• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

“Expert” Edition Thoughts

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I'm 6'6" and considering upgrading my 14 to a 2020 expert.

I'm slightly concerned with a couple things.
1) the short riser.
2) Narrow grips, no I want wider grips my hands are huge.
3) The limit strap adjuster looks like I would be kicking it and bending it with my foot.

1 and 2 are easy to fix.

I have the adjustable riser on my 14, and i run it about in the middle. I have tried it all the way out and it feels stupid., but all the way low feels horrible for me too.

What is the rise diff between the X and the Expert? maybe I can get the dealer to throw in a riser for me.

Also, at least with my 14 SP, the shocks would bottom out under the sleds own weight on its side which meant every time i side hilled it was riding bottomed out, same with my friends 14 X. I put fox evols on mine and it made a huge diff. Are the shocks on the expert any better ?

If I was your dealer I would easily put a 6.5 inch riser on it and just swap out the 4.7 as it will be easy to see, or you could do this, lots of people purchase one, you could try the grips but I agree you might want the regular or a thicker grip on regular bars, again easy to swap out yourself or have dealer do as someone with an x will want that bar or go cheetah factory racing with bigger grips. And no you won't bend or break the limiter strap adjust off, it is designed that way, the shocks are pretty amazing however you may need to get stiffer, mostly likely will have to , springs, I would also agree that a 175 would be perfect for you and yo could add the spindles, seat if you wanted to and upgrade you suspension, but the expert will be cheaper for what you get and if you need to update your suspension as you feel you can do that. cheers dave

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
It would be a lot easier to spring check these new sleds if we could ride them and hear from normal riders that don’t get paid by Doo, anybody out there not paid by Doo ride an expert yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when have we been wrong, people often think we say what were told, but that is the furthest from the truth, if we lie and you buy something and it sucks, you would never listen to us again and our jobs would be over. We are not here to blow smoke but best describe what the new advantages are and how they feel. The expert package is better than the T3 package was to the XM, it works and is pretty amazing! Happy Riding!

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
when have we been wrong, people often think we say what were told, but that is the furthest from the truth, if we lie and you buy something and it sucks, you would never listen to us again and our jobs would be over. We are not here to blow smoke but best describe what the new advantages are and how they feel. The expert package is better than the T3 package was to the XM, it works and is pretty amazing! Happy Riding!

Says the guy that reviews free stuff as the best ever, then puts it up for sale
As never used the next season...

Nice try!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
seems like the sled was built for Mr. Norona.

what happened to the line "skidoo backcountry EXPERT here, Dave norona..."

cheers!

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
“Expert” Edition Thoughts

A comparison ride between the X, Freeride and Expert would help me decide..
I’m on the fence, I still have 2 years warranty left on my 17 X
So I will probably wait for the ride reviews to come in.
No spring check for me

Still liking my 17 165 X

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Tell us more?

I don’t want to turn this into another Dave bashing thread!
Just wanted to remind him he’s not unbiased..
I could have done it in a less snarky way!
And he doesn’t hide what I’m talking about, just check the swap meet area.
No big deal!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I don’t want to turn this into another Dave bashing thread!
Just wanted to remind him he’s not unbiased..
I could have done it in a less snarky way!
And he doesn’t hide what I’m talking about, just check the swap meet area.
No big deal!

Looks like he has listed 3 things for sale in 2 years. Someone sounds like a jealous little bitch

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Looks like he has listed 3 things for sale in 2 years. Someone sounds like a jealous little bitch

I think many of us are jealous of a guy that makes a living riding snowmobiles!
Not to mention get's to experience most of the goodies at no charge months, if not years before us commoners ever get a chance to overpay for them.
Hell yeah we're jealous!

It would be interesting if Dave would share his background and how he was hired by BRP.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
A comparison ride between the X, Freeride and Expert would help me decide..
I’m on the fence, I still have 2 years warranty left on my 17 X
So I will probably wait for the ride reviews to come in.
No spring check for me

Still liking my 17 165 X

DITTOS I still have two years on my 18.... I was gonna start trading every two years. I was hoping for more color and upgrade options, after reading about plant upgrades to I guess, facilitate just that. In the end I didn't get what I wanted, but I did save several thousand and still have a great sled.

SkiDooHoser

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Driggs, Idaho
My wife is interested in the Expert. She rides a 2018 850 with a 4.7 riser, smaller seat, duro pro ski rubbers, revalved shocks and 154x3. Her sled is really fun to ride.

The new Expert is perfect for her except that snow flap deal or lack there of. Heard a rumor that there may be an extended flap coming???

Last edited:

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Snow Checked Today!

Snow checked a 2020 Summit Expert 165 with SHOT and the 4 year warranty.

The 2017 Summit X has been great and briefly thought about doing some upgrades on the 17 but decided to go the new sled route.

Reasonably sure I will be adding the adjustable riser and the detachable LNQ snow-flap.

Looking forward to the Expert.

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
Ordered one 2 weeks ago.

I am really excited about the new sled set up. The short tunnel, stiffer valving on the suspension, and new ski/spindle set up will probably be my favorite features. I am 6'1" and like a 5" riser. Yes, it is a little short when I stand up riding down the trail but who cares? Most important to me is how the sled handles on steep terrain, most of the time I'm just sitting down on the trail anyway because I'm trying to catch my breath before jumping into something else. If you like a wider grip try ODI. Cheap and grippy. I will likely still put B and M skinny running boards on anyway, but the boards are also greatly improved. Oh yeah, the short seat is also good for everybody. Thanks, Thunder Mountain Lodge.....

Premium Features