• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MOST URGENT: Mt Jefferson Slated for Immediate Closure!!

J
Jan 21, 2008
I am urging all snowmobilers to contact there elected officials and voice opposition to the current spending bill before the congress. Jon Tester has inserted his forest bill which if passed will close all of Hell Roaring canyon below Mt Jefferson. I have read the bill on Testers web site and viewed the map as well and it clearly shows all access to Mt Jefferson being blocked from the Idaho side. Regardless of your opinion about the spending bill please voice your protest to the closure of this treasure. Please spread the word. Joe Horner

=====

BRC NATIONAL ACTION ALERT - IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED

December 15th, 2010

BRC NATIONAL ACTION ALERT

IMMEDATE ACTION REQUESTED
SENATOR USES INFLUENCE ON POWERFUL APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE TO SLIP HIS GIANT WILDERNESS BILL INTO THIS MASSIVE PORK PACKAGE.

THIS PIGGIE WILL PASS UNLESS YOU ACT! CALL YOUR SENATORS IMMEDIATELY!

THE CROWN JEWEL OF WESTERN SNOWMOBILING, MT. JEFFERSON, IS INCLUDED IN THIS WILDERNESS BILL.

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscribers,
Montana's Senator Jon Tester has used his position on the powerful Senate Appropriation Committee to slip his Wilderness legislation into a giant 2000-page government spending bill, the 2011 Consolidated Appropriations Act.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Do not email! Do not communicate via web-form. Legislators ignore emails.
They do, however, pay attention to phone calls.

Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121 and tell your Senator:
"Please oppose the 2011 Consolidated Appropriations Act. Tell your Senator that you strongly oppose the back-room shenanigans and non-budget related sections of this bill."

Do it NOW. Please.
We've included some background info and links to information on the web below. As always, please call or email with questions or comments.
Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

PS: The reason Senator Tester's bill hasn't passed already is because it has problems that he refuses to fix. Slipping it in the appropriations bill behind closed doors, along with billions of dollars of pork and deficit spending, is the height of legislative arrogance. We must not let this stand!

PPS: Check this statement from Montana Congressman Denny Rehberg:
"This is government at its worst. Montanans have had zero input on this new wilderness bill.
It hasn't even had a public hearing in Congress.
What's more, Senator Tester is jamming his unpopular bill into yet another trillion dollar spending bill jam packed with pork.
These are exactly the sort of underhanded tactics the American people rejected in November.

Capitol-Flag_Banner-BRC-LU.jpg

BRC NATIONAL ACTION ALERT
IMMEDATE ACTION REQUESTED

SENATOR USES INFLUENCE ON POWERFUL APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE TO SLIP GIANT WILDERNESS BILL INTO GOVERNMENT FUNDING BILL. BRC IS REQUESTING ALL OUR MEMBERS CALL THEIR SENATORS IMMEDIATELY.

SITUATION
We want to begin with a bit of background first.
Senator Jon Tester from Montana has been pushing the Forest Jobs and Recreation Act for several years. It's billed as a compromise between preservation, forest health and recreation. Tester has been maintaining that the bill actually protects motorized access, as well as designates suitable Wilderness and allows for logging to address forest health issues.

BRC's staff and volunteers have gone over the bill in detail, and it "almost" gets there. Believe it or not, there are only a few relatively minor changes that would make this bill palatable. The bill needs to buck up its mandate for timber management and, in order to guard against greenie lawsuits, it needs to clarify its intent on travel management, and the popular Mt. Jefferson Snowmobile area needs to be removed from Wilderness designation. If Senator Tester had done these things, I think many multiple use activists, including yours truly, could have been convinced to support the bill.

These flaws, or more accurately, the refusal to address any of these flaws, and the refusal to bring local governments to the table, are why Tester's bill has languished in Senate.

Instead of working with stakeholders and making meaningful adjustments, the Senator is simply using his position on the powerful Senate Appropriations Committee to bully his way over the concerns of the American people.

