• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris PRO WOT Issues..

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J
Mar 19, 2008
In any case, as usual the customer gets to do all the testing for Polaris...

The majority of Pro RMK owners are having blast testing for Polaris. Hell, even Cat and Doo riders who'll be testing for Polaris next year are having fun.:face-icon-small-ton

Couldn't agree more. My sled has been flawless for 520 hard miles. I ride every week with 4 other pros, and the only issue so far between them all, has been a set of fouled plugs. My dealer alone sno-checked 126 pros, and has sold a lot more since, and never have i seen more than 1 or 2 at a time in the service dept. I would say that this new model sled has done exceptionally well. Seems some people are trying really hard to find something to whine about.
I remember dragging my 07 rev out of the backcountry, once by chopper. Hows that for testing.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
WHAT??? You mean there is nothing "Fishy" going on??

No worries.. I have it set up so that Everybody that reads this post automatically gets $50 deducted from their checking account and deposited in mine.. :face-icon-small-win:mad2::face-icon-small-dis...

I also suspect that the coil, regulator, or stator is faulty.. but not real sure yet until we get out problem back.. FULL TIME.. As it sits now.. We can not get ours to screw up again where as before it was constant (for 2 FULL rides).. So, until our issue returns, full time, we can only go by what we have altered to resolve the problem...

In any case, as usual the customer gets to do all the testing for Polaris...
We have found a few more issues that we are working on resolving.. Nothing major.. but warrants attention nonetheless...

Please keep me posted on the results of trying our "work-around" once we get some more feedback we can look harder at the real solution..

Kelsey

Kelsey, it sounded, as you put it, "fishy" because you wouldn't just come out and say what you found/did, which in the end was pull out your plugs and give them a couple taps on the work bench.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some Pro Owners ARE having a similar problem... Some are NOT...

Good feedback like this and open discussions on forums like this are a good way for the engineers at polaris to, sometimes, get "snapshots" from the field about their products.

More and more companies are realizing the value of just this kind of Social Network Feedback and Marketing... In the end, we all benefit from this as long as it can be kept civilized in presentation.

Life is good... Ride hard... The PRO Chassis continues to amaze me.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
totally like the RTK info and appreciate the same , infact kind of ready to purchase something from them, but I sence attitude against Pol and even thou myself I have spoken against Pol corporate I am still wearing pol undis and waiting for them to make a beer so I can drink it. Have to give kudos thou, Iv'e been trying to figure out this problem on my sons and while I checked wires I didn't go into detail at the cap and gap, THANKS RTK

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks a bunch, Kelsey (and others).

Appreciate the info very much and I for one smelled no fish on the first one.

Sounds smart to seek out those with THE SAME symptoms as yours, not every PRO out regardless of fault/symptoms.

Anyway, keep this kind of stuff coming! This is why those $10 were so easy to cough up.

Rune

Z

ziperhead

Dec 17, 2010
does polaris have a cure for this yet? my dealer tells me they havent heard of this problem. it ran flawless for the first 150 miles in the hills, came home to 1800' and havent had a good ride yet! seems to cut out between 5500- wot. also cant pull over 8000,pulled 8300before with the same weights same elevation. to much turkey for xmas dinner maybe ??

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
So that you dont feel like the plug boot/gap idea is out of left field... this problem has shown up on many CFi sleds in past years as well... especially on turbo sleds and the 900's.

I'm not saying that this is the solution... but it is definately worth a try.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
Couldn't agree more. My sled has been flawless for 520 hard miles. I ride every week with 4 other pros, and the only issue so far between them all, has been a set of fouled plugs. My dealer alone sno-checked 126 pros, and has sold a lot more since, and never have i seen more than 1 or 2 at a time in the service dept. I would say that this new model sled has done exceptionally well. Seems some people are trying really hard to find something to whine about.
I remember dragging my 07 rev out of the backcountry, once by chopper. Hows that for testing.

Whining? Really?
That is great that the Pro's are working good around you in your area. I know of two around here that have this bog issue and another that totaled his when coming off a drop and a bog caused a nose dive situation. So this is/could be a major issue for some that put these sleds in make or break situations expecting one result out of the performance and a "gremlin" causes another. I love these sleds still, but I am very happy I am not an owner of one right now. There have been enough post on here not counting the number of other sleds that don't come on here to prove that there is something going on. It isn't right that polaris team tips come out to dealers only(that I know of) and they are sitting on there hands "again"(Dragon burndowns) on this one. We have over the past couple weeks chased this issue ourselves adding this sparkplug wire deal recently. Will know thursday if it helps. Also have another ecu and injectors coming.
Good job Kelsey for maybe finding the issue!! But lighten up a little.:face-icon-small-blu

W

wyodragon

Dec 8, 2009
wot issue

Mine started doing it this weekend. I had 140 miles on it when it began.It is inconsistant . I am going to try this and see if I get some improvement before I take it back to the dealer. Thanks for the info,hope it cures mine.

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
Kelsey,

Thank you for your post, I did have one "cut-out" at full power and could not figure where its from. I will have a look at the spark plug system.

