• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-doo factory bulkhead fix?

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Can you imagine if these sled makers were auto manufactures they would go out of business in a year. In comparison a Soviet made Yugo would be vastly more dependable and reliable then any current snowmobile.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Next time you take a ride in a Helicopter have a lot at the rotor blades -- they keep it flying and by the way are glued together. Or an other example if you are so fortunate to fly to a fair away destination in a Boeing 787 (nice plane) glued together wings :face-icon-small-dis Or take a 100 foot jump on a dirt bike with a aluminium frame (I guess you heard of freestyle motocross) you see lots of them there--- Cast and extruded pieces welded together. Hope you get my point.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Next time you take a ride in a Helicopter have a lot at the rotor blades -- they keep it flying and by the way are glued together. Or an other example if you are so fortunate to fly to a fair away destination in a Boeing 787 (nice plane) glued together wings :face-icon-small-dis Or take a 100 foot jump on a dirt bike with a aluminium frame (I guess you heard of freestyle motocross) you see lots of them there--- Cast and extruded pieces welded together. Hope you get my point.

We get the point, but disregard the premise.
You cannot compare glued together suspension components to glued together aircraft components when the basis of the comparison is in use adhesion failure.
There simply is nothing to compare.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
We get the point, but disregard the premise.
You cannot compare glued together suspension components to glued together aircraft components when the basis of the comparison is in use adhesion failure.
There simply is nothing to compare.

The point is done right they are not only equal they are superior that is why the rant on a earlier post is just that.
Poor execution of technology is no reason to bash what that technology can offer--if we do that might as well stay in a Cave.

G
Jan 21, 2017
HUH ?

If skidoo covers cost of repair it doesnt make the sled more, "durable" It just makes it rideable until the next major breakage in a ride or two.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I love reading the forums. It makes me feel so advanced and so much more intelligent than other human beings ??
You can actually spell too! I agree with your post, the new sleds are amazing and (for most of us) handle an incredible amount of abuse with few problems.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The point is done right they are not only equal they are superior that is why the rant on a earlier post is just that.
Poor execution of technology is no reason to bash what that technology can offer--if we do that might as well stay in a Cave.

However, execution is also a basic important part of the technology.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
However, execution is also a basic important part of the technology.

Execution is probably the biggest part -- I also hear you guys about serviceability or more correct repairability. In general glued parts are done for cost savings, now glue also can be used to improve strength by reducing point loads on welds or rivets -- especially used in combination --laminated and composite parts are done for improved flexibility and strength. For suspension components I am a big fan of Crom molly steel. It has the best flex characteristics out there. And is easy to repair.
On the bulkhead a slight change in alloy composition could probably fix most of the cracking we have seen, likely you would see some more deformation instead of cracks and the additional flex would also have some impact on handing. My guess is that has already been ordered for the 2018 bulkheads I doubt there will be any other change to it.

Premium Features