• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running Boards

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Weight ..... LMAO, I have been riding some of the steepest terrain on the planet for over 30 years in willow creek, Indian creek and the snake river drainage in western Wyoming ... Back in the day all the board were very narrow and we complained about needing better footing for the technical terrain the OEM delivered wider board with surgical sharp grates for better footing these wider running boards were ideal in the steep & deep .... Now the new breed of riders like narrow boards LOL .... I honestly see no benefit to having narrow boards in the steep in deep where good footing is a must.

If you don't think the hillclimb is technical you are simply misinformed.

Dpg don't you think wyo boy is so all about his boards hanging up because his track is so short?

I have never in my life ever heard of running boards being an issue other than back in the day when running boards were 2 narrow. Like I already said wider running boards for us aggressive mountain riders who don't sit in the seat much are a must and allow for better footing, leverage and control of our sleds.

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Weight ..... LMAO, I have been riding some of the steepest terrain on the planet for over 30 years in willow creek, Indian creek and the snake river drainage in western Wyoming ... Back in the day all the board were very narrow and we complained about needing better footing for the technical terrain the OEM delivered wider board with surgical sharp grates for better footing these wider running boards were ideal in the steep & deep .... Now the new breed of riders like narrow boards LOL .... I honestly see no benefit to having narrow boards in the steep in deep where good footing is a must.

If you don't think the hillclimb is technical you are simply misinformed.

DPG

I never said hill climb races aren't technical. They are but it's different than out in the trees. You don't do much super steep sidehilling where your boards will hang up in a rmsha race. If you do it's not very far. From my experience the Xm boards are to wide in spring snow. They hang up and lift the track out of the snow and then it will wash out. Ya you can fight it and make it not wash out but why struggle????? Why not make it easier?? Simple fix is lift and narrow the boards.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I never said hill climb races aren't technical. They are but it's different than out in the trees. You don't do much super steep sidehilling where your boards will hang up in a rmsha race. If you do it's not very far. From my experience the Xm boards are to wide in spring snow. They hang up and lift the track out of the snow and then it will wash out. Ya you can fight it and make it not wash out but why struggle????? Why not make it easier?? Simple fix is lift and narrow the boards.

Dude I suggest you check the sag of your rear skid. Seriously if your running boards are truly causing your track to break traction on hard pack as you claim your rear suspension is sagging way to much ... How much sag does your sled have ?

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Dude I suggest you check the sag of your rear skid. Seriously if your running boards are truly causing your track to break traction on hard pack as you claim your rear suspension is sagging way to much ... How much sag does your sled have ?

DPG

It's got the regular skidoo sag. But I'm not the only one that notices it. And it's not just my sled.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wow, i am really dumbfounded with some of the statements on here.
Simple physics guys, hard to argue if u have any sense at all.

GS6

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
I am dumbfounded by the fact that we are on the second page of this thread and there are still no comparative pictures. I am also dumbfounded by the fact that each and every thread here on the SnoWest forums gets derailed by certain individuals. In addition, I am dumbfounded regarding this sport and brand loyalty, which I will never understand. I think I will apply for a government grant to do a study on brand loyalty and how it relates to a lack of logical process in thinking. I am sure I could get a couple million for that, don't you think?? :face-icon-small-ton

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I am dumbfounded by the fact that we are on the second page of this thread and there are still no comparative pictures. I am also dumbfounded by the fact that each and every thread here on the SnoWest forums gets derailed by certain individuals. In addition, I am dumbfounded regarding this sport and brand loyalty, which I will never understand. I think I will apply for a government grant to do a study on brand loyalty and how it relates to a lack of logical process in thinking. I am sure I could get a couple million for that, don't you think?? :face-icon-small-ton

I'm dumbfounded why anyone would milk the government out of a million bucks to do a meaningless study.

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Anyone have any close up pictures of the SP and the X running boards? I am going to change out the shocks anyway so I am trying to decide if the X is really worth the extra $$.

Back on track here. I looked at the sp vs the X running boards. Sorry I didn't get any pics but I think the X isn't worth the extra money if you're going to trade shocks anyway. I snowchecked the X because I'm going to use the stock shocks and because I wanted the higher, more open boards.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I snow checked the X 165 for the yellow rails and yellow spindles. I snow checked a 154 SP so it won't be the same as my X and that white will look like crap after a few rides. I'm cutting the boards off both and upgrading the skid and shocks on both. And it's not that I am brand loyal to Ski Doo. I think the sleds look cooler than the other brands and I have yet to ride a Ski Doo that I think is going to handicap me vs any of the other brands. I have ridden every sled there is that isn't a 4 stroke.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I have never in my life ever heard of running boards being an issue other than back in the day when running boards were 2 narrow. Like I already said wider running boards for us aggressive mountain riders who don't sit in the seat much are a must and allow for better footing, leverage and control of our sleds.

DPG

And here kids we have a mountain dislexic, he thinks wider boards give you leverage for riding. Ha ha ha ha.

Do you live anywhere close to me, I gotta see this logic. I'm thinking it must be colorado because your you gotta be high.

All along I thought using technique, and setup was what is mountain riders used to control the sled.

You should really inform burandt and rasmussen, they got it all wrong and their making a killing teaching everyone narrow is better. You need to sit that down quick!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
And here kids we have a mountain dislexic, he thinks wider boards give you leverage for riding. Ha ha ha ha.

Do you live anywhere close to me, I gotta see this logic. I'm thinking it must be colorado because your you gotta be high.

All along I thought using technique, and setup was what is mountain riders used to control the sled.

You should really inform burandt and rasmussen, they got it all wrong and their making a killing teaching everyone narrow is better. You need to sit that down quick!

You obviously never take your feet out of the foot wells to know how your running boards and foot placement can leverage a sled ... Bring your smack to western Wyoming along with a change of diapers.

DPG

Premium Features