• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Friday's demo of the 2013 PRO-RMK

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I am really going back & forth between 155 or the 163. Had a 09 dragon 800 with the 155, sold it went to the 162 2010 800 cat. Love the power but it plows to much for me, need the new style chassis. But like the floatability of the long track, getting older & don't want to work so hard. Love the new polaris chassis, of all of the people who test rode the 2013 how many would go with the longer track? Also nicely written post Brandy, This is a huge decision, my thought is the 163 won't be that much of a issue with the tight turning ratio & flickability. What are your thoughts on this..

Hmm.. without having a 163 there to compare against all I can do is go off of past experiences, which might not be fair since this sled obviously handles differently. But for me, for my type of riding, my fun level being more important than my "not get stuck" level... I'm going to probably always stick to a 155. I've been told it's all in my head, but I can FEEL the difference between 155 and 163 - I like the ease of a 155. :heart:

S

Sixat38

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Sleds have sure come a long ways haven't they.

Blacktail.jpg

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Hey! That's Cartman!

I tell you what. I absolutely loved my Edge chassis. Anyone who ever rode her thought she was super easy to ride too... until the IQ chassis came out and then I had to switch to that, it was now the easiest thing to ride. I wasn't sure how Polaris would or could out do that and low and behold here comes the PRO chassis. They just keep evolving and it has been fun to be on all three of these chassis to see the changes! :heart:

T
Jan 1, 2008
Because two strokes will never be as reliable as four strokes and the two strokes stink and smoke way too much. Plus you have to buy two stroke oil. Then again four strokes have an electric starter, and they sound awesome! If you think otherwise, go buy a car or truck with your great two stroke engine just let us know where to get them because I haven't seen any lately!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Because two strokes will never be as reliable as four strokes and the two strokes stink and smoke way too much. Plus you have to buy two stroke oil. Then again four strokes have an electric starter, and they sound awesome! If you think otherwise, go buy a car or truck with your great two stroke engine just let us know where to get them because I haven't seen any lately!

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed! A wounded Yammi afictionado from the tone. Jealous of a nice light mountain package that doesn't include his choice of engine. Your four stroke burns as much oil as these two strokes do and can make as much HP per pound very easily. If you can ride that hog great! Good on you! To the rest of us, the Yammi's you Love are too heavy and Ill engineered and you will never convince us to trade our nice light handling sleds for a snow anchor with four stroke. JMHO

T
Jan 1, 2008
I don't have a Yamaha now, but did have one turbocharged on propane. It was awesome and it would still maneuver through the trees very well with no problems. I now ride the 1100T arctic cat and it does very well also with mods. I have always loved the Pro-Ride but have wanted a four stroke turbocharged engine from the factory. I was told by an engineer from Polaris that they would have a new factory turbocharged four stoke engine this next year in the Pro-Ride. I personally think with that would be the best possible combination available. If you read my earlier post, I simply ask if anyone had pics on that new unit. If you love two strokes....GREAT! I don't! I think they stink, they are tiny sounding and I just don't like them. That doesn't mean that you can't like them. That is why they sell all kinds on things. If we all liked the same thing, we would all be riding what I want!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
With Polaris investing heavily in devopment companies like SwissAuto... I would think that there is a lightweight turbo 4-cycle in the PRO chassis future.

That would really be a gamechanger as none of the OEM's currently have a featherweight 4-cycle in their sleds that makes good power...

Bring it ON Polaris... a 450 lb, 4-cycle turbo 163 PRO RMK!!!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
With Polaris investing heavily in devopment companies like SwissAuto... I would think that there is a lightweight turbo 4-cycle in the PRO chassis future.

That would really be a gamechanger as none of the OEM's currently have a featherweight 4-cycle in their sleds that makes good power...

Bring it ON Polaris... a 450 lb, 4-cycle turbo 163 PRO RMK!!!

The day that happens I will reconsider my opinion of a four stroke snowmobile until then I will stay with my sub 400# two strokes.

