• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The power delivery of the 850 is addictive and will make most riders happy. Handling is great as well there is nothing holding anyone back from beating your buddy on whatever he or she rides . From her on in it is mostly Rider if anyone washes out a line or does not make the hill that an other rider did make --look in the mirror its not the sled.

Now just one thing to be aware of is poor set up--I have seen a few good sleds with very poor set up making them look bad. Just because you always had to do this or that to another model sled in the past does not automatically make it work on these new mountain sleds.:face-icon-small-win

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
We finally got all the new 2 strokes out together in about 3 ft of fluff and here's my take on it. All three were 17s 165 and broke in

Power
850 etec
Mtn cat
Polaris

Climbing
Mtn cat and axys very close
850 etec comes out of hole hard but trenches more than the others.

Handling
Mtn cat
Axys

All great sleds can't go wrong with any of them
I am really glad I got to try them all because I am in the market for a lightweight sled. I to have been trying to justify riding boosted yamahas and these news sleds are making it hard to do that.

What would you buy right now if you had too? Just sold my axys turbo on 850 right now looking at 2017 prolite possibly just worried I'll hate it bc I never been on cat

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
What would you buy right now if you had too? Just sold my axys turbo on 850 right now looking at 2017 prolite possibly just worried I'll hate it bc I never been on cat

Just curious what your thoughts are on the axys vs the 850. Which one was funner to ride? Did you feel like the axys was quicker turning and maneuvering?

A
Jan 28, 2010
Right now today I'd buy the cat. I like how the polaris handles over the doo I like the rigid chassis, maybe more time on motion would change my opinion. If polaris reliability was on par with cat it would be a tough decision
/

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just curious what your thoughts are on the axys vs the 850. Which one was funner to ride? Did you feel like the axys was quicker turning and maneuvering?

I will know by the end of this week or possibly sooner. All my buddies are trying to act responsible and work this week.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Rode my turbo axys and my wife's 850 for 2 days in Cooke. Over the hood powder. The axys is a 155 and the 850 is a 165. Obviously the turbo is more fun and the 850 doesn't hold a candle to it. If I were comparing stock to stock it would be a tough choice. I don't believe a stock axys would touch a 850. I don't think an axys is quicker handling. I think the axys, in certain situations on a steep sidehill, works better but comes down to rider preference. The one thing I know for sure is the 850 is so much better than an xm but I wouldn't give up my boosted axys.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Rode my turbo axys and my wife's 850 for 2 days in Cooke. Over the hood powder. The axys is a 155 and the 850 is a 165. Obviously the turbo is more fun and the 850 doesn't hold a candle to it. If I were comparing stock to stock it would be a tough choice. I don't believe a stock axys would touch a 850. I don't think an axys is quicker handling. I think the axys, in certain situations on a steep sidehill, works better but comes down to rider preference. The one thing I know for sure is the 850 is so much better than an xm but I wouldn't give up my boosted axys.
Next step is to slap a TURBO on that 850 !

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Rode the t-axys and 850 on the same day and to my surprise, I liked the 850 better. It was really weird and unforgiving snow. It would suck you in an you would have to can on it and then it would climb up hill. Then you were struggling to get the front end down before you hit a tree or stuck. I guess I got tired fast and the 850 was still fairly effortless.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
We finally got all the new 2 strokes out together in about 3 ft of fluff and here's my take on it. All three were 17s 165 and broke in

Power
850 etec
Mtn cat
Polaris

Climbing
Mtn cat and axys very close
850 etec comes out of hole hard but trenches more than the others.

Handling
Mtn cat
Axys

All great sleds can't go wrong with any of them
I am really glad I got to try them all because I am in the market for a lightweight sled. I to have been trying to justify riding boosted yamahas and these news sleds are making it hard to do that.

We are finding that the 155, 163 and 174 AXYS are very different machines, let alone 2.6" or 3" tracks. Some guys love one model and hate the others. No good just saying you tested against the AXYS as they are all so very different. Sure power is similar but handling, gearing, trenching, popping up on the snow, these are where there are huge discrepancies. Even the weight between these models can be substantial, especially with electric starter.

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
I am officially joining the club of lovers of the 850. Got a good day on mine today and absolutely loved it. Had a 2012 xp with t-motion along with a 15 154, 15 163, and 2012 153 arctic cat. It's just crazy the difference in my wife's 15 to this 17. did not hit anything though. I am impressed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am officially joining the club of lovers of the 850. Got a good day on mine today and absolutely loved it. Had a 2012 xp with t-motion along with a 15 154, 15 163, and 2012 153 arctic cat. It's just crazy the difference in my wife's 15 to this 17. did not hit anything though. I am impressed.

its really pretty dang easy to fall in love with this sled isn't it.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Since we are somewhat on the topic. I was riding a 165 G4 and took a AXYS silber turbo 163 for a spin. The very very first thing I noticed is how easy the steering is on the G4. Believe it or not even in knee deep powder you can notice a difference. You're probably thinking why are you actually steering the sled to turn and not just leaning well I think you actually steer the bars out there more than you think.

