• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 ride report....few issues!!

R
Mar 1, 2016
I would not plug up the foot well with even a screen, no snow will get into and on the clutches. far too hot for that, If you noticed when you take the clutch cover off there is a small bit of foam on the bottom facing the left footwell, cut that section completely out. it will allow more evacuated belt dust and heat and yes it is easy to ride these machines and never let them cool down but if you do so you will go through belts. Same with t3 you could just ride it hard for 4 hours but if you do it wont cool down and your just pre wearing the belt life. The clutch cover in some of our test sleds went right to the floor so it works but the cvt cover does evacuate the heat super well it is just with that it going to the floor or now half that distance it holds more heat. and yes get all the felt and foam out for those who have not, it will not void your warranty and it is just for sound...shows you how quiet they have to be and how much loader they are with a can, and why we are losing riding areas...but that is another can of worms.

Do you recommend removing the foam inside the cvt cover completely? And what about the foam behind the secondary clutch blocking the air Box?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
that looks slick, you could really get an idea of clutching/venting/blowhole to see what actually works
I hope to have one soon and will do a full Install and Review on the product.
While this device isn't cheap, considering the cost of belts, it MIGHT be a reasonable investment over time if you like to run LONG and HARD.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Naming NO names.

I have been told two things about my new 850..

#1.
Proper Belt Break-In "IS" a BIG DEAL on this sled.
Failure to "season" the belt will result in a high level of "Infant Mortality"

#2.
1,500 miles is GOOD belt life on the 850.

I have NO personal first hand experience.
Our first ride on the 3 new sleds will be FRIDAY!:face-icon-small-hap

1500 miles out of these, I'm going to say doubtful.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Well I have rode my sled 3 days now, first day was 25 mile road ride just to feel her out some. Then off to revy in 2-3ft of fresh dry pow....first day riding it pretty hard and man its not hard to get used to...came off a 174T3 and this sled is an animal. Near the end of the day I blew a belt hard though...not to happy about that as in the last 3 years and 6800kms I haven't had any belt issues at all...and my riding place and style hasn't changed at all. Then my check engine light also came on...gotta see what the code is there...it would go away for 20 min with every re start but eventually came back ever time. Day two I put a good broke in 391 one on and rode a touch less aggressive and cooled down a lot more and opened the side panel lots....no issues yesterday...but tons of belt dust...like a lot! So Im a touch worried here skidoo...anyone else have anything else to add? lets keep this thread alive with ride ability updates....

I was starting to wonder about belts becoming a issue. After last Saturday with not much snow, so we could not ride very aggressive and still had 180 degrees on the Primary. A 2016 cat was along as well, he had 120 degrees. Those reading were from my FLIR temp gun. Did not think to take a couple pictures from the temp gun, get em off the memory card and have them ready to post up.

"If" the clutch cover/cooler works, Skidoo needs to do a lot more work on temperature. Because "if" it is working those temps are BAD, for a working cooling device.

Just based off my 2 rides on 6-8" of snow the clutch should not be that hot. Hot enough to instantly boil snow. Which is how the TRA was, the Pdrive/cover is supposed to be 70 degrees cooler according to Skidoo.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I think it would be a lot of help if someone with a sled posted videos of the foam that maybe should be removed since its sole purpose is only for sound deadening. I also wouldn't plug any spaces up, what if that space is the hole that evacuates heat?

K
Sep 4, 2012
Tri-Cities, WA
I think it would be a lot of help if someone with a sled posted videos of the foam that maybe should be removed since its sole purpose is only for sound deadening. I also wouldn't plug any spaces up, what if that space is the hole that evacuates heat?

This... Dave, maybe a video on this in the near future please? Or would that sort of "recommendation" video get you in trouble with ski doo?

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
first ride on my 154 3" yesterday in similar snow with no issues. Checked the sled over when I got home and other than typical first ride wear (belt adjustment, track etc.) there was no belt dust. The only issue I have run into is the rear flap when I'm unloading the sled either on snow or at home, the snow flap always ends up under the track at the bottom of the ramp. I was running at 7200 ft. with the RPMs running between 7800-7900. I was very impressed with the sled, just need to get used to no toe holds, I didn't realize how much I use them. Hope you get the issue figured out.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
first ride on my 154 3" yesterday in similar snow with no issues. Checked the sled over when I got home and other than typical first ride wear (belt adjustment, track etc.) there was no belt dust. The only issue I have run into is the rear flap when I'm unloading the sled either on snow or at home, the snow flap always ends up under the track at the bottom of the ramp. I was running at 7200 ft. with the RPMs running between 7800-7900. I was very impressed with the sled, just need to get used to no toe holds, I didn't realize how much I use them. Hope you get the issue figured out.

Did you take any foam or felt out of clutch cover and etc. what did you have clickers set at?

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I was starting to wonder about belts becoming a issue. After last Saturday with not much snow, so we could not ride very aggressive and still had 180 degrees on the Primary. A 2016 cat was along as well, he had 120 degrees. Those reading were from my FLIR temp gun. Did not think to take a couple pictures from the temp gun, get em off the memory card and have them ready to post up.

"If" the clutch cover/cooler works, Skidoo needs to do a lot more work on temperature. Because "if" it is working those temps are BAD, for a working cooling device.

Just based off my 2 rides on 6-8" of snow the clutch should not be that hot. Hot enough to instantly boil snow. Which is how the TRA was, the Pdrive/cover is supposed to be 70 degrees cooler according to Skidoo.

sleds without that funky cover seem to work just fine, i dont believe for one second that it keeps belts/clutchs "cooler". Just for sound again. only downfall with ditching it, is it holds the spare belt

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
For the guys coming of the Yamaha's it is a change on how to deal with belts for sure. These belts stretch all day long.
On the first couple rides you will have to adjust the secondary for belt deflection at least twice. After I had 200 miles on mine the adjustment stayed put and I ran the belt for the rest of the season around 1000 miles in total before I replaced it with a new one. But these first 200 miles are critical on them belts. They are super soft and not very forgiving of heat. The pre screens are way to fine and do not allow nearly enough airflow I went to a diamond s hood and the hole temp issue at wide open throttle in deep snow disappeared. Before that I took the pre filter of the upper hole just for some airflow.
Not sure on the new sled just yet not enough snow for a good run.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
You think that is overly optimistic??

I NEVER changed a belt in 5 years on my boosted Nytros.
Damn things just never ate belts...

I guess depends on how you ride them.

Personally I only get 300-400 before it is worn out. Not exploded but worn out. This was on all my 800 Doos and 800 PROs.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

Please somebody pleeeease tell me how a 280hp Yamaha with monster torque will never eat a $60 belt on a 30 year old clutch design and these companies with all the latest tech can't keep a $200 belt on a 130hp snowmobile:face-icon-small-dis

think I put maybe 2 belts on my old Nytro at 17psi

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership

LOL this is a gooder...I rode MCX nytros for 4 seasons also...and they would grenade when they blew...haven't you ever rode in waist deep snow for days on end?? guess not....:face-icon-small-dis

G
Dec 1, 2007
Minnesota
Anyone answer please.

Primary clutching:
What elevations are you riding? What rpm's?
What clicker are you on?
What bolt are you using? short, med, long.
Have you put them on the scale yet and weighed them?
Need info please, anyone?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
It seems that there is a bit of a problem with this new clutch making heat. It's not the only one I've heard of getting hot but I am wondering if they sealed the engine compartment off so completely that it's holding all the heat in. I'll be installing a blowhole on mine when they become available.

Premium Features