P.S. Thank You Mountain Horse for all your efforts here on SW over the years, and may your personal issues resolve themselves in a timely manner.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I find this 4 stroke talk quite interesting, and I believe that I am highly qualified to lay out a legitimate opinion on the matter. I feel like I have always ridden what I thought was the best offering by the sled manufacturers. Maybe not always in the stock form, but what I thought had the most potential for what I was after. In 03 I rode a Cat 900 and back then I was always of the feeling that whatever sled had the most power was the best. It was all about setting the highmark and having the fastest sled. It was this sentiment that forced me to fall in love with the boosted power of the 4 stroke Yamahas, and since 06 I have owned 5 different Yamahas, including 2 turbo Nytros, a supercharged Apex . and a supercharged Phazer. Some of which I also had when they were just stock. For sure these sleds have a place in the market and even in the mountains. If you are after straight power/trackspeed with proven reliability, you need look no further.

Now…fastforward several years to 2012. For me, and many others the sport has evolved so much into something totally different. It’s not about bashing an open hill, it’s more about taking your sled to the spots that were previously untouched, the spots that I previously only went to get out of the wind to have lunch. THE TREES

I ride my Nytro in the trees all the time, it can be done, but it is a FAAAAAR cry from a Pro. This year I have had several opportunities to ride 2011-2012 Pro’s. Needless to say, to most of you, I am sold. That sled is like cheating. It is so effortless to ride. Don’t get me wrong, I love the 280hp of my Impulse Nytro, but if I could only have 1 sled in my trailer, it would be a Pro. Kinda crazy huh? I would now prefer a sled that would cost me 1/2 of the cash. Looks like I will have two sleds, 2012 Pro…here I come. Well, not quite.

Today I got the chance to ride a 2013 Pro in waist deep powder. While the 2013 does not take anything away from the 2012, the improvements on the 2013 although some of them small, have made a MAJOR improvement on an already incredible sled. This sled felt absolutely as though it was an extension of my body and brain. :hail:A subtle tap of the toe in deep pow and this thing responds. I was able to do simple simple things on it that honestly took this sled to another level above a 2012. I was able to ride 2012 and 2013 back to back and wow…it’s that much better. Polaris really has their stuff together! I was amazed at how in waist deep powder I could half throttle the sled through stuff that most other sleds would be rapped out. While the Pro has what feels like just a fraction of the power of my Nytro, it flat out gets on top of the snow and works. Thank you Triple S for a great opportunity today. :rockon: You guys were great! They even started my sled for me several times. I think they were just trying to wean me off my electric start.

In addition to the fact that this sled is amazing, a couple other highs and lows to be noted:
• Running boards: I just wish they were a tad wider towards the back.
Love the new design. Best stock boards, but not the best available. Although not worth replacing, I prefer my Airframe boards, but I’m sure they are heavier. If the weight is more than a couple pounds I would go with the stockers.
• Seat: Loved it. It’s a bit slippery, but I loved it.
• Suspension: Wasn’t overly wowed by the suspension in the bumps. For stock it’s fine, but I may see a Kmod w/Raptors under mine. That setup is also a whole other level!

Basically, I am really excited to be sporting a new Pro next year and I will be adopting the old saying, “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

I guess I'm one that thinks otherwise. I've been around the block a time or two. Had both and had both with turbos. Neither were completely flawless. If you want to use your crazy car theory, a 4 stroke is like a diesel without a turbo. Don't have anything until you put a turbo on them. As far as smell, the 2 strokes do smell but roll that yamaha over and you've left as much or more oil on the mountain than a 2 stroke. A turboed yamaha sounds awesome but they are louder than any of the new 2 strokes. As far as reliability goes they are more reliable but they break too and are more expensive to get worked on. All the sleds are pretty reliable anymore and I don't keep them for more than 3 years or you are working on them or fixing stuff all the time. Kinda like your car theory. There is more to them than just an engine and they take a beating. Just like buying a ford, chevy or dodge truck. Somebody is going to get a good one and some body is going to get a bad one. The one thing I know for sure is my body likes me better at the end of the day. Polaris is going in the right direction for me.

Premium Features