures).

They could have made it bullet proof without any additional weight penalty if they had really looked at the real / actual stress forces and distributed those forces correctly thru out the castings. And of course eliminate the binding and torquing as the suspension travels.

Enjoy your sleds!

Premium Features