I looked at the service manual and it states .027 for plugs gap, how did you come up with .018?

FBF.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
mine seemed to have a terrible hesitation in the higher RPMs when I would pin it right away when I was tryin to get a feel for it around home here in North Dakota. Fell right on it's face , made me kinda think twice as this is my first Polaris snowmobile. Once I rode it out in Cooke it just flat out ripped. No bog, hesitation, burbble. nothin. Just not the snap I believe I'll get with the non-ethanol resistor in place.

I'm guessing if a person were to run the non-ethanol resistor at low elevation you might lose your bog/hesitation. --Also, I have yet to ride my new RMK at low elevation since the trip to Cooke, so idk how it's performing here in the flats now that its broke in.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Had my injectors replaced last week and rode on Friday. I had this issue occasionally but other problems as well. I am glad to say that I no longer have any of the problems!!! Sled ran great all day. No bog, no hesitation, no cut out, nothing. Solid running without skipping a beat.

R
Nov 27, 2007
N Wis
Checked my brother's 800 Rush, spark plug caps were not pushed down tight, with the hood off I pushed straight down hard, caps went down a Little & clicked.

Then I removed the caps, spark plugs, gaped plugs to .018", blew out a little dust inside of the caps.

His 800 Rush has ran great, less then 200 miles.

My brother said that RKT had an EXCELLENT idea to reduce the spark plug gap to .018" to improve a WOT issue.

He said that when he was setting up the old LRM mod Polaris Centurion 500 3 cylinder engines with the weak stock ignition Larry R. (LRM) had told all of his mod oval racers to reduce spark plug gap to .015" to improve a WOT ignition issue.

RKT, Thanks Much for taking the time to post your 800 Pro info!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a Great New Year; Rich

W

wyodragon

Dec 8, 2009
still stumbles

Went thru the steps and went for a short ride,still having the issue. Guess I will call the dealer and get some injectors changed out. I wonder if Polaris knows which lot of injectors were bad and which sleds they went into :mad2:

Oct 29, 2010
Hello snowest.
I have yet to ever Make a post on this site but am quite active on hcs. ( flatlander and trail rider site). I decide to see if the hesitation and bog was popping up on the pro rmks and was surprised to see it was. I was a lucky purchaser to buy a pro r 800 sled was amazing till about 400 miles then loss of rpms and hesitation. Well checked the plug caps, no good. I have started to see a trend as to the sleds having these issues seems to be yellow injector/ ecu sleds. I was just curious if the pro rmk with this hesitation had the same color injector. With just over 1000 miles on this sled this issue is very annoying and I have yet to see the pro r with blue or Red injectors/ ecu and harness to have this issue.

Thanks guys.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hello snowest.
I have yet to ever Make a post on this site but am quite active on hcs. ( flatlander and trail rider site). I decide to see if the hesitation and bog was popping up on the pro rmks and was surprised to see it was. I was a lucky purchaser to buy a pro r 800 sled was amazing till about 400 miles then loss of rpms and hesitation. Well checked the plug caps, no good. I have started to see a trend as to the sleds having these issues seems to be yellow injector/ ecu sleds. I was just curious if the pro rmk with this hesitation had the same color injector. With just over 1000 miles on this sled this issue is very annoying and I have yet to see the pro r with blue or Red injectors/ ecu and harness to have this issue.

Thanks guys.

from what we are seeing new injectors are fixing this....mine has yellow..runs great, but it only has 120 miles on it...

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
If it's not one thing...it's another, right...?

My sled has been doing this @ 7900 RPM best I can tell, yellow Injectors, 420 miles.

I haven't tried any of the WORKAROUNDSyet, not too happy I have to, I hope we can soon find a definitive answer, regarding batch numbers, production runs and the like.

W

wyodragon

Dec 8, 2009
Polaris' Answer

Finally spoke to someone from Polaris and got a Polaris answer back from dealer.Polaris denies having changed any injectors to address this particular issue (HIGH RPM CUTTING OUT) They have replaced a few injectors on sleds that would not idle or run correctly.The Polaris guy I talked to hadnt heard of this issue but my dealer talked to someone at Polaris who had spent all morning talking to people about it.They have pointed me to the kill switch and spark plug wires. I have followed rkteks work around so I am not too hopeful about the plug wires. The only difference was to trim a 1/4 inch off the bottom of the plug cap. This may help with better contact or connection and can't hurt to try. The other idea is vibration at high rev getting to the kill switch somehow. Evidently this can be checked by wiggling /twisting the kill switch at an idle to check for any fluctuation in RPM.I will be looking into both of these items when I get home and will post up if I can make any progress. Just sharing what I heard today and I know its differant than what we have been reading here. I just want to kill the Gremlin and shred some snow!!

R

redink420

Feb 6, 2009
There sure can be alot of snow buildup in the throttle trigger when riding in anything sticky.

W

wyodragon

Dec 8, 2009
No fix

Went thru all of the Polaris recommended steps and it did it again. I guess I am going to ask for injectors before they have a rush on them.ANd new spark plug wires that they thought I should shorten.

Premium Features