• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 700 with no spark

E
Dec 15, 2009
mead, wa
rebuilt motor, complete tear down and i got it all put back together and it ran like a champ, went for a nice easy 30 mile ride with no problems. the following weeekend went to saltese and got about a mile up the trail and it started losin power and spit and spuderin. so i pulled the plugs, every looked good well the spittin and spuderin progressively got worse and eventually everything was soaked in gas. so i brought it home and started goin through it and thought that something must have got into the airbox and/or carbs so i cleaned all that up put it all back together and now its got no spark:face-icon-small-con the head light comes on when you pull it.is there a way to test the electrical componets thanx guys and have a merry christmas!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
It could be a couple things.

Ive seen similar symptoms from a couple different things.

1. the coil pack might have went bad. My buddys 02 edge X 800 lost power then just flat out died, turned out the coil pack was shot.

2. My 04 800 did exactly what you described my stator was shot.

3. but least likely the computer went bad. I have only seem this once on a sled that the stator was putting out incorrect voltage.

What I always do when I run into this situation is 2 things. Try a coil pack from a known working sled. if that doesn't work I try putting in a new computer. Both of these items are easy to just quickly swap in to check to verify if they work. If not neither one solve your problem then its your stator.

M
Feb 1, 2010
newulm mn
I had the same thing happen to me. There is the 1by2 inch plugin for the brain box that a wire broke off that powers the coil pack. I found it by lighty pulling on the wires and that one came right out souterd it back in and fired right up.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The stator has two electrical systems. One system for the engine and one system for the lights. When the lighting section goes out it affects the engine, but it still runs just not great. But your entire engine section appears to have gone out. You still have lights so that half is still OK. Stators are real expensive. Used stators are undependable because they already have an unknown number of miles on them and chances are that they are on the verge of going out. 2000 to 4000 miles is when they go out.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
A broken thermister wire on top of top cylinders, will cause you to lose the spark. Some shop mechanics like to bend the lead wires that come out of the thermister top, in order to put a sharp kink in them, in order to cause a premature failure of those wires and send it back to the shop. The thermister completes the electrical circuit similar to the kill switch. So you can check your thermister by unplugging it and then inserting a short wire with bare ends into the two plug lead holes that return to the electrical system. If the engine now starts, but did not before, you have a bad thermister. Which is a relatively cheap fix providing you did not hire the mechanic who sabotaged your sled to begin with, to find the problem.

There is a main electrical plug that plugs into the bottom of the CDI box, that also tends to lose its purchase due to a fatigue failure in the clamping system. That can be zip tied to keep that plug from coming out. Coils don't generally go out. But if you have a buddy with either a 700 or 800, you can interchange CDI boxes, to see if that was the problem. Coils cannot be removed very easily. Stators are obviously a bigger deal to replace because you have to pull the flywheel. If you need a spare cdi part no. 2201924, I have one that works and will sell it to you for $50 plus 3 day shipping. Carlscycle.com will give you part numbers.

Premium Features