So... hidden among 8 billion dollars of earmarks, unpopular health care funding, and 2000 pages of borrowing and spending, is his pet Wilderness bill. The Senator and his colleagues waited until one week before the Christmas Holiday before letting anyone look at it. This is truly an outrage, and it must be opposed at all costs.

In our busy lives, while we put our attention to work and family, many will say they simply do not have the time to call their Senators. While everyone at BRC fully understands, we believe this is perhaps the single most important issue facing recreational users, both motorized and non-motorized, in decades. If this sort of thing is seen as "acceptable," by the American public, it will only be a matter of time before some other Senator decides to slip in a bill that closes your favorite recreational area.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO RIGHT THIS MOMENT!!
Click here, and enter your zip code.
Call your Senator's State office, or the office nearest your home and say: "Please oppose the 2011 Consolidated Appropriations Act.

Tell your Senator that you strongly oppose the back-room shenanigans and non-budget related sections of this bill.

MORE INFO ON THE WEB:
Tester's wilderness, jobs initiative attached to federal appropriations bill
http://ravallirepublic.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article.html

Forest Jobs and Recreation Act
A Teachable Wilderness Bill
http://www.sharetrails.org/public-lands/?section=Tester_Bill

Wilderness Activists Fail to Close Mount Jefferson in Forest Plan - Push Legislation Instead
http://www.sharetrails.org/public-lands/?section=Mt_Jefferson

Snowmobilers Celebrate Mount Jefferson Victory
http://www.sharetrails.org/magazine/article/?id=1729

Link to the 2011 Consolidated Appropriations Act
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/2011_Consolidated_Appropriations_Act.pdf

WARNING: BRC members with high blood pressure should seek medical advice before downloading and reading this document. There is good reason the Senate waited until the week before Christmas to make this public. You will find Tester's Wilderness bill hidden among over 8 billion (borrowed) dollars of earmarks, heath care funding and all kinds of shenanigans beginning on page 893.

National News regarding the Appropriations bill:

Senate Dems unveil $1.1T spending bill
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/133563-senate-dems-unveil-11t-omnibus-spending-bill-

Senate spending bill contains thousands of earmarks
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/14/topnews

Revolt: Republicans Angry About Omnibus Spending Bill Decry 'Total Mess'
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/revolt-republicans-angry-omnibus-budget-decry-total-mess/

Sen. McConnell On 2000-Page Omnibus Bill: "No One Has Seen It"
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/sen_mcconnell_on_2000-page_omnibus_bill_no_one_has_seen_it

Democrats' budget bill: $1.1 trillion; 1,900 pages
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/46383.html

Last edited by a moderator:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Already made my phone calls!!

This Lame Duck stuff is just that......LAME! It shouldn't be legal....but when do our elected officals listen to us? Though Denny Rehberg has been great....and has a good statement about this.......

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
Letters sent, I even got a response back from Tester saying my input was very important to him, yah right lying d bag, if he really cared what his constituents wanted he wouldn't attach his bill which nobody wants to pass to a bill that has a good likely hood of passing just so he can get his personal agenda through.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Which legislation contains Tester's language? The omnibus spending/budget legislation? Or the tax legislation?

The House is our last hope for removal of this if you are referring to the tax bill that passed the Senate.

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
See this comment:

Rehberg Statement on Montana Wilderness Bill Being Included in $1.1 Trillion Omnibus
12/14/10 WASHINGTON, D.C. – Montana’s Congressman, Denny Rehberg released the following statement upon confirming that a new version of Senator Tester’s Wilderness Bill was added to the 1,924-page $1.1 trillion Omnibus Appropriations Bill. Rehberg hosted 22 public meetings specifically about this legislation across the impacted region. He posted the comments and ideas he heard in the “Transparency Center” portion of his congressional website.
“This is government at its worst. Montanans have had zero input on this new wilderness bill. It hasn't even had a public hearing in Congress. What's more, Senator Tester is jamming his unpopular bill into yet another trillion dollar spending bill jam packed with pork. These are exactly the sort of underhanded tactics the American people rejected in November. Apparently, the message didn’t get through. There’s not enough time to read this bill, let alone seek out public input. This is nothing but a shameful attempt to force-feed Montanans another dose of big-government before the clock runs out on the Pelosi regime.”

