• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Missing/at 4200 -4500 M1000 Full SLP exhaust

S
Apr 20, 2018
Michigan
M1000
stock bore and no porting
full SLP exhaust and Boondocker
Add Fuel or take fuel away not eliminating the issue.

While riding at low speed below 5grand the motor feels like and sounds like its loosing a plug. If I am on it moves through this range no issues and
runs up to 7600 -77 and feels great its only while moving around at this slow 20-30mph it struggles.

Thoughts

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
do you have the bdx intake on it?
any intake that pulls air from under the hood will have this on the m1k the ecu can not keep up with the temp swing from low speed hot air to high speed cold air.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I would say definitely rich there. I had to pull a lot of fuel on mine in that range, especially on the mag side. It would sputter and try to drop a cylinder. I'm using a pcV, not a boondocker though.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have added more Hood Vents near the Speedo, and also added holes in the
Air Box in these areas.... Maybe a Bad Idea?

all the m1ks i have had do better with the stock intake.
I would cover all the holes with tape that can bring in hot air and see how she does.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
I put a (I think it was) bdx cold air intake on my 09m1000 when I did full slp pipe setup with pc3 controller. That cold air Intake that blocked front of intake compartment with a full cover. I added a k/n filet with prescreen cover on to stock intake boot before closing up Incase front frog screens ripped that way eng didn’t suck snow. That sled responded extremely well to the full pipe setup and ended up adding 20% more fuel up top. Poured the coals to it the 1000 just ate it. They need to come out with a ctec 2 1000 engine that would kick ass. Never had a bog on that sled. Idle to full throttle or where ever throttle it just pulled.

S
Apr 20, 2018
Michigan
I agree a update 1000 in the Alpha Chassis would ROCK

Now while I was repairing my added holes in the stock air box I pulled the stock
side Vent covers (for inspection) and the End of the Airbox I will call the Horn is wide open from Cat. I am surprised that the extra holes I put in effected it at all. I hope this is the problem as it had no issues until this Modification. I will test as soon as I get to snow. As it Rained and was 41 here yesterday Lower Michigan...

Thanks for all your input.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Also know that the powervalves for that motor will open as per throttle actuation speeds...in other words, if you hammer the throttle, the valves open earlier. If you roll on slowly, the valves open later. I suspect you are finding a dead zone in there where the valves should be open considering your mods, but the valves are staying closed...effectively choking it out. Also be aware that running any 2 stroke motor for a sustained period of time at low/mid throttle in the midrange (5k) can burn a motor down...especially with higher-flow mods (pipe and airbox). I would just avoid that range altogether.

And I would make sure you aren't deadly lean there...I'd richen it up a lot in the range you are having issues with and make sure it falls on its face, not get better. If you are lean bogging and starving that motor for fuel, you will detonate and you will seize up. And the more fuel you can get away with on the top end, the better...that motor is proven to produce more HP with as much gas as you can feed it on the top end.

S
Apr 20, 2018
Michigan
Removed SLP CAN.....

Multiple Boondocker adjustments got passed the 4200 issue
but it moved up to 6 grand and I couldn't get rid of it.
So I Removed SLP CAN, put Stock Muffler on as some people suggested..... and Added some fuel around 6400 setting in my BD.
Sled running great, was able to put the 83 gram weights back in. It really
pulls now. I'm sure back up in elevation I will need to drop back to 80 or 77grm. But I am Very happy now.

Premium Features