• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Ski-Doo Summit speculation thread.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Revolutionary Sparky 174 Summit $6999.00 snowcheck only, includes free module helmet, bumble bee jacket & 1 case of bombardier gold synthetic oil.

Doo and Snowest are working close on getting the glossy photos ready for a marketing blitz.

DPG

All kidding aside.
If Doo was to release a SPARK equivilent in the Snowmobile world, they might have a huge hit on their hands.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy a brand new CHEAP FUN sled for new riders or people that only ride once in a while.

The SPARK has been a big hit in the PWC market.

spark_purchase.jpg

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Idont know that the spark idea for the mountain segment would be a hit. But refining the chassis with the t3 and adding a big bore with narrower plastics would be fun?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Spummit would be awesome, I would buy one for my wife who rides a handful of times a year, just to keep her off my sleds.
One of the Spark's concept was to simplify things, which the Doos need badly. There is no reason for all the clutter and mess under the hood. All the brackets, needless parts, etc. I read somewhere that at an I500?, it took an hour for factory techs to swap a Doo track in the middle of the race. We agreed here that three guys with the tools on hand could swap a Poo track in 10 minutes, easy.
Good things are coming.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It has nothing to do with years or cycles, it has to do with sales and economy and competition. Poo raised the game with the Axys (even though engines are dropping like flies already), if Doo doesn't up the chassis they will not sell any 2017 sleds. It will be narrower. They don't need to do a thing to the engine, it still kills the Axys sleds on long pulls.

"Big changes in the mountain segment, nothing for the flatlanders."
Quote from a Doo rep.

Dropping like flies?
Do tell.
First i have heard.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
All kidding aside.
If Doo was to release a SPARK equivilent in the Snowmobile world, they might have a huge hit on their hands.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy a brand new CHEAP FUN sled for new riders or people that only ride once in a while.

spark_purchase.jpg

There is more to the Spark than the price that most haven't realized will work in the snowmobile market. You'll see something similar to this in the snowmobile market in the very near future.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is more to the Spark than the price that most haven't realized will work in the snowmobile market. You'll see something similar to this in the snowmobile market in the very near future.
But that price point will OPEN up a whole new segment in the snowmobile market, just as it did in the PWC market

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
But that price point will OPEN up a whole new segment in the snowmobile market, just as it did in the PWC market

Correct me if I'm wrong but while the spark had some interesting new technology in it's design was it not equipped with the smaller "ace" motor in order to get it at the lower price point? The same motor that you can already get in a MXZ Sport for $7,200 msrp?

Do you really think there is a market for a low cost, low power mtn sled?

Didn't ski-doo try this a few years back in the trail market with the freestyle and it was a total failure for them?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I think mainly because the Freestyle was hideously ugly.
Now they are hard to find and selling for almost what they sold for new, I will snag up any I can find for when my kids can grow into them.
The Spark is also a lot of marketing/sales bs. Yes, you can get the base no reverse cheapy for $5000, but add a better engine, options, and pretty soon you have a $7000-$8000+ watercraft.
The hull halves are cheap and fairly easy to replace when damaged, it is a pretty slick design.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you really think there is a market for a low cost, low power mtn sled?
NO.
I do not think it would do well in the MOUNTAIN SEGMENT.
But lets face it, we are the SMALL SEGMENT.

But a brand new sled for under $5K could bring a LOT of new riders into our sport for the first time.

lets face it. This is NOT a cheap affordable sport for the faint of wallet.
Sledding is an EXPENSIVE hobby.
Mountain Sledding is probably 2nd only to Racing in terms of cost of operation, upgrades, maintenance, repairs.

But Mountain Sledders are not born, they are raised up from regular sledders that fall in love with the sport and want more.

So the simple cheap affordable entry level sled might bring in more hot bodies who could then be converted over to the dark side!!

latest

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID

Absolutely. Like I posted, I would put my wife on one. She can ride on trails, but has only done it twice a year since we met. Now that the kids are older, she wants to start riding, and I would prefer she learns how to mountain ride on a $6000 sled instead of one of my $14,000 sleds. Then it would be a good kid sled for learning. $6000 in a treewell is a lot less painful to look at than $14K. Yes, Summit Sports are cheap, but they are also low end old technology sleds with carbs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Absolutely. Like I posted, I would put my wife on one. She can ride on trails, but has only done it twice a year since we met. Now that the kids are older, she wants to start riding, and I would prefer she learns how to mountain ride on a $6000 sled instead of one of my $14,000 sleds. Then it would be a good kid sled for learning. $6000 in a treewell is a lot less painful to look at than $14K.
BINGO!
Same place for my wife and my younger kids.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Just a thought in regards to low entry point mtn sled. Why not offer a yearly upgrade program for the die hards that buy new every year and sell the year old sleds as certified used with warranty to new sledders. It accomplishes two things. 1. Makes upgrading yearly much easier 2. Gives new sledders a way in the sport at a much lower price point.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Just a thought in regards to low entry point mtn sled. Why not offer a yearly upgrade program for the die hards that buy new every year and sell the year old sleds as certified used with warranty to new sledders. It accomplishes two things. 1. Makes upgrading yearly much easier 2. Gives new sledders a way in the sport at a much lower price point.

Golden Ticket type stuff. Be a pretty good thing actually when newer and better comes out. Take a step further and do a lease program.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Dropping like flies?
Do tell.
First i have heard.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask! :)
4 here, all around 1000 miles. I was told today that there is a thread going in the Axys section about others. Exhaust port/rings wearing and gouging above the port. Looses compression until noticed, not catastrophic Pro type failures.

MountainFanatic

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2012
Wa
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask! :)
4 here, all around 1000 miles. I was told today that there is a thread going in the Axys section about others. Exhaust port/rings wearing and gouging above the port. Looses compression until noticed, not catastrophic Pro type failures.

There is no such thread.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
All kidding aside.

spark_purchase.jpg

They already have a price point sleds. The summits sport 600 and 800 and the dealers have a hard time moving them. I run a bunch in my rental fleet. The older carbed motors are super reliable, but it seems the public would rather have the latest / greatest.

T
Aug 8, 2011
So this is one of those deals that if I was reading it on the forums I would never really believe...no pics so it doesn't count I know

But, I talked to a friend today that I trust. He claims to have gotten a look at the new doo out testing. He is currently riding an axys and claims the new doo panel work is Atleast as narrow as the ax

Take it for what it's worth, no other details

K

bozo

Nov 23, 2010
There is a market for entry level sleds. I am from Western Canada and searched high and low for a freestyle for my daughter. The only other sled in that category was a Polaris Indy lite. Anyway...found a freestyle in Idaho.....and the sled is awesome. I would have have bought new if any manufacturer made something similar.

Premium Features