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like we SERIOUSLY NEED TO RALLY the troops on this one.

Just another STEALTH attack on our rights under the cover of darkness at the last minute when no one is watching!

DIRTBAG POLITICIAN

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Looks like we SERIOUSLY NEED TO RALLY the troops on this one.

Just another STEALTH attack on our rights under the cover of darkness at the last minute when no one is watching!

DIRTBAG POLITICIAN

YES.....rallying the troops IS needed!

And yes, he is a dirtbag!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
made my phone calls. Mt jefferson is not the only wilderness bill in this omnibus package i can guarantee that. if this passes it will create a lot of new wilderness in several western states. So you should call even if you are not from ID or MT. call now!

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Everyone needs to call....this is PUBLIC LAND....if it's taken away, it's taken away from ALL of us.

The enviro-zealots are sending out a lot of email about this and urging folks to call in support. We NEED to make our voices heard!!

One of the emails is titled "Montana Wildlife's Holiday Wish" Another is "Mr. President, Give the Gift that Stands the Test of Time", and there are many more. :puke:

PLEASE call

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Oh I know I will probably catch hell for this, but I think this rises to the occasion of a forum wide alert.

This one is just SO DAMN UGLY!

And with how things are going in congress right this moment, there is a very good chance it will pass as part of that huge spending bill they are working on before Christmas.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
To heck with that.....if people don't care about riding areas and doing something to keep them, there is something wrong.

We NEED to speak up and be heard. It's simple and painless....and something that needs everyone's attention!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
So who should we call....Representatives, Senators?? Is it more important we call the Democrates since they will probably vote yes on this and the Republicans mostly likely will not?
Obviously Tester doesn't give two chets what we think so why bother calling him?

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
You still want to call Tester....the enviro's are. We don't want the only calls he gets to be from them. I made sure I let the office know I'm a registered voter, and that I felt Tester wasn't thinking about Montana at all.

Yes, call Senator's. Flood the offices with calls!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So who should we call....Representatives, Senators?? Is it more important we call the Democrates since they will probably vote yes on this and the Republicans mostly likely will not?
Obviously Tester doesn't give two chets what we think so why bother calling him?

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO RIGHT THIS MOMENT!!

Click here, and enter your zip code.

Call your Senator's State office, or the office nearest your home and say: "Please oppose the 2011 Consolidated Appropriations Act.

Tell your Senator that you strongly oppose the back-room shenanigans and non-budget related sections of this bill.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Oh I know I will probably catch hell for this, but I think this rises to the occasion of a forum wide alert.

This one is just SO DAMN UGLY!

And with how things are going in congress right this moment, there is a very good chance it will pass as part of that huge spending bill they are working on before Christmas.

why would it raise hell do the forum wide alert Christopher! this is HUGELY IMPORTANT!! congress is gonna try to slam this bill through behind the american peoples back its last days of 2010. CALL BOTH YOUR SENATORS NOW!! Again, this is not just mt jefferson there will be several wilderness bills hidden in this thing....one could be in your state and you wont know until its too late!!

click on link below to find senators phone numbers for your state:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Last edited:

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
why would it raise hell??? this is HUGELY IMPORTANT!! congress is gonna try to slam this bill through behind the american peoples back its last days of 2010. Call both your senators NOW!!

click on link below to find senators phone numbers for your state:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Because some people don't like to receive PM's from Christopher, no matter what the topic. :face-icon-small-con That's why I said to heck with that...it is IMPORTANT, and EVERYONE needs to stand up and be heard on this issue.

I sign up on enviro websites to receive their email alerts. I have a specific email address that is used solely for this. I've gotten a BUNCH of email pertaining to this....they are reaching out all over. Of course their email is filled with lies, but most whom get them don't know that......so they want to do their part to save the world/woods/wildlife/etc.

We simply cannot sit back and allow this to pass!

Premium Features