• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive Belt Break In

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
Strap it to your trailer, jack up the rear end, put a water hose on the coolers, fire it up and get your 30 miles on the belt before you leave the driveway. Then you will be ready to rock n roll.

Breaking in a motor under no load....not good
I think I'd rather replace the belt if it goes and have a properly broken in motor.

Just buy a set of brake pads...use the brake as your load. Then you will be able to break in the motor and belt without leaving the house. :face-icon-small-dis

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
If nothing else I am going to heat cycle my belts as many times as possible at the house on the stand unless we get a dusting to cover the big front yard so I can rip up the lawn.

Note to self:

Keep drive belt under 185 degrees.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I find the idea of a 100 mile break in on a belt completly ridiculous. guessing im not alone on that.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Cant break in separately.

Dumb question, and not a Polaris guy, but if the belt break in is so critical you would think the manufacturer would invest in something hi tech like a machine that breaks them in at the factory so the end user gets them ready to ride them however the situation requires.

Trash Cat,

Break-in is about the individual parts (belts/sprockets) "bedding" into each other according to the individual parts small tolerance variations.

A belt bedded-in on one sled or machine will not be bedded-in on another.

My 2 cents.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Breaking in a motor under no load....not good
I think I'd rather replace the belt if it goes and have a properly broken in motor.

I did this on my 02 800 rmk and it seemed to work just fine. For the Pro, considering both the driveshaft and the sensitive belt issues, it would seem to be even more important to find out whether your sled has any defects coming off of the assembly line. I myself would be temped to take the sharp edges off of my belt pulley teeth with some fine grade of sandpaper, in order to not rely on $200 belts to do the sanding for me.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would warn any while breaking in their belts to try and keep the heat down(avoid riding the brake, since its quite easy to turn the rotor cherry red), I think quick short burst followed up by a open panel cool down would be advantageous...and should allow a proper engine breakin to be done.........

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
Maybe even ride around with the right panel off if your just putting around the house???

I pull the left panel off when I have to tow other sleds out. It seemes to help keep the clutches a little cooler.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I would warn any while breaking in their belts to try and keep the heat down(avoid riding the brake, since its quite easy to turn the rotor cherry red), I think quick short burst followed up by a open panel cool down would be advantageous...and should allow a proper engine breakin to be done.........

It appears your not really breaking in the belt as much as breaking in the gears to have rounded edges,Hmm 3C gears are hard anodized and fit the belt day one, They do not require any break in or the anodized coatings would be wore down, Is this just poor gear design and quality?Poo even say,s the next belt wont require the long break in period

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
It appears your not really breaking in the belt as much as breaking in the gears to have rounded edges,Hmm 3C gears are hard anodized and fit the belt day one, They do not require any break in or the anodized coatings would be wore down, Is this just poor gear design and quality?Poo even say,s the next belt wont require the long break in period
basically yep, your wearing in the sprockets...but the process makes the belt hot..hence keeping off the gas...and might explain some of the issues some have seen(too much heat delams belts)...

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Actually all three other belt drive systems are mated and one uses a Carlisle supercharger belt besides the Gates Poly . What reasoning is there for wearing in the gears at an accelerated rate ? It's not like the belt stays in one spot , it walks from side to side under loads , more so with wear .

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I wonder what the air temperature is inside that side pannel on a deep snow day on a heavy pull with the exhaust right there? If 185 is the limit I would think it would get close to that. Maybe not?

Swampy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Nevada City, CA
I wonder what the air temperature is inside that side pannel on a deep snow day on a heavy pull with the exhaust right there? If 185 is the limit I would think it would get close to that. Maybe not?

Agreed! 185 is not very hot. The coolant in the motor normally runs in that range and the EGT tends to be MUCH hotter!

D
Sep 6, 2010
Got about 28 miles in on mine today, very heavy wet snow, went straight for motor break in as soon as it came off the deck and didnt evan check the belt untill about 10 miles in when i opened up all panels just to check everything. didnt find mine to be very hot at all and the shavings were more like dust at that point. Like i said i went for engine break in but after getting home and checking everthing out the belt looks great, very little debis in the pan and no sign of belt wear or anything to draw attention. Hope it stays that way.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Since Polaris has tried to re-invent the belt drive ( fixed center-no adjustment, different belt tooth pitch, unique sprocket tooth design) we should maybe listen to their recommendations this season.

I don't read the break-in instructions as don't go over 1/2 throttle. I read it as don't chop the throttle more than 50%. Kinda ride smooth and don't stay at full throttle for prolonged periods of time.
This seems to me to be the same way to break-in an engine or drivebelt. The QD just takes an extra ride or two.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Hers is a very good article from Snoriders West regarding QD Belt Break in. It explains what is happening with the gears and the belt well.

http://snoriderswest.com/article/inside-your-ride/breaking_in_your_new_sled

From the Article:

"The belt drive is geared square and the belt is grooved square so it is imperative that sufficient break-in time be allotted for this system. Taking the time to break in the belt-drive gears and your belt only makes sense.

After you have broken in the gear grooves for the belt drive, the next belt installed will not need as much break-in time because the gears will already have smoothed into optimum condition. To ensure proper break-in, vary your RPMs—rather than holding it wide open—for the first 160 kilometres of use. From the factory, the belts contain a mould release compound on the surface. This needs to be gradually worn off. If the belt gets too hot, it could mess with the integrity of the belt system. You’ll notice a fibrous residue shed from the belt. Simply wipe with a dry shop towel to remove the residue. This is completely normal."
Ok , so what needs to be done is that you have to sacrafice a belt to break in the gears and than the next belt will break in a little quicker so on a so forth till the gears are worn out . Good thing is it tells you which is the stronger of the two .

M
Feb 22, 2013
Mine has 250 miles on it and no problems, but i have 2 friends that already busted theirs one at 250 miles the other at 700 miles. Doesn't look good, I would rather have a chaincase, starting to regret my decision...

D
Nov 22, 2010
Have talked to many dealerships, one sold 80 sleds 8 have taken out belts thats 10 percent , thats a problem ! especially when you consider each time one breaks you no longer have any drive or brake ! Watched my buddy climbing a chute , the belt breaks and he and the sled start going down the chute . Call it lucky or divine intervention but the ski caught an edge , flipped him off on the sled and stopped 5 feet from him ! I guess someone has to die before they consider this a problem !!!!!

Premium Features