• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brace kits still needed :(

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Was it a direct hit on the body, or was the hit on the ski?

...either way that blows! Hope the fix is fast and cheap! Did you buy from Dog House?

Ace

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Miami FL Sunshine and Ladies
It would add a couple pounds to make the A arms the weak point, but i think it easier to replace A arm than a Nun or what ever they called these days.
Reinfororcing the A arm mount points+ bulkhead sidewalls+ tunel/bulkhead overlap location and make A arms the weak point. Polaris is thinking right but they need more bracing in a few spots to keep the sleds from getting totaled.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
The impact was not big enough to take the lower a-arm but the bulkhead did? This is not good. Understandably if the rock hit the spindle, but the ski? No way!

For the damage in the bulkhead it seems like the forward momentum on the upper a-arm (as the lower a-arm are pushed back) is to much for the back a-arm mount. The design look to be stronger for inwards hit (off course). But this is not good at all.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
It would add a couple pounds to make the A arms the weak point, but i think it easier to replace A arm than a Nun or what ever they called these days.
Reinfororcing the A arm mount points+ bulkhead sidewalls+ tunel/bulkhead overlap location and make A arms the weak point. Polaris is thinking right but they need more bracing in a few spots to keep the sleds from getting totaled.

Agreed. Polaris just made them too soft and they bend to easily. Doo went the other way and made the A-arms too sturdy. Next year maybe BOTH manufacturers will get it figured out. Definitely would rather have the arms bend than take out the bulkhead.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Is the lower one really a crack, or just a casting flaw/seam? Where it broke, what does that bolt go to? Looks to be behind the A-arm mount point? Thanks Mike

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Is the lower one really a crack, or just a casting flaw/seam? Where it broke, what does that bolt go to? Looks to be behind the A-arm mount point? Both Polaris and Doo need to just make better more robust and radiused mounting flanges in the castings. That is the only bummer about castings! Mike

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
The impact was not big enough to take the lower a-arm but the bulkhead did? This is not good. Understandably if the rock hit the spindle, but the ski? No way!

For the damage in the bulkhead it seems like the forward momentum on the upper a-arm (as the lower a-arm are pushed back) is to much for the back a-arm mount. The design look to be stronger for inwards hit (off course). But this is not good at all.

Actually it can hit the ski and act just like it hit the spindle. It does suck but like someone already said you hit something at 20 mph, that is fast, that speed can total a car, you can just bend an a-arm with a high speed hit if you hit it right and you can destroy a bulk head at a much slower speed if you hit it right. Sorry to hear but as the OP said it is his fault, it sucks but those are the early season hits you can do when you get sucked into thinking its good as you have not hit anything yet. The a-arm are weaker this year if you look at the crumple zone compared to the xm, but if you hit it in the sweet spot, it can do exactly what happened. I hit a rock the other day too for the same reason i mention above, I hit it about the same speed, no damage cause I was lucky and hit the rock in a place where it was like a ramp, felt it pretty good and was happy there was nothing, but it is the luck of the draw when you hit anything. If you have any engineering buddies just ask them about the different way things work on different hits....hope you get it fixed up quick and are back out rippin!

T
Dec 22, 2008
Wenatchee,WA
Is the lower one really a crack, or just a casting flaw/seam? Where it broke, what does that bolt go to? Looks to be behind the A-arm mount point? Both Polaris and Doo need to just make better more robust and radiused mounting flanges in the castings. That is the only bummer about castings! Mike

Yea it's a crack it's hard to see with the flash from the photo it's easy to see in person though. If you zoom in you can see the crack where the two bulkhead pieces meet.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i've said it before no sled is rock proof , especially when you are side hilling and when it takes a hit on the ski that is planted in the snow .something has got to give . it would be great if the engineers could find the perfect balance point of arm strength and bulkhead durability. i hope you get it fixed fast but i wouldn't be surprised if it's not totaled.

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Man that sucks...you can look at the ski and know it took one hell of a hit!
Hope the insurance man does you right!

Ace

Premium Features