Coming off the G4 I almost felt out of control on the AXYS cause I didn't have any control over the bars. I kind of wish someone would pay attention to this next time they have the chance because if I would've rode the AXYS all day I would've been sore in comparison.

This is definitely not a selling point or a mind changing factor but the G4 is just so easy in everything it is amazing.

The AXYS is hard to initiate when leaning it over but very easy to keep it there. It has a point where once you over come it, its easy, before that , hard. However the G4 was easy to initiate, and keep there. It is just SOOOOOOOO easy all around! The xm was easy to get there but didn't stay there like the G4 and AXYS DOOOO

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
That is the T motion for you easy turn in. The wider boards also give more leverage on the Doo.The polaris ski has a bit more floatation that increases initial turn in effort a bit.
One of my buddies has a 155 Axys and I have the 154 G4 so apples and apples. I like the handling on the DOO he prefers the handling on the Axys but we both prefer the engine on the DOO. I had to do a bit of clutching to drop my rpm and drop it of for the update on the temp sensor.
He had his one in 2 times for rough idling and stalling and a bad boog when snapping the throttle in deep pow.
Neither one of us has busted anything or blown a belt.
Reading all this here it is hard to believe that we can go ride together and get along even though we both ride different sleds.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ride a pro, Axys and gen 4 all in the same day. I gave my buddy my turbo axys and took his supercharged pro. First I asked him how to start it since mine is electric start. Then I turned the bars and just about cried. The axys steers twice as easy as a pro. That was the first thing he said. Then when you ride the 850, it steers twice as easy as the axys. As person steers the sled, all day long, in one way or another. When you have grumpy Concrete shoulders it makes a huge difference.
You are also right on on the xm easy to lay over but harder to keep there. Especially in rutted or rough terrain. I keep waiting for it to show through, on the 850, since it still has the t- motion that I equate it to but I haven't seen it. I guess I'll wait to fully make up my mind when I ride it in rougher, harder snow. The other thing I'm waiting to see is if it has the jerky or twitchy handlebars, that the xm has, in harder snow.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
One thing I've decided on the 850. I like the swaybar hooked up WAY better than unhooked. And it's even more noticeable in the harder snow. With it unhooked it felt a lot like the xm, twitchy and unpredictable and it washes out a lot. Hooked it back up and bam, back to super predictable and easy to ride even in rutted out firm snow.

D
Sep 10, 2014
One thing I've decided on the 850. I like the swaybar hooked up WAY better than unhooked. And it's even more noticeable in the harder snow. With it unhooked it felt a lot like the xm, twitchy and unpredictable and it washes out a lot. Hooked it back up and bam, back to super predictable and easy to ride even in rutted out firm snow.

I actually found the opposite.
I have installed the Rasmussen fox/rcs coilover package on my 165 and find it more predictable and even easier to lay over without the swaybar.
The sled just have a nicer sweetspot whit that combination. With the same shock setup and swaybar i found the front end to be nagging on the hill and sometimes wanted to fall back down. But now im actually super happy with the setup.
I also have the new Conquer 280 track and t-motion limiters installed. Waiting for a no-motion setup.

I also have a 155 axys. And YES, the 850 have way easier steering. I had a ride 2 days ago on the axys, and i almost thought there was something wrong with the steering because it felt so heavy in comparison. And i have to say i missed the trottle response of the 850.

When i bought the 850 i was timid that i wouldn't like it because i liked my axys so much.

But after 4-5 days on the new chassis i must say i absolutely like this sled alot!
It is just super easy to ride, the throttle response is immediate, way easier steering. It side hills good, but it still needs narrow runningboards.
That is my biggest dislike about the gen 4. All i do is technical riding and i would prefer alot narrower boards! 6" is plenty!

All i can say is, it's just a super easy sled to ride and i actually prefer the 850 over the axys because of it.
And all i do is technical riding!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I should mention mine has stock shocks, buuuut a friend of mine has exit shocks and he liked it better with the swaybar hooked up as well so it's all just what feels good to you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Back on my Summit 850 X today after missing a few weeks for repairs.

The LOVE IS STILL STRONG!!

This sled just plain ROCKS.

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Dworek, it makes sense to me that with that shock package it will be equivalent to having stock shocks with the sway bar link connected. Bret Rasmussen's whole gig behind that package is that ONE ski can manage the weight of the whole sled. I see yours and rulonjj preferences as nearly equivalent in the way the sled will feel. When I get my own 850 I plan to install that shock and spring package as well. For technical riding it flat out makes sense and Bret knows what he is talking about. But this shows me that the stock setup w/sway bar can act similarly.

Premium Features