• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 trail touring 550 problems, will 2009 go the same route?

W
Dec 30, 2012
I have read TONS of stuff about the problems with the Polaris 550 fan. I bought my 2008 used, and it has seized twice! The second time after only 20 miles, and I was going 30-50 on open field in 6" snow the whole time! There is only about 1500 miles on it. There was no oil pump modifictions on it. My dealer mechanic tells me there are no "kits" available any more for: heat sheilds, oil pumps, or "air intake" modification.

I found some "heat sheilds" online and ebay. I was thinking of getting the 2008 cylinders rebuilt, and just adding 2 cycle oil directly to the gas (1:50). Perhaps also cutting additional vent holes in my cowl (if there are some generic vent hole screen kits out there).

I am not a mechanic AT ALL, I hate grease and metal (I love sawdust and nails). SO....WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY PLANS?

By the way, I bought a 2009 Trail Touring at the same time. I have 200 miles on it, and so far no issues. Will this start happening with this sled too?

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
For one, better drop that part about hating grease and metal. You will be required to love it in the end for all this to work well. Get the engine working again and while you are at it, inspect all oil/fuel lines and filters and make sure that is in order. There were a few issues with lean conditions and subsequent engine seizures when constant rpm speeds were kept for extended periods (varying the throttle settings all the time, cures that). My 2000 and 2009 550's ran flawlessly in all temps and the 550's are the most prominent sled out in real world Alaska (ease of maintenance, the love to pull and their low snow capabilities). But then again, we love grease and metal. 550iq

W
Dec 30, 2012
"don't like metal & grease"

I spent my youth on the athletic fields and framing crews. I didn't have enough time or money to be a "grease monkey". I worked on cars in college only out of necessity, and it was never at a good time, and usually bad weather without a garage. I know enough to talk to a mechanic, I don't want to be one!

All the bad things I read on the fan cooled 550 seems to be heat and oil issues. The lean burn doesn't mean much to me (my guess is to little fuel, too much air). What I have read is air intake into carburator near exhaust manifold, and oil pump issues.

Would it be a problem to just add oil to the gas in the tank?

P
Nov 29, 2012
Alaska
oil bleed kit is still available...just put it on my 2005 550 rmk trail...lower your needle clip a notch to fatten up mid range....ride it like you stole it :p motor runs like a dream...set up is EVERYTHING with this motor...buddy has one with over 24000 miles on it

P
Nov 29, 2012
Alaska
oil bleeder kit part # 2203889, I bought one last month from polaris dealer, it cost 42$. If your polaris dealer / mechanic doesnt know about availabilty of kits he might not know how to properly set up your sled...right there will burn one down. A dealer selling you a sled is one thing. A dealer selling you a sled and making sure its properly set up for the conditions you will be riding it in and having knowledge of any service kits and adjustments is something entirely different. I cant tell you how many times ive bought lightly used machines and the person says "its never seemed quite right from the day I bought it", "never has idled right", "really hard to start in the cold", etc,etc,. Take it home, open it up and find ,the wrong jets, throttle cable misadjusted, air screw wrong, track tension wrong. One time I found a jack shaft bearing that had never been lubed...bone dry...never seen grease in its life.

Premium Features