• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 tuning help

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
I just rejetted my sled and started it up. the mag side cylinder is running way to lean at idle, and the pto side is too rich.

Even if i screw the fuel screw all the way out it makes no difference. the cylinder is getting WAY too hot.

Clogged oil line?

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
mag side is white/ dry, pto side is wet, black. oil line is not plugged, i even tried jetting mag side a size richer but nothing is working. its just running really really lean on the mag side cylinder

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Are the plugs the same heat range? Are they the correct heat range?

Plugged up pilot jet maybe? Are the pilot jets the same between the two carbs? Do you have the same needles and same E-clip settings on the two carbs? Broken off needle on the MAG side, plugging the main jet completely?

Is the compression good (even) between the two cylinders?

Could be a leak somewhere to make it lean as well. Torn carb boots, leaky MAG crank seal, missing crankcase drain plug (located below the exhaust near the bottom edge of the crankcase 8mm pipe plugs). Not sure what a bad reed could show up as.

I'm just throwing out ideas since I'm sure you'd like to get to riding.

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
the plugs are the exact same, brand new today. needles the same, pilot jets ok and the same.

checked oil pump and belt and they seem ok, but even at idle with the oil pump at wot setting there was no smoke like usual.

I was just warming it up to get it ready for tomorrow cuz its dumping here and it started with a bad lean pop and seems like its not getting any oil or fuel into the mag side cylinder.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
also check for broken reed peddles,
how many miles on the motor??? what all was done to it as in mods??
did you change pilots jets??
rule of thumb on jetting!! get your pilot jetting correct first it always has fuel coming it and will change your jetting down the line every where!!
Then get your main jet close (note on the fat side) (also note this will be a day of jetting and not when you our on a ride with friends) after you have both of them!! then you can dial in the mid range! ( note plug reading is very old school and just does not do well with what you want!! get a good light to read wash and do it that way):drum:

Are the plugs the same heat range? Are they the correct heat range?

Plugged up pilot jet maybe? Are the pilot jets the same between the two carbs? Do you have the same needles and same E-clip settings on the two carbs? Broken off needle on the MAG side, plugging the main jet completely?

Is the compression good (even) between the two cylinders?

Could be a leak somewhere to make it lean as well. Torn carb boots, leaky MAG crank seal, missing crankcase drain plug (located below the exhaust near the bottom edge of the crankcase 8mm pipe plugs). Not sure what a bad reed could show up as.

I'm just throwing out ideas since I'm sure you'd like to get to riding.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Make sure you did not get the wrong pilot jet in there. check them again to make sure!! if it ran OK before I would say the jets our different!!

I just rejetted my sled and started it up. the mag side cylinder is running way to lean at idle, and the pto side is too rich.

Even if i screw the fuel screw all the way out it makes no difference. the cylinder is getting WAY too hot.

Clogged oil line?

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
A bad lean pop has nothing to do with the oiler, If you flip the choke on does it change how it runs? Either starving for fuel(Plugged fuel circuit)or Air leak .

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
800 jetting, specs

Clogged oil line?

You didn't mention what year 800?

2002's had 55 pilots

2003's had 40 pilots with different needles

attached are the 2002 & 2003 specs

Check to make sure you have the correct needles as well

Attachments

• SLED 2002 800 specs.jpg
    SLED 2002 800 specs.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 841
  • SLED 2002 800 JETTING specs page 2.jpg
    SLED 2002 800 JETTING specs page 2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 945
  • SLED 2003 JETTING CHART.jpg
    SLED 2003 JETTING CHART.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 2,305
  • SLED 2003 JETTING CHART #2.jpg
    SLED 2003 JETTING CHART #2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,854
R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
its a 2003 vertical escape. I only changed the main jets, not the pilots,

it does run better with the choke on, i found a air leak in the ves valve, but fixed it and but it doesnt run any better.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
What size pilots are in it? If you're carburation is correct, you very likely have an air leak as the guys above have suggested.

Take carb boots off and inspect for cracks.

Check everything people on here have told you to check, then report back if that's all good (I doubt it will be).

Did you ever check the timing? I remember you posting about this sled a week or two ago.

R

renotay

Sep 27, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks for all the help guys.

It looks like the crankcase drain plug fell out, I threw a little bolt in there and it runs pretty damn good again. no more lean pop.

Yea I checked the timing and its right, im packin up to head for the rubys right now so hopefully with some luck i wont have any more trouble for a little while

Premium Features