• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 600 RMK w/151 gearing/clutch setup

C

Copperhed

Sep 12, 2012
Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming
Hello, I have a 2002 RMK 600 that I have added a 151x16x2.25 track to. I have put on 8T extros and 8 inch wheels. It has a aftermarket can and a high flow airbox.

Sled currently has stock chaincase gearing and stock clutch setup. I am riding in 8-10k feet, powder.

I was able to get it out this weekend and do some riding. Sled wasn't reving to 8k if I started in the powder. If I got it reved up in a track and then went in the powder it would stay. Even with the 8T drivers I think I need to gear it down some more.

What do you guys think? Any gearing/clutching advice to help me out? I would appreciate any/all input.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Button driven clutch or does it have the Polaris roller driven?

That's a lot of track for the stock 600, but I would try a little more secondary spring first... hold it in low gear longer and let the revs build.

sled_guy

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
There is neither enough clearance for a 16 inch wide track, nor a 2 1/4" lug, to keep from friction robbing you have HP. You made a mistake with that track. Should have only made the leap to a 151 x 2" x 15" wide track.

C

Copperhed

Sep 12, 2012
The driven clutch has buttons not rollers.

I forgot to mention the track is ported also. While I agree the 16 wide track is pushing it, the 2.25 lugs are not even close to touching the tunnel. With the smaller 8T drivers there is more room than there was with the 9T drivers and 2 inch track.

This current track even weighs less than my 144 did. Should I get a heavier spring for the secondary or just adjust the current one in the notches?

Last edited:
C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
what is your gearing it it now? I am running 19/41or42 on my 2002 700 151 so you should come in close to that for the mountains.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I'd be looking at that driven spring... you can try tightening it up a couple of notches and see if makes a difference. If the ends aren't lined up its time for a new spring anyway.

sled_guy

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
sounds like a good set up to me.
cleaned your clutches lately? what spring setting is it on now?
theres a couple adjustments you can make settin up good ol button clutches...

Last edited:
C

Copperhed

Sep 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. I have checked the Driven clutch spring and the ends do line up as they should and its in the #3 position. Both clutches are clean, I pretty much have been doing a complete cleaning/replacing of warn parts since this fall. There shouldn't be any "maintenance" issues anymore. I just need to get the clutching/gearing sorted out.

Anyway, I have been wanting to gear it down so I am going to try a 17/41 gear set and then ride it again. Then see what I need to do with the clutches, add weight maybe and adjust the driven clutch spring.

This gear combo should put me at 65mph at a 1:1 ratio which should be great for this 600 in the mountains. I'll have the gears in Friday and test it this weekend.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Wow, that is really gearing it down... along with the smaller drivers.

Next question you will have is why your RPMs are bouncing all over the place. :)

sled_guy

